wheelersburg 2008

BurgGrad6
SE

wheelersburg 2008

Post by BurgGrad6 »

Any thoughts on how well they will do and who will replace the seniors???

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

should have some great skill players once again. will probably see a lot more run and a lot less passing. Will have to find an oline. schedule should be easier than the past couple yrs. It would be nice if they could find a few more kids to come out next yr in the senior class.

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

have you heard anythin on who we will be playing next year? I think the freshman class has a prety good o-line, i think some of them will play next season. I like lang at ob. should run the same type of O that we ran with storey! as for the D we have most of the line back except for the ends. we will have to replace a couple line backers and the entire secondary except lang!! so we have a lot of work cut out for us next season!!!

burgtown
Waterboy

Post by burgtown »

The Burg is going to have to try to get more seniors to be, out next year, if they hope to have a decent year. There is not enough juniors to carry the team next year. They might get some help from the Sophs but not enough. Surely there are some kids with a football background in that class. ANOTHER SUBJECT, I think Lewis a good coach but, in the clutch he goes brain dead., as he has displayed on many ocassions.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

I've also been hearing that we are picking up either Rock Hill or Coal Grove next year to replace the St Clairesville game. My guess is RH since Lucas made the statement years ago that he would never play the Burg in regular season again.

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

I believe the Burg of 08 will be more run oriented as well. Look for the return of the option. Although we still have the skilled players to have a passing game more so than when Storey and Company were seniors. Hopper has good hands, size and decent speed at the TE/WR position and Schank can catch out of the HB/SB as well. I'm sure Walker and Craigmiles will add to the passing mix also.

Many spots to fill on the OL. Returning offensive players with experience are Schank, White, Hopper and Lang. I believe we can put together a solid OL with Frowine, Maxie, Adkins and others.

Defense should be solid with some returning experience there as well. Adkins, Walker, Lang, Craigmiles, Frowine, Schank, Hopper and White. A couple DBs will need replacing, a LB and a DE.

I believe Burg will be a strong contender for the SOC 2 again next season.

oldschooler
Waterboy

Post by oldschooler »

Burg will always be Ok, they are loaded with talent year after year. Schanke has proved what he is capable of he just needs to prove it game after game. I have commented on Lang in previous posts, I compare him to Eaton and Kaskey and that is saying a lot. He will learn this year, at what point you have to either keep the ball or pull it out. You know White will do his job as he is one of the best LB I have ever seen at HS level. He is not as quick as his older brother, but he is as tough and he will get you yards, and he leaves it all on the field. The kid is huge for a Burg player these days. Hopper needs to catch the ball, either lose the gloves or something. People expect big things out of him because he is so tall, but you got to hang on to the ball everytime. He also needs to step up and hit the players face on, he tends to run behind the player and come back and then try to hit him. I am sure that the coaches will work on that before next year. Craimiles will be another strong LB next year. A lot of talent in the underclassmen that are hungry to play. Good Luck and work hard in the offseason to get bigger and stronger.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

Schankwieler can be a dominant RB next season if he gets the touches. We saw it in the Ironton game and again against the Freddies.

White can be a load but he must keep his head up and look to bounce out or cut back. A couple times Friday he just head down barreled into the LOS. More yards were to be had if he uses his vision. Something he can work on as well.

oldschooler wrote:Hopper needs to catch the ball, either lose the gloves or something. but you got to hang on to the ball everytime

Not sure if anyone catches all the balls thrown their way, even the pros. So this is kind of a high expectation don't you think? :shock: He really did not get many opportunities this season due to all the senior talent for the Burg.

I thought Hopper did a pretty good job receiving when given the opportunity and blocked pretty well out of the TE set giving Conley some needed rest for D. Early in the season he did drop a couple balls that should've been caught but so did the rest of the receivers if I can recall. On D and special teams he does tend to overpursue a bit and needs to slow down to get under control. As you stated I am sure this will be worked on next season.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:I've also been hearing that we are picking up either Rock Hill or Coal Grove next year to replace the St Clairesville game. My guess is RH since Lucas made the statement years ago that he would never play the Burg in regular season again.

i have heard from some people in rock hill that they are on the schedule for week 5. i also have heard coal grove and greenup co is also on the schedule. IMHO i think that would be a pretty awesome first five games.

ironton
coal grove
portsmouth
greenup co
rock hill
Last edited by Mad-Dogg on Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Mad_Dogg wrote:
Burg_Grad_77 wrote:I've also been hearing that we are picking up either Rock Hill or Coal Grove next year to replace the St Clairesville game. My guess is RH since Lucas made the statement years ago that he would never play the Burg in regular season again.

i have heard from some people in rock hill that they are on the schedule for week 5. i also have heard coal grove and greenup co is also on the schedule

you have to be fatser with this INFO :lol:

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

biggdowgg wrote:
Mad_Dogg wrote:

i have heard from some people in rock hill that they are on the schedule for week 5. i also have heard coal grove and greenup co is also on the schedule

why is that

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Mad_Dogg wrote:
biggdowgg wrote:
Mad_Dogg wrote:

why is that

we already heard all of it,,we need new stuff :lol:

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Mad_Dogg wrote:

i have heard from some people in rock hill that they are on the schedule for week 5. i also have heard coal grove and greenup co is also on the schedule. IMHO i think that would be a pretty awesome first five games.

ironton
coal grove
portsmouth
greenup co
rock hill

dogg, someone had South Points schedule up on here and it had the Burg on it. My guess is that they dropped Johnson Central and St. Clairsville and picked up Rock Hill and Greenup co. Those are two very nice pickups for the Burg. GC is considered at least D II and maybe D I, so if the Burg beats them and they win 5-7 games, big points. Rock Hill is D IV and if the Burg can beat them, then they usually win between 7-9 games, so another nice point game.

I would like to see them go back to the offense they ran in 89. They will have the horses just like they did back then. Klaiber was the FB and Bryan White can run that. Risner was the TB and Schank or Craigmiles can fill that position and the SB was Pete Ruby and Scotty Walker can fill that position. Run the counters out of that or the option with Tyler Lang and they will be very tough to stop. Mix in a pass now and then and it will make them even deadlier. I think the olinw will be just fine. You have Zach Frowine, who was a starter coming back and also look for Robertson to be back out for the team. Sure he will have to earn his spot, but from I've heard, he is one, strong guy. The Burg has plenty of size coming back, they'll just need to get a game or two under their belts and they will be just fine. I look for Nick Kemper to be moved to SE and that will really help out the receiving corp. He is to good of an athlete to not have on the field somewhere next year.

Defense will have the interior D-line back with Craigmiles, Walker and Adkins. Replacing two very good defensive ends in Stamper and Conley might be tough. Hopper and Leach are probably candidates for that and maybe Sophomore Andy Stegman. You have Bryan White and Tyler Lang back at LB and in the secondary, you have Schankweiler. Look for Nick Kemper to possibly be at one corner, with Schank the other and FS is up for grabs right now. If Brandon Hall comes back out, you'll probably see him somewhere on the field. I can't see him not playing his whole high school career. He'll definetly have to work his butt off to earn his spot, but I do believe he deserves a chance, if he plays.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP

Post by Mad-Dogg »

yabbadabbadoo wrote:
Mad_Dogg wrote:

ironton
coal grove
portsmouth
greenup co
rock hill

dogg, someone had South Points schedule up on here and it had the Burg on it. My guess is that they dropped Johnson Central and St. Clairsville and picked up Rock Hill and Greenup co. Those are two very nice pickups for the Burg. GC is considered at least D II and maybe D I, so if the Burg beats them and they win 5-7 games, big points. Rock Hill is D IV and if the Burg can beat them, then they usually win between 7-9 games, so another nice point game.

I would like to see them go back to the offense they ran in 89. They will have the horses just like they did back then. Klaiber was the FB and Bryan White can run that. Risner was the TB and Schank or Craigmiles can fill that position and the SB was Pete Ruby and Scotty Walker can fill that position. Run the counters out of that or the option with Tyler Lang and they will be very tough to stop. Mix in a pass now and then and it will make them even deadlier. I think the olinw will be just fine. You have Zach Frowine, who was a starter coming back and also look for Robertson to be back out for the team. Sure he will have to earn his spot, but from I've heard, he is one, strong guy. The Burg has plenty of size coming back, they'll just need to get a game or two under their belts and they will be just fine. I look for Nick Kemper to be moved to SE and that will really help out the receiving corp. He is to good of an athlete to not have on the field somewhere next year.

Defense will have the interior D-line back with Craigmiles, Walker and Adkins. Replacing two very good defensive ends in Stamper and Conley might be tough. Hopper and Leach are probably candidates for that and maybe Sophomore Andy Stegman. You have Bryan White and Tyler Lang back at LB and in the secondary, you have Schankweiler. Look for Nick Kemper to possibly be at one corner, with Schank the other and FS is up for grabs right now. If Brandon Hall comes back out, you'll probably see him somewhere on the field. I can't see him not playing his whole high school career. He'll definetly have to work his butt off to earn his spot, but I do believe he deserves a chance, if he plays.

i however have heard from some people that we are goin to johnson central next season

oldschooler
Waterboy

Post by oldschooler »

Yabba, I have to agree with you on going back to '89, White and Klaiber are very similar FB, and both a force coming though the line. I loved watching Klaiber play. Great young man. I agree with all that you said in all of the positions too, with the exception of Hall. I have said this on here before, if the kid wanted to play, then he would play, no ifs, ands or buts. Roberson was not eligible to play, Hall chose to quit his team because he was a sophomore and going to start varsity, but not in the position that he and his family wanted him to start at. I have nothing against the kid, but I think he has to earn the right to be included in all of the other players names that stuck it out. I'll talk about him if he comes out and earns a spot like the rest of the dedicated young men.

Buldog, didn't mean to strike a nerve with you. Or mean to get into a detailed of who done what right and wrong. Was just expressing my opinion on what I saw this year, as were you. I seen more than a couple of balls and I was talking about the whole season, not one particular game or this past Friday night. And the expectations should be high. That is how you get better. I guess if there are excuses, then expectations will never get achieved. I see Hopper improving and making big plays next year if he wants it bad enough. I guess White will have to quit running over guys in his way and start bouncing off and cutting back. Maybe run East and West too, LOL. I seen the kid get first downs when they needed them, TD's and Friday night was standing in the Endzone without the football, he is a player. Burg will be back in playoffs next season, no problem.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

oldschooler,

no nerve struck here. Just thought it was odd that one would think a HS player would catch every ball. I just saw all the receivers this season drop balls that should have been caught and thought it was odd a player would be singled out. I'm sure Hopper knows he should have caught those balls as all of the ones that were dropped by others.

As far as White goes. He can run over the opposition and we need a hard nosed back that can punish the D. I too saw him standing in the endzone without the football on Friday. Yes he is a player. As stated earlier, Lang will need to develop the read and a mix of give/keep/pitch to keep teams honest. The Freddies has his number last friday and everytime we ran the option set, it should have been a give to the FB as the D was keying on the keep. That comes with being too predictable.

falconflyer
Freshman Team

Post by falconflyer »

I don't see Coach Lewis doing anything except building his team around the QB do you. With Coach Lewis, WB has been QB oriented not RB oriented. White is a good LB and hardnosed. He is not in AFB oriented sytem. By the way, this is not a criticism of Coach Lewis, I think he is great but he obviously has a different football bent than others.

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

Pirate fans have nothing to worry about next year.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

if possible I think lewis would like to move walker and craigmiles off the dline. the more they play there the more it will take away from what they will be able to do on offense. If lang plays D it will probably be at safety. I don' think lewis will want his qb at lbacker.

tiger-fan67
Waterboy

Post by tiger-fan67 »

i think craigmiles will split time at fb with white, walker and schanke will split HB, look for the pirates to have yet another platoon system in 2008, on D i think adkins will stay down on the line but maybe at DE, craigmiles will either be a DE or LB and walker will either be PirateBack or safety...maybe WLB

Return to “Football”