Waverly vs. Westfall is here

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

depth charts?

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

chilltown, I wouldn't have brought up the subject unless Army hadn't attacked Westfall. When the school you root for takes a step down in competition, I don't think you can really bash Westfall or any other school. I will agree with you on Chillicothe not really being able to compete in the OCC and that they were at a disadvantage size wise. The SEOAL is weaker than the OCC and does have some smaller division members that Army criticized in Westfall's example. Just applying the same standard. But at the same time, Chillicothe has more in common with Jackson or Logan than they do with a Dublin, Hilliard or Grove City. Each school has to be what is best for themselves, in general. Chillicothe thought that decision was best, and except for travel, I agree with it. It would be nice to see that hoops team competing in the OCC because they're stacked.

Regarding the MSL, it's full now but the northern schools of Canal Winchester, Teays Valley and Hamilton are going to outgrow the Buckeye division eventually. I'd like to see the league be proactive and try to create a large school division to keep them in the fold. Regardless, I see some future opportunities for schools like Westfall and Chillicothe. They'd both be solid additions and add to the league.

Josh218
Waterboy

Weak leagues?

Post by Josh218 »

I see this being brought up alot but not sure if I understand the thinking behind it! So maybe someone can clear it up for me! From the other posters on this thread and last weeks threads and from what I have seen on other websites threads it is being assumed that Westfall is really a weak team because they are in the SVC and everyone says it is a weak league! Is that understanding right??? Here is where I get confused! Westfall beats the 2nd and 3rd place MSL Buckeye teams (both have strong winning records, one just missed the playoffs for div II and the other has made it past round 1 of the div III playoffs), Westfall beats everyone in the SVC (2 teams in the SVC just miss playoffs, but some of you say that don't count because the league is so weak) Westfall beats one of the top teams in the MVL in round one of the playoffs (Yea they said it couldn't happen too because the SVC is so weak and the Mustangs have not played a team that hits as hard as they do or a team that is as big as they are and a team that is as strong as they are and a team that is as disciplined as they are) so now it is being said again about this game! Yea, I am putting my money on Waverly also, the Mustangs can't possibly win! Don't they know who Waverly is and from where they come???

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

Josh218 EVERY YEAR we are told we cannot win in the playoffs because of the SVC being so weak.

AS I said last week the league does not matter this is about who has the talent.

wing-t
Riding the Bench

Post by wing-t »

Wow ............guess I'm not the only one that thinks Westfall is the big fish in the little pond.......................

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

BACK TO THE GAME AGAIN

I am going to take westfall 28-7

Waverly claims to have the D but it Does not show in a lot of their previous scores this season. Westfalls D however has time and again proven they are more than prepared.
Last edited by mstangmom on Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hammer755
Waterboy

w vs. w

Post by hammer755 »

these are 2 great teams and you have to be to get this far and to have won as many games in the last 2 or 3 yrs as these 2 schools have done. i am very good friends with former coach scott b and i know he has built a great team and program up at westfall. he is a winner and so are they. keller has not missed a beat with this yrs team and he has a great staff with him. so does waverly and coach rusty wright. the sad part about this game is that it is being played at teays valley, nothing against them but you cant handle the crowd, this is bad for all the great ftball fans that will be there. also, they dont have phone lines for the media either, at least not yet. it is a shame that 1 team will have to lose this game and to be truthful with ftball, 1 game and 1 nite does not mean you are truly the better team. if you were playing a series, like in baseball, then you truly can't question the credability of the winning team. waverly lost to burg and had a bad nite all around but give burg credit because they had a great nite all around. who knows what sat. nite holds but it should be a great game if both teams have there A game it will be a real shootout. but sometimes that is not always the case. good luck to both teams and both teams stay injury free and play great. to bad 1 game decides the fate of all these fine young men and fans but then again thats tourney time !!!!

hammer755
Waterboy

Post by hammer755 »

i forgot to give my score. waverly 22 westfall 21. good luck to both teams

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

As someone at the game, I would not describe St. C win over Burg as 'handily'.

Anyway, I have rooted for the Mustangs for years (neices and nephews you know...) but in this game I am rooting for the Tigers---go get them!

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

Can anyone really tell me when this Westfall V Waverly rival really started? I don't mean this year type stuff I am talking history wise. Seems to me I remember when I was in JR high on that went to to waverly to participate in sprts But I really don't know for sure. and I remember over the last few yars theres always one or 2 posters saying they would love to play westfall again.

BMAN this may be a story for you look into it see what you come up with. could make a great pregame story on these 2 schools history who kows.

E_Waugh
Freshman Team

Post by E_Waugh »

I gotta go with the Mustangs in this one.. BUT Waverly is NOT an easy opponent to take down!

Prediction

Westfall 28
Waverly 21

Good Luck to both teams!

Army
S

Post by Army »

bman618 wrote:Army, kind of how Chillicothe tucked their tail from a good conference like the OCC to join the SEOAL? The SEOAL is a league with a few D2 but D3 and D4 schools in it for a mostly D2 school through its recent history (I know you're D3 right now but the new schools will help get that enrollment back up) . The SEOAL couldn't hold the OCC's jock.

BTW...Westfall plays Teays Valley, Circleville and Logan Elm all right now. I'm a proponent of Westfall going to the MSL (there isn't room right now) because I think it makes sense, but that's their decision, like it was Chilly's to run away from the big boys.

bman618,
No we did not run, we were totally out matched by SEVERAL D1 Schools that continued to get bigger every year. Dublin Scioto, Westerville South, Upper Arlington, etc. Get over yourself and the little league you love to stay in. :roll: :roll: :roll:

We are on an even playing field now. At least our kids can compete in all sports. In the two years we have been in the SEOAL we have won 5 SEOAL Championships. We could of not even began to accomplish that if we would of stayed in the OCC. Here is the results;

1. Girls Tennis 2 SEOAL Crowns 2006, 2007, 2 Sectional Championships

2. Chillicothe Football 2006 season, 7-3, 5-2 in the SEOAL first year.
Defeated:

a. Columbus Brookhaven D1 14-5
b. Logan D1 31-21
c. Gallipolis D3 38-33
4. Ironton D4 47-14
5. Portsmouth D4 29-28
6. The Plains Athens D3 48-0
7. Zanesville D2 27-14

Made D2 Playoff Game against Bishop Watterson. First appearence since 1999, 4th playoff appearence in history. :-D

2. Boys Basketball SEOAL Crown 2006-2007 Sectional, District Champs, Regional Runner-Up

3. Boys Tennis SEOAL Champions Spring 2007

4. Boys Soccer SEOAL Champions 2007, Sectional Champs

So what's stopping Westfall from petitioning to transfer into the MSL Buckeye? We know you all play LE, TV and Circleville every year in NL-Play. So what's stopping you all from getting into that league?

MSL (Buckeye Division) :?:

1. Columbus Hamilton Twp D1
2. Ashville Teays Valley D2
3. Canal Winhester D3
4. Bremen Fairfield Union D3
5. Circleville Logan Elm D3
6. Circleville D3
7. Amanda Clearcreek D4
8.? What's holding you all up.....boc....boc :?: Excuses?

Westfall could be the 8th Team? Just like you all are in the Big SVC right now. The league you constantly dominate against little;

1. Chillicothe SE Ross D5 :roll:
2. Chillicothe Huntington Ross D5 :roll:
3. Chillicothe Unioto D4
4. Chillicothe Zane Trace D4
5. Piketon D4
6. Frankfort Adena D5 :roll:
7. Bainbridge Paint Valley D6 :roll:

How many D5 and D6 Schools are in the SVC :?: :roll:

WOW.....That's playing up.

Chillicothe petitioned to join the MSL Buckeye when they were searching a possible league to join once they left the OCC before the invitation was extended by the SEOAL. The MSL Buckeye said no, THAT WE WERE to big?

The SCOL offered us a slot, but we opted for the SEOAL when they offered a slot.

How is the SEOAL going to help Chillicothe get back to D2?
Can you explain that one. We still continue to lose student population, in comparison to 2001 when we were D1.

For your information, We have 4 D2 Schools in the SEOAL Right now.

a. Logan D2
b. Zanesville D2
c. Marietta D2
d. Jackson D2

We have 3, D3 Schools this year.

e. Chillicothe D3
f. The Plains Athens D3
g. Vincent Warren Local D3

We have 3, D4 Schools right now

h. Portsmouth D4
i. Ironton D4
j. Gallipolis Gallia Academy D4

You were saying Mr. I know what the SEOAL has in it :?: :-D

As for the MSL Buckeye, I think as many do around SE-Ohio, that you are really afraid to join the MSL. Look at West Jefferson, speaking about leaving a bigger league, now look what they are doing inside the MSL Cardinal Division, a league there size, just as Chillicothe is within the SEOAL. But you can't say that about Westfall in the tiny SVC, can you :?:

Give it a few more years and Chillicothe will be full of SEOAL / Sectional / District / Regional and possibly a few State Championships. :-D

Maybe this season in Basketball. :-D

The banners WILL continue to be acquired, in the Chillicothe CAV Gym. The symbolism won't commend them for being in a weak league like the SVC, but a league full of competition. One they had to fight and defend for. Unlike your league where you all just roll over those little teams. :-D

As for Westfall leaving the SVC, I doubt it. Reminds me when Ironton who I love being in the league with now, but when they were in the SEOAL there second time from 68-84. They ran the gambit in almost all sports, except B-Ball where Waverly dominated from 70-83 when they were once in the SEOAL too.

mstangmom wrote:Ya know when DIV Zane Trace won the league 2 years in a row, there was nothing said about them beating up on smaller weaker schools. and BTW Westfall does play the in the Bidddy MSL buckeye, there is no room for them at the high school level. If there were we would be better off and like hog farmer said we would have won it the last 2 years. and the two years before that probaly had 2nd in the MSLbuckeye. and Up Until a few years ago Westfall scrimmaged hamilton twp and always won that so they were not helping us so we switched to clinton massie.

And lets look at waverly then army their league consists of what ALL DIV and DV schools just like the SVC HMMMMMMMMMMM. Oh and let us not forget they were DII the last 2 years beating up on those weaker smaller schools.

Sounds to me like the 2 schools are beating up on the same size schools.

Zane Trace, Unioto, and Piketon has won the SVC in Football how many times :?: :roll:

Huntington, SE, Adena and Paint Valley....How Many Times :?: :roll:

As for the SOC II yes there are 4 D5 Schools. Name the D4 schools in the SVC that could defeat them except Westfall? Look who is a D5 in that league;

1. Wheelersburg D5 :-D (Playoffs 2007)
2. Minford D5 :-D (Playoffs 2007)
3. Lucasville Valley D5 :-D
4. Portsmouth West D5 :-D

5. Waverly D4 (Playoffs 2007)

mstangmom,
Your information is incorrect, Waverly was not D2 they were D3 for only two years. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Why isn't there room to add an 8th team, have I missed someone in the MSL Buckeye? Like I said, No one actually sees your ruff and tuff school leaving the little Biddy League you all are in now, that you all love to run up the score on, concerning all those little basketball schools in the SVC. :-D

6. McDermoitt Northwest D4

You' all can't even beat Oak Hill a D5 in the SOC I for Football except Westfall. :-D

As for Chillicothe going to the MSL, I thought it would be nice, but I believe they would be playing down as to playing in the SEOAL. Circleville, Amanda and Logan Elm are the only ones that stay consistent in that League, concerning Football. No Thanks, I'd rather go to the SCOL first and play against;

1. Greenfield McClain D3
2. Hillsboro D4
3. London D3
4. London Madison Plains D4
5. Washington C.H. D3
6. Washington C.H. Miami Trace D4
7. Clinton Massie

those teams would be more competition than the MSL Buckeye :!: :-D

The SEOAL is a much stronger league. The MSL Buckeye, SCOL and SVC could not consistently compete against there teams. Yeah I know, you all beat Ironton last year in the playoffs. Big deal so did we. But could you played against us, Logan, Gallipolis, Portsmouth, Marietta, Zanesville, Warren Local, Athens and Jackson last year. Or for that matter every year. :-D

Then let's see what the Westfall (Big Win-Loss) record would become
:!: :-D
All I can say is, it must be nice to get a second home game for the playoffs. :roll: :roll: :roll:

And..........it must be nice to know someone at the OHSAA huh :?: :-D

GO Waverly Tigers defeat the Westfall Mustangs:!:
Last edited by Army on Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

OVCfan
Freshman Team

Post by OVCfan »

Ewaugh,

You used Calpreps :-D That prediction doesn't count......

just kiddin'

"The Greatest Show on Turf"
Gucci
Riding the Bench

Post by Gucci »

mstangmom, what scores show Waverly's defense is not that good? Look more at the game than just the final score. If you have questions about the games, then just ask. I think I posted a reply earlier responding to these same comments.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Alright, I watched Waverly last week and Westfall against Piketon. Comparisons, both Defenses have big athletic kids that can run, however I see the Mustangs as being a little more disciplined maintaining gaps and staying home. Maybe a slight edge to Westfall. Offenses, if Waverly is healthy, Malone and the other TB, with Walls throwing the ball around then slight edge to Waverly. If those two are still injured it makes it a closer call. Special Teams, Waverly has a very good kicker and punter, however the punter didnt kick well against UL. Westfalls special teams in the kicking game are slightly below Waverly, however the coverage teams of Westfall are slightly better, IMO.

Who do I think will win this, I say the Mustangs in a barnburner. Waverlys offense fizzled at times when it got into opponents territory. They sometimes run out of room to throw the deep ball, and teams can crowd the underneath stuff. However, they went to the I and ran the ball right at UL, then went away from it with the injuries. Good luck to both.

And all the Westfall is too big for the SVC, please people. It is the third largest district, barely bigger than Piketon. They have only recently began dominating football and no other sport. They are a fine fit for this league.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Army- In your ridiculous rambling you forgot one really big problem...and since you have to use everyone's town, Carroll Bloom Carroll.

Also, Paint Valley is D5, so the SVC has 0 D6 teams. Paint Valley has also not ever been D6.

What other sports does Westfall dominate the SVC in? So, they would only leave because of football...and it doesn't appear that the SVC has hurt them this year.

SVC Championships since 2000
Zane Trace won the SVC in 2001, 2004, 2005
Paint Valley won the SVC in 2000, 2003
Westfall has won the SVC in 2002, 2006, 2007

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

Army the MSL BUCKEYE IS FULL you forgot
#8 Bloom Carroll DIV for the MSL BUckeye
And Hamilton TWP is DII

for the SVC
And Paint Valley is DV

how many titles has westfall won, I had that at one time but lost it with my other computer, they used to have it on the front page of this site but they don't any more. yes westfall has won it the most but not by much. the second most times was by Piketon if I remember correctly. oh and lets worry about PV there army they are continuously scheduling tougher and/or bigger schools, yet you think they do not want to play westfall.

Just wondering though if Westfall was DV and winning like this would you be complaining? because look at westfall #'s they are one of the smallest DIV for schools in the state.

Westfall came in this league in 1959 I do do believe it was and only 2 schools have left it since then. Logan Elm and Bishop Flaget. no one has left since that time and no one else has entered.

Fact is you complain about Westfall and you can't even get your facts straight.
What did someone form Westfall beat you up when you were a kid or something?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Logan Elm left in the Mid 70's
Bishop Flaget would still be in it...if it was still open.
Unioto actually did leave the SVC for the SCOL for 2 years in the mid 70's, but those are the only changes since the late 60's.

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

OOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Forgot about Unioto doing that.

I used to have a whole history on the SVC but when my other computer crashed lost it all.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

All Westfall is doing is raising the bar for this league making others catch up. I for one am glad for their success, because it is a DO or DIE kind of thing. They do, and either we do or we die! :lol:

Return to “Football”