August 17, 2023 Portsmouth 59 - 29 Valley

Lovehoops1
Freshman Team

Re: Week 1: Valley @ Portsmouth

Post by Lovehoops1 »

pmow3 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:44 pm
jujubean wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:53 pm
pmow3 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:17 pm

Realign? We’ve been fine with realignment for years. The division 1 basketball schools (specifically clay) has as much power as we do on conference realignment.
We were in SOC 1 for all of the 90’s and much of the 2000’s. It took years to get us into the SOC2. We competed for about 10 years, wining 3 titles in a row. It was a special group of kids for a 5 year span there. But that is not the case anymore.
We can’t just decide on our own to drop down.
It’s not that simple.
Conference realignment would be great if you could convince clay and other schools to let us do it.

Realignment power should only concern those with a dog in the fight. Clay, South Webster, New Boston, and other SOC schools that do not support football should not have a vote. Maybe they don't, but I believe we're talking football, so I'm they do. Maybe it's time to disband "conferences". Not sure what they are good for except it makes scheduling easier.

Valley is competitive in all sports except for football. It's a stale issue but they don't stack up with Wheelersburg, Waverly, Minford and West but nor do they have reason to play East, Green, Eastern, etc.
I don’t disagree. But it is the way it is in the SOC. Clay AD is actually the commissioner or “Secretary” of the conference.
The vote is always swayed not to realign or bring in schools and form a new set up in football.
The politics is comical when it comes to this.
Now… granted.. all schools don’t have to do what’s best for Valley.
I get that. But there is no sense in clay or those small schools (some without football teams) making decisions on football conferences. But they do.
Each school has a seat at the table.
It’s a cluster. It’s been a cluster for a long time. We were close to going to 3 divisions in Football. It would’ve been great.
But it got voted down. Again.
I’ll let you figure out which ones voted it down.

It’s comical.
You are so so so wrong and misinformed
Clay actually came up with and supported 3 Divisions even for football. Dave Stamm is the SOC Secretary. Valley has good coaches and people they will be fine.

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

Lovehoops1 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:21 pm
pmow3 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:44 pm
jujubean wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:53 pm

Realignment power should only concern those with a dog in the fight. Clay, South Webster, New Boston, and other SOC schools that do not support football should not have a vote. Maybe they don't, but I believe we're talking football, so I'm they do. Maybe it's time to disband "conferences". Not sure what they are good for except it makes scheduling easier.

Valley is competitive in all sports except for football. It's a stale issue but they don't stack up with Wheelersburg, Waverly, Minford and West but nor do they have reason to play East, Green, Eastern, etc.
I don’t disagree. But it is the way it is in the SOC. Clay AD is actually the commissioner or “Secretary” of the conference.
The vote is always swayed not to realign or bring in schools and form a new set up in football.
The politics is comical when it comes to this.
Now… granted.. all schools don’t have to do what’s best for Valley.
I get that. But there is no sense in clay or those small schools (some without football teams) making decisions on football conferences. But they do.
Each school has a seat at the table.
It’s a cluster. It’s been a cluster for a long time. We were close to going to 3 divisions in Football. It would’ve been great.
But it got voted down. Again.
I’ll let you figure out which ones voted it down.

It’s comical.
You are so so so wrong and misinformed
Clay actually came up with and supported 3 Divisions even for football. Dave Stamm is the SOC Secretary. Valley has good coaches and people they will be fine.
While they did bring it up…..
Why would it pass for other sports and not football?

There is a proposal out now for football but why has all these other sports passed and not for football?

Lovehoops1
Freshman Team

Post by Lovehoops1 »

I was in process of answering your post but you edited it and deleted the part I was talking about. Like I said Valley has good coaches they will figure it out. They just don't have the kids to consistently beat Burg waverly west. It is what it is.
Also for 3 Div in football more schools will have to join the SOC which is coming very very soon trust me it is.

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

Lovehoops1 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:20 pm I was in process of answering your post but you edited it and deleted the part I was talking about. Like I said Valley has good coaches they will figure it out. They just don't have the kids to consistently beat Burg waverly west. It is what it is.
Also for 3 Div in football more schools will have to join the SOC which is coming very very soon trust me it is.
Yeah. I edited sorry about that. Thanks for the conversation. But you blew off the whole thing when you said “that Valley will figure it out.”

That’s nice.
But in the end, we are almost a D-7 school and we need 3 divisions.
The schools with football teams? I understand why they don’t do any favors for anyone. They shouldn’t.
But why are these schools getting a seat at the table.

I’m done talking about it.
Good luck to you and your football team.

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

pmow3 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:44 pm
Lovehoops1 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:20 pm I was in process of answering your post but you edited it and deleted the part I was talking about. Like I said Valley has good coaches they will figure it out. They just don't have the kids to consistently beat Burg waverly west. It is what it is.
Yeah. I edited sorry about that. Thanks for the conversation. But you blew off the whole thing when you said “that Valley will figure it out.”

That’s nice.
But in the end, we are almost a D-7 school and we need 3 divisions.
The schools with football teams? I understand why they don’t do any favors for anyone. They shouldn’t.
But why are these schools getting a seat at the table.

I’m done talking about it.
Good luck to you and your football team.
Because I’m very sure after this conversation, you don’t have one.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

You got this PMOW. You've been a staunch advocate of 3 Div while.some.of these posters were in diapers, 2010. Like you, I'd never wanna schedule down for the sake of a W but scheduling up 2 divisions every week is asking a lot. How would some.of the best teams.in our area fair scheduling D3 teams each and every week? Reality, right!

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

Thanks Fido…
I’m a bit out of line. It was a nice conversation. But the truth is. In the end, the football teams should decide their own football programs future. If Valley can move to a division with
(For example) oak hill, northwest, Minford, and either an expanded team, or maybe Eastern… or maybe they stay at 4 because it’s easier for schedule… that would be great.

But….!! If we can’t do it because it’s not best for the football schools to branch out and if they can’t come to a decision on what’s best because of the football schools voting it down? Well. That’s fair. I get it.

But tell me in what world, should any SOC school w/o a football program have a vote on what other football schools do with a realignment?
It just doesn’t seem right to me.
I hope it gets worked out.
I also hope much of the schedule doesn’t change for most of these schools. But the easy fix is to make a 4 or 5 or 6 team division and have flexibility to play up or down according to who you are from division to division.
I’ve listened to the arguments forever against it. That’s fine. If it can’t be done, let the football schools decide that.

Not Clay, South Webster, New Boston and Western

Just my 2 cents. I’ve been hoping to see this a long time. And it’s never happened. So I won’t hold my breath. Lol

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

It doesn't matter PMOW. At the end of the day we advocate for our community, without the nonsense

Ohiofootballfan
Waterboy

Post by Ohiofootballfan »

Portsmouth is young but will be a force to be reckoned with. Will be interesting to see how their season turns out

TrojanTru
Waterboy

Post by TrojanTru »

Ohiofootballfan wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:29 pm Portsmouth is young but will be a force to be reckoned with. Will be interesting to see how their season turns out
I agree, there’s a lot of sophomores in big spots on that roster. I’d like to see them utilize all their eligibility and gets some extra reps on Monday nights. You risk injury, but you risk injury in practice. Use em or lose em. JV is developmental and you’d be surprised what a solid JV performance/would do for the confidence of these freshman and sophomores come Friday night.

Return to “Football”