Playoffs:D6 #6 Beallsville (10-0) @ #3 River (9-1)

Steely Dan
SEOP

Playoffs:D6 #6 Beallsville (10-0) @ #3 River (9-1)

Post by Steely Dan »

Former cross-county rivalry gets reignited with this post season match-up. After fleeing the PVC a couple of years ago to go to the JV league known as the RVC, Beallsville has not played the other Monroe County teams.

Will we see a repeat of last year's playoff debacle, where Shadyside shellacked the 11-0 Blue Devils, 70-0, or will we see a competitive game in Round 1 against the Pilots?

I, for one, have been a staunch critic of the Beallsville program to moving to such a weak league, especially after what was revealed in last year's playoffs. This game may provide them some opportunity to save face.

Game is in Hannibal, Beallsville's opponents through this weekend have a combined record of 24-72, while River's opponents come in at 47-50.

I like River's defense shutting down the Blue Devils. I'll take the Pilots by 3 scores.

carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

Hmmmn,
I don't know if you'd call it a rivalry since the 2 teams haven't played each other in over 25 years in any sport. And, I don't if Beallsville fled the PVC, it's more a case of finding schools of equal enrollment to compete and give a new league a shot.
I mean, it's too bad Blue Devils lost all-Ohio candidate Aaron Lucas to an ankle a couple weeks ago. Man, that's really tough on a small school.
But then, River's lost 4 players to concussions, their starting FB Brooks has a bum shoulder too.
Let's face it, the game will be competitive because both lines are tough and both teams have a lot of speed.

Now SD, I know you're an ol' Monroe Countian so consider this year a lucky one that MCHS didn't have Beallsville on the schedule.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

CD - I really wish that they had played MC this year. It would have been a competitive game, which it was not over the last six or seven years before Beallsville left the PVC, and ended the cross-county rivalry. Would I have been surprised to see Beallsville win this year? No. If they would have played MC, maybe they'd be hosting insteading of travelling down SR 536 to Rt. 7 South.....

My friends from Beallsville did not want to see the series end either, but Coach Caldwell elected to not schedule MC as a non-conference foe.

Woodsfield-Beallsville games were something special for many years, too bad they had to end.

As for the two teams not playing for 25 years, that adds even more meaning to this game. Good luck to both teams.

Doing someone else's Dirty Work....
carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

Gotta agree on that SD, those games were something special. Bet I saw close to 25 of them. Always remembered Ch. 7 doing the broadcast on some.

Are you going to making it up for this game? Or is there a game down your way?

Rock Hill plays at St. Clairsville same night. Might be interesting, or Steubenville Central at Shadyside. Darn, why'd all these games have to be on same night, same time? LOL.

I would like to see UL-Waverly actually but can't afford to drive 3 hrs. to see that one.

This game is going to be interesting because no team throw on River this year like Beallsville will at least attempt to. I look for QB Kevin Stoney to put it up 40-42 times. A lot of passes to the backs in the flat.

River's gonna pound it on the ground with RB Troy Starr. It's likely to be a flat out war in the trenches. Hope the weather holds up. River's field should be in great shape. They always have it looking nice over there.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

CD - Since this is a 7 PM Saturday game, I just may make it up that way. It is just a little over an hour from my house to Hannibal, and if the weather isn't too bad, I may drive up to catch this one. I probably should, so I can see for myself how good Beallsville is this year.

The only game involving a team down this way will be played by Belpre up at Dublin Scioto against Bishop Ready, so I'm not making that trip :shock:

The Waverly - UL game should be a good one, but even from my place, Waverly is a pretty good drive. SCC and Shadyside ought to be a dandy, too. I don't see St.C and Rock Hill being a very close contest. Now those folks have a long haul from Rock Hill to St. C. Rock Hill is 1 hr 45 minutes from where I live in Athens County......

The Blue Devil - Pilot game should be a good one, so there's a chance I may take this one in. 8)

carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

Can't wait to see this one and how coach Caldwell will attack River's staunch defensive unit, one of the best in recent memory.

Beallsville finds a weak spot in most defenses, but it should be interesting to see how this pans out.

SD - If ya come up I think you'll see a pretty decent ballgame.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Double Oughts at the end of the first Qtr.

0-0

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Third qtr

Beallsville 14

River 0

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Final yet?

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Unofficially -

20-14 River wins

carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

Heckuva game wasn't it SD?

Beallsville's penalties hurt them, but man, what a finish. Exciting.

Blue Devils really have some speed and it'd been interesting to see how it went if Eric Lucas had been able to play for BHS.

If Kevin Stoney nails that field goal before halftime River might not have been able to climb out of that hole.

That was a game worthy of replay on some local cable channel. Too bad someone had to lose.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Honestly -

Closer than I thought it would be, but I'm glad that it was a barn burner. Congrats to the Blue Devils on a good year. Now River has to get ready for Shadyside, and I'm not sure if the defense will hold up this week.

Good luck to the Pilots this week!

Return to “Football”