Portsmouth west @ bishop Hartley

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Portsmouth west @ bishop Hartley

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

wobycat wrote:Run and shoot

You are not going to convince anyone down here that teams like Hartley, Ursuline, etc aren't put together. Or at least pursued by parents. If that wasn't the case, no a.d. In their mind would schedule d2, d3, and d1 schools. If Portsmouth Norte dame had an upgraded school, they would be doing the same thing. Only rich people, or private funds allow these students to go there.
thanks man, I've been watching ironton battle these built teams since 72, and ole bait knows what he speaks of.
I hope it's a great game with west upsetting them. and obviously the odds on favorite is west, and coldwater. and remember where this game will be played as well. you are going to have to beat more than the team, i'll leave it at that. but nothing would suit me more than to see the siders smack em right in the jib.and I have a ton of catholic friends as well that went to catholic schools, and they know. this is not about race, religion, or anything else. it's about fabricated teams from huge metro areas that can chose kids from hundreds of thousands of kids.and yet they missed moving up a divison by 2 players pah------------leeze louise.

AHM
Freshman Team

Post by AHM »

Jolly P(irate) wrote:There is absolutely no way Hartley puts a running clock on Burg or Ironton.
If the running clock rule was in effect last year, Hartley would have had one against wheelersburg.

The last 2 times hartley has played Ironton (the last 2 years) Hartley has asked for shorten quarters. Hartley won handily in what would have been a running clock under the current rules.

Hartley is much better this year than in years past do you can draw your win conclusions. Looks like well see on the field in the coming weeks.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

there are waiting lists and I know that for a fact to get into these schools.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

then there is this year ahm, that's what we're chatting about.
this year, this team, this game.

Bulldog
Waterboy

Post by Bulldog »

This doesn't have much to do with West coming to Columbus this weekend but I noticed the highest ranked SE OH team in Drew Pasteur's Fantastic 50 is Jackson at #49. Hartley is #38. Totally meaningless to the West / Hartley topic, but it might be relevant down the road - say week 13 at a neutral site. I'm pretty sure the Hartley players are only hearing about their week 11 opponent and then they'll be coached for a week 12 opponent if they advance. As several have already said, anything can happen. That thinking should also apply to seeds 2, 3, & 4.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

The private school thing is a sore spot with a lot of people and as I said it has been justified by the heiarchy with the multiplier.

I don't blame people for wanting their kids to have good instruction, play on a good team, and get a great education. It opens doors for these kids including being noticed more by recruiters and possibly keeps them a bit more isolated from drugs and violence. Great for them.

But for these loaded teams that have handpicked D1 to D3 talent playing against public D5 schools where you get what you get is wrong.

Bulldog
Waterboy

Post by Bulldog »

Paying tuition is a serious sacrafice for my family. It bugs me to think hard work and sacrafice is deemed unfair to some. The reality in this case is Hartley develops young men and women to be far more than athletes. I didn't go there; I'm from southeast OH. Hartley has a successful football team because they work hard and sacrifice. Add in a great leader like Burchfield and you've got something special. Some might think it's unfair.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Birdofprey wrote:Paying tuition is a serious sacrafice for my family. It bugs me to think hard work and sacrafice is deemed unfair to some. The reality in this case is Hartley develops young men and women to be far more than athletes. I didn't go there; I'm from southeast OH. Hartley has a successful football team because they work hard and sacrifice. Add in a great leader like Burchfield and you've got something special. Some might think it's unfair.
We get it man. You live in the suburbs. Drive a nice car. We get it. It prolly sit well when your hear the bigg 44 in mud tires roaring down your street. :lol:

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Moved
Last edited by Westfan on Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Piratefan2
Varsity

Post by Piratefan2 »

Does Hartley have other successful athletic departments? Baseball, softball, valley ball, soccer, basketball, track, cross country, swim team, golf, etc.??????

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Birdofprey wrote:Paying tuition is a serious sacrafice for my family. It bugs me to think hard work and sacrafice is deemed unfair to some. The reality in this case is Hartley develops young men and women to be far more than athletes. I didn't go there; I'm from southeast OH. Hartley has a successful football team because they work hard and sacrifice. Add in a great leader like Burchfield and you've got something special. Some might think it's unfair.
I think it's noble if you really try to do what's right for your kids. What's wrong, outside of maybe a few open enrollment tranfers that are few and far between, Hartley is playing against public schools where every boy in their school district counts toward their enrollment. Not handpicked athletes gathered together on a built team.

Does Hartley give athletic "scholarships"?

How far do kids come to play there?
Last edited by Westfan on Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

AHM wrote:
Jolly P(irate) wrote:There is absolutely no way Hartley puts a running clock on Burg or Ironton.
If the running clock rule was in effect last year, Hartley would have had one against wheelersburg.

The last 2 times hartley has played Ironton (the last 2 years) Hartley has asked for shorten quarters. Hartley won handily in what would have been a running clock under the current rules.

Hartley is much better this year than in years past do you can draw your win conclusions. Looks like well see on the field in the coming weeks.

When did Hartley ever have a 30 point lead against Wheelersburg last year? Burg was matching them score for score until burg "fumbled" deep in Hartley territory when burg was going for the tie. They got down two TD' s and couldn't make up the difference. Like someone said earlier Hartley struggled stopping the burg QB running the ball so maybe ghost is the answer.

West needs to have long scoring drives and keep hartleys offense on the sidelines. Anything can happen.

Piratefan2
Varsity

Post by Piratefan2 »

I remember the Burg/ Hartley game....it was back and forth like neither team had a defense! until like you said....Burg fumbled and Hartley went up by 2 tds.
ANYTHING can happen at ANY game!

piratepride86
JV Team

Post by piratepride86 »

answer this then how much % wise does your church pay towards your childs tuition?

piratepride86
JV Team

Post by piratepride86 »

Go West

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

run n shoot 08 wrote:
Westfan wrote:Absolutely Hartley has an advantage. Most private schools do and it has been acknowledged by AD's allover the state. That's why the multiplier is being put in place.

Hartley is a big team. They may not be as big as the bigger Columbus schools you are comparing them too but they will be huge compared to West upfront. This may be the smallest West team in recent memory.

Hartley's line and the backs are very thick and physical. Not to mention athletic. It's going to be a heck of a challenge to slow them down. But the West kids are gritty and our staff does have experience playing Hartley, so maybe they can come up with a good plan.
Obviously you haven't seen Hartley this year. Hartley will not be much bigger if at all.
Competitive balance crap isn't happening. Tho only advantage is that they are in a more disciplined environment through the day and are held to higher standards than public school kids. It is a huge commitment for the kids to go to a private school, and a lot of kids aren't able to handle it.

Is it a coincidence that the little Catholic communities in the MAC, and the Catholic schools are typically the most successful when it comes to sports?
Tell me you don't really believe a thing in that comment you posted. There is no coincidence Catholic school in suburban/metro areas have a distinct advantage over schools the same size in rural. When you can pick and choose(recruit) the student(atheletes) you want in your school.

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

I know for a fact catholic schools have sponsers/boosters/benifactors who will help or pay tuition for kids to go there or just waive it all together. That is why if you go to pee-wee ball games in the bigger metro areas you will see the catholic schools there handing out recruiting packets to get kids into their feeder schools. Ive seen it first hand!

JasonClaytor
Freshman Team

Post by JasonClaytor »

PirateFan2 wrote:Does Hartley have other successful athletic departments? Baseball, softball, valley ball, soccer, basketball, track, cross country, swim team, golf, etc.??????
Yeah
Last edited by JasonClaytor on Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Who cares about all that. For real that is what everyone always talks about. It was all over the Ironton threads eaelier in the year. We have kids open enroll in other schools all the time for sports. It is really a moot point. Lace em up tight and play some football. This is about all the kids anyways. They have put in a ton of hard work all year and this is something they have earned. Open enrolled, in the district, paying tuition or whatever it may be. They all deserve the same respect as everyone else. Come to play football and see what happens.

xxChampionxx 5
Riding the Bench

Post by xxChampionxx 5 »

Westfan wrote:Absolutely Hartley has an advantage. Most private schools do and it has been acknowledged by AD's allover the state. That's why the multiplier is being put in place..
i'm looking forward to seeing division 7 become competitive again once perennial football powerhouses like Portsmouth Notre Dame, Ironton St. Joe, Lancaster Fisher, Bellaire St. John's, and Zanesville Rosecrans are punished for their perpetual stranglehold on the 32 SEO counties and who knows how many counties of northern Kentucky, western PA, and West Virginia talent pools not even counting all the imported Texas blue chip stars (whose dads claimed to have moved here for fracking, wink-wink nudge-nudge, as if) who followed the lure of infinite recruiting funds to secure an endless succession of state championships are finally bumped up to Division 6 where they belong. Once these schools learn their lesson and suffer repeated, ignominious defeats on the gridiron, they can return to their academic roots and teach my kids how to not write run on sentences like dumb Appalachians like me. With the multiplier in place good, clean, American schools like Maria Stein Marion Local will have a long awaited chance to win a championship on a level playing field. Amen to that, I say. The sooner, the better.

Return to “Football”