State Championship 14-0 Kirtland v the 13-1 Ironton Fighting Tigers

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: State Championship 14-0 Kirtland v the 14-0 Ironton Fighting Tigers

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

LucasDavenport wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:46 am
countywide35 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:59 am Hopefully for one week this thread won’t be trashed talked about Ironton/Burg. For goodness sakes drop the swords for 6days. Start a thread Dec 8 2019 “Ironton/Burg 2020” and leave it out of the state championship game thread. Geez.
Last night about 1am I went through and cleaned this thread up. Some posters had posts deleted because they quoted a certain post that was atrocious. I deleted another one that wasn’t as bad to simply try and keep this thread from going off the rails.

Ironton vs Kirtland. State Championship Thread. We should expect better.

Let’s talk about the game or wish the Tigers luck or talk about how good Kirtland is .... plenty of good things to discuss.

Thank you to Several who have helped.

The Ironton fans and kids deserve this thread to be about them!!!
I could not agree more. if just for this one week can we talk about the 2 teams that are actually playing for the state title. we can do that the next 6 days I think. every topic about ironton is not about the burg. it's great if burg fans are rooting for us. they should be. ask them how much support they got from fighting tiger fans a couple of years ago. but I think the tigers have won like 13 regionals. and this is their 9th trip to the state title game. think about that 9 state championship games from a lil ole public school from southern ohio. so let's give these 2 fine programs the respect they deserve this week. and Kirtland, seems like every time there are state title games they're in there. so regardless of what any poster says. there is nobody in ironton's locker room that is taking this one for granted. and that's all that matters.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Giorgio Tsoukalous
JV Team

Post by Giorgio Tsoukalous »

Is it wrong of me to be disgusted because the state championship games are in canton? And it's only 67 miles from Kirtland highschool to Canton? Is it wrong that i hope any team from NEO loses every game they ever play against any team from the southern part of the state? Go Tigers and PLEASE POUND KIRTLAND and bring back a championship!!!!!!

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Read the thread and lots of errors here. First Kirtland is NOT a Youngstown area school. They are an upscale suburb of Cleveland metro. Second , their coach, Tiger LaVerde, is a nearby Youngstown native of Oil City, Pa.

Next, disregard film on them. What doesn’t show is how strong the players are, a result of one of the greatest weight program in the state, regardless of division. Also their O looks simple and it is except they have multiple line blocking calls on each play. Simple execution with line blocking calls at their advantage run by exceptionally strong kids. They are raw bone big kids, not of the fat overweight variety typical of the river. Finally, Kirtland now KEEPS all their players who years ago had their best go to Benedictine, Lake Catholic, VASJ and Notre Dame Cathedral Latin.

Don’t kid yourself, Kirtland is a heavy favorite. CalPreps and Fantastic 50 has them favored. I saw Kirtland this year and it’s one of Tiger’s best. Let me go against the parochial view here - Kirtland by 14. And may be worse.

Enjoy the game.

Have gun, will travel
Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:20 pm Is it wrong of me to be disgusted because the state championship games are in canton? And it's only 67 miles from Kirtland highschool to Canton? Is it wrong that i hope any team from NEO loses every game they ever play against any team from the southern part of the state? Go Tigers and PLEASE POUND KIRTLAND and bring back a championship!!!!!!
No lol. It’s a home game for Kirtland. But ironton will bring there best game.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
Beergogglebluez
SE

Paladin wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:22 pm Read the thread and lots of errors here. First Kirtland is NOT a Youngstown area school. They are an upscale suburb of Cleveland metro. Second , their coach, Tiger LaVerde, is a nearby Youngstown native of Oil City, Pa.

Next, disregard film on them. What doesn’t show is how strong the players are, a result of one of the greatest weight program in the state, regardless of division. Also their O looks simple and it is except they have multiple line blocking calls on each play. Simple execution with line blocking calls at their advantage run by exceptionally strong kids. They are raw bone big kids, not of the fat overweight variety typical of the river. Finally, Kirtland now KEEPS all their players who years ago had their best go to Benedictine, Lake Catholic, VASJ and Notre Dame Cathedral Latin.

Don’t kid yourself, Kirtland is a heavy favorite. CalPreps and Fantastic 50 has them favored. I saw Kirtland this year and it’s one of Tiger’s best. Let me go against the parochial view here - Kirtland by 14. And may be worse.

Enjoy the game.
Kirtland is the real deal. I have followed them for years. Constantly good and do not make mistakes. I never thought in a million years that ironton would play Kirtland ever but it’s awesome it’s happening.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:38 am
greygoose wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:15 am
BlizzardMan wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:13 am Who cares what Kirtland did in D6? It's a cakewalk compared to D5. Ironton wins this one easily. Probably easier game than this week. Congrats on a state title Tigers! Might as well make room for it! Also, the reminiscing of the Lutz days can finally be done too.
2008 : regional runner up
2009 : no playoffs
2010 : regional runner up
2011 : state champs
2012 : state runner up
2013 : state champs
2014 : state runner up
2015 : state champs
2016 : regional runner up
2017 : state runner up
2018 : state champs

If that run down right there isn't enough for you to respect and understand what opponent Ironton is getting ready to take on then nothing will. All season long most have had Kirtland ranked #1 overall for DV. I truly hope most people don't buy into this and understand what opponent they're dealing with. Just over the last 4 years Kirtland has played an extra season compared to Ironton, they've dealt with the likes of Coldwater a team that routinely put a running clock on burg, Maria Stein Local another team that has won state championship after state championship, so for anyone to think it's a team that's been in DVI and now they're DV this will be easy could be in a for a rude awakening. I hope they do steam roll Kirtland but Kirtland is right along with those great MAC schools in that they have proved they are the team to beat year in and year out and tops in their division for a reason.

Final State AP Poll.
DIVISION V
1. Kirtland (17), 10-0, 179
2. West Lafayette Ridgewood, 10-0, 132
3. Oak Harbor, 10-0, 114
4. Eastwood, 10-0, 110
5. Ironton (1), 9-1, 103
6. Orrville, 9-1, 91
7. West Liberty-Salem, 9-1, 61
8. West Jefferson, 9-1, 53
9. Cincinnati Taft, 9-1, 33
10. Liberty-Benton, 9-1, 18

Never underestimate an opponent and I know Pendleton will be preaching this to his kids regardless of what the score was against West Jeff as quite honestly that was all most expected, maybe not that bad but it was never going to be close.
I'm with you goose to think this will be a cake walk is absurd.
I didn't say this would be a cakewalk. I said D6 compared to D5 is NO COMPARISON! Ironton has been more impressive this postseason by far.

sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

Post by sapientia et veritas »

Kirtland big. They're a machine.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Ironton is a huge underdog. Most of us are behind you !

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Paladin wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:22 pm Read the thread and lots of errors here. First Kirtland is NOT a Youngstown area school. They are an upscale suburb of Cleveland metro. Second , their coach, Tiger LaVerde, is a nearby Youngstown native of Oil City, Pa.

Enjoy the game.
You had to do all that so you could get your “fat overweight variety typical of the river” comment in.

Good luck tigers.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

countywide35 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:56 am And send kirtland back to Youngstown area bruised and battered. GO Tigers!!! Congrats on making it to Canton.
Kirtland is in Lake County Ohio. One county directly East of Cleveland located on Lake Erie.

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

Post by sapientia et veritas »

Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:20 pmIs it wrong of me to be disgusted because the state championship games are in canton?
No. And when people talk about rotating, they only talk about Columbus, NEO, NWO, and SWO. Peden would be a great place to play the championship games.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Good Luck to Ironton

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

I understand what your saying but oak harbor killed themselves with turnovers they could have definitely beat Kirtland if they didn’t give up a pick 6 and a few costly fumbles. If ironton plays a clean game they win

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
swamisez
JV Team

Post by swamisez »

Its hard for me to imagine Kirtland offense of line moving the defense around like what I saw on film. They are very sound in their technique for sure, but if Ironton subs at the interior and scrapes the ends with linebackers, I honestly don’t know what they’d do to move the ball? I saw no indication of being able to get the ball out in space?

Maybe they have some variations but? Anyone seen something vertical?

The Nature Boy
JV Team

Post by The Nature Boy »

Don't under estimate the river teams. Ironton is an animal. They are very well coached and built like a college team. They do a lot of things well and I will take country strong over gym weight strong any day. Those boys have been working to get to this point since Pendleton arrived on the scene. Ironton belongs in this game. Folks can say what they want but Ironton is for real and I don't see anybody blowing them out. Go ask Ridgewood and West Jefferson what they think of Ironton. Git r dun Tigers.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

LucasDavenport wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:55 pm

Enjoy the game.
You had to do all that so you could get your “fat overweight variety typical of the river” comment in.

Good luck tigers.
he's a piece of work alright.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:28 pm
Paladin wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:22 pm Don’t kid yourself, Kirtland is a heavy favorite. CalPreps and Fantastic 50 has them favored. I saw Kirtland this year and it’s one of Tiger’s best. Let me go against the parochial view here - Kirtland by 14. And may be worse.

Enjoy the game.

Good luck tigers.
As of now, Drew Pasteur hasn't come out with his predictions. He updates them weekly and I doubt he's going to have Kirtland as "Heavy favorites." Calpreps on the Predict a Matchup does have Kirtland favoried by a TD, but that doesn't take into account Saturday's results. Although, I do not think it will change much, Calreps won't release their prediction until Tuesday at Noon. I agree Ironton is the underdog here, but to call Kirtland heavy favorites is a bit of a stretch.

I'm sure Tiger LaVerde aka The Green Tiger will have his squad ready, but so will Pendleton. As of now, I'm calling this a tossup.

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Sounds like it is going to be a hard hitting, intense game. I believe Ironton has what it takes to bring home that third title. I’ll be cheering for you.

Beergogglebluez
SE

vladimir wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:14 pm
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:28 pm

Good luck tigers.
As of now, Drew Pasteur hasn't come out with his predictions. He updates them weekly and I doubt he's going to have Kirtland as "Heavy favorites." Calpreps on the Predict a Matchup does have Kirtland favoried by a TD, but that doesn't take into account Saturday's results. Although, I do not think it will change much, Calreps won't release their prediction until Tuesday at Noon. I agree Ironton is the underdog here, but to call Kirtland heavy favorites is a bit of a stretch.

I'm sure Tiger LaVerde aka The Green Tiger will have his squad ready, but so will Pendleton. As of now, I'm calling this a tossup.
Has Kirtland as 10 point favorites
Attachments
00414992-B87C-4254-B56B-2697ACD13C9D.png

Return to “Football”