Marietta early leader in All-Sports Trophy race

jottings
SEOPS H

Marietta early leader in All-Sports Trophy race

Post by jottings »

According to Craig Dunn, sports editor of the Logan Daily News, Marietta holds an early lead in the SEOAL’s All-Sports Trophy.

The MHS Tigers have 41.0 points, followed by Logan with 37.0

Warren Local is third with 36.5 points Jackson fourth with 36.0.

Chillicothe is fifth with 35.5, Athens sixth with 34.0, followed by seventh place Zanesville at 31.0, Gallipolis eighth with 22.0, and Ironton-Portsmouth tied for ninth place with 17.0 points.

The Southeastern Ohio Athletic League, one of the longest-running prep conferences in the state, was formed by William E. (Bill) Thomas at Wellston in March, 1925, and began competition with a boys track meet in the spring of 1925.

Only Marietta, Logan, Chillicothe and Athens fielded complete fall teams with Warren Local, and Zanesville fielding seven, Jackson six, Gallipolis five and Portsmouth and Ironton four apiece.

Fall champions were—Football, Logan; Volleyball, Gallipolis; Boys soccer—Chillicothe; Girls tennis—Chillicothe; Golf—Zanesville; Girls soccer—Marietta; Boys cross country, Marietta; Girls cross country, Marietta.

Points are determined on a 10-9-9-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 basis in sports where all 10 schools field full teams. In other sports, points are determined as to how many teams competed for the title in a particular sport since Warren and Gallipolis don’t have girls tennis for example. Those points are determined on an 8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 basis. Half points are awarded in case of ties.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Thanks Jottings

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

i have never kept up with this :arrow: who usually challenges for top honors :?: common sense tells me logan marietta and logan for number of students just a guess :?:

R.I.P. BillSauerField
Riding the Bench

Post by R.I.P. BillSauerField »

Jottings Posted:
Points are determined on a 10-9-9-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 basis in sports where all 10 schools field full teams.

Do you mean 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1? I'm assuming, but just making sure.
Anyways, it's a pretty close race all around.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

the north hasnt been around that long for an as usual comment :lol:

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

marietta will do good with basketball both girls and boys and wrestiling should be a strong team

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Warren should make a run for it this year.

hardrock21
JV Team

Post by hardrock21 »

Warren and Marietta have been battling it out over the last few years for the ALL sports trophy. Marietta has the advantage because of having the tennis. However, I believe Warren will over take them this winter in wrestling, and boys basketball. Warren wrestling will win SEOAL looking away this year just like last year. Marietta will probably finish 4th.

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

hardrock21 wrote:Warren and Marietta have been battling it out over the last few years for the ALL sports trophy. Marietta has the advantage because of having the tennis. However, I believe Warren will over take them this winter in wrestling, and boys basketball. Warren wrestling will win SEOAL looking away this year just like last year. Marietta will probably finish 4th.
wow thats bold

Wrestling i dont know about that Marietta has got a soild line up and other teams are looking better too Warren i dont think will win wresting but im not saying marietta will win and Boys basketball no way

and Marietta finshing 4th is that Wreslting or Overall trophy
becasue if its the overall trophy wells that way off they will be top 2

and if its wrestling well i disagree too they will finsh worst at 3rd

hardrock21
JV Team

Post by hardrock21 »

BigMcauley, do u even follow wrestling or are u just assuming Marietta willn't lose? Because I do follow wresling and everyone in the SEOAL knows that Warren won the tourney by 40 points last year and they return 3 leauge champs and 3 runner-ups. They will be tough to bring down and Marietta definately won't do it, Logan and Athens have the best shot. The general consensus is that Warren is better than Marietta in boys basketball this year and probably the best team in the county so if you won't to belive different than do so. As for girls basketball it's a toss up.

hardrock21
JV Team

Post by hardrock21 »

Thats 4th in wrestling, neither Marietta nor Warren will finish any better than 3rd in boys basketball. Marietta is behind Warren, Logan, and Athens in wrestling.

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

hardrock21 wrote:BigMcauley, do u even follow wrestling or are u just assuming Marietta willn't lose? Because I do follow wresling and everyone in the SEOAL knows that Warren won the tourney by 40 points last year and they return 3 leauge champs and 3 runner-ups. They will be tough to bring down and Marietta definately won't do it, Logan and Athens have the best shot. The general consensus is that Warren is better than Marietta in boys basketball this year and probably the best team in the county so if you won't to belive different than do so. As for girls basketball it's a toss up.
well i do happen to follow wresting i said and i quote" Im not saying Marietta will win" Im saying that Warren might not win things have changed from last year to this year Marietta well dosent have Dan good or bad i dont know Danny was good and i dont know that the impact on him not wrestilng will be Marietta i think has a more Soild lineup Logan and athens i dont know

you do know that some people do get better and wrestle better than the year before?

Boys Basketball i wouldnt rush into that right away but we will see Dec 7th

Girls ball i say Marietta they bring alot back and have more but well see how things go

runhallerun
Freshman Team

Post by runhallerun »

Easy boys! It will be Marietta or Warren with maybe Logan sneaking in there for the All Sports Trophy - Par for the course/same as every year.

This is how I see it shaking out:

Boys BBall - Edge Warren
Girls BBall - Edge Marietta
Wrestling - Edge Warren
Boys Track - Edge Warren
Girls Track - Edge Marietta
Baseball - Edge Warren
Softball - Even

It will be close! Enjoy the competition boys and girls!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

I can't see Marietta finishing lower than #3--If I had to pick I would say Warren, Marietta, Logan, Zanesville----Zanesville could slip in at three if things fall in to place. Tennis could hurt Warren, but they have done it before.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

i dont see marietta girls track out performing the blue angels :!:

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

They just might be a few boy teams that couldn't out-perform the Gallia Girls

runhallerun
Freshman Team

Post by runhallerun »

91blue - was not expecting Marietta Girls to outperform Gallia - those picks are just Warren/Marietta head to head.

fighting_falcon
Freshman Team

Post by fighting_falcon »

Gallia girls have had a hard time winning the league lately. While they have the few exceptional athletes that can score points at the state level they have a hard time with depth. They seem to get so far behind in the field events then other teams can score enough points in the running events that Gallia can't catch up. They could win a running event but if (for example) Logan gets second and third in the event then Logan outscored them in that event.

Gallia may very well win the state meet this year but I would be suprised if they won the league meet.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

ok sorry dont follow league turnouts the newspaper concentrates on dstrics and regionals and state :!:

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

91blue14 wrote:i dont see marietta girls track out performing the blue angels :!:
you should the girls have a dangerous long distance and short distance runners

dont forget the Hurdles either

Return to “Football”