Waverly at Piketon 2008 Question

eagles73Taylor
SE

Waverly at Piketon 2008 Question

Post by eagles73Taylor »

I know the series is something like 26-2 Waverly but I had a neat idea for a traveling trophy for this renewal. You could call it the battle for the County Seat Trophy. Put all the past names on it and give it to the winner each time they win the game.

A little history for you about the county seat. Piketon was the county seat until 1861 when the voters moved it to Waverly. Waverly sprung up after the Erie canal which ran through it in the 1820's. Waverly prospered, but Piketon didnt. The canal got to the Scioto river and turned west and did not cross. Some say that Governor Lucas who owned land in Jasper sold it to the canal company for a nice sum of money thus denying Piketon of the chance to prosper off of the goods and services of the canal. In the 1850's I believe the county courthouse in Piketon mysteriously burned and the seat was voted to transfer to Waverly who was undergoing their economic boom.

What do you think about the game and trophy idea?

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

I like the idea about the trophy. Hopefully Piketon can win it now and then, and make the won-loss record less one-sided.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

That's awesome hopefully someone of power can make this happen.

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

That sounds pretty cool. Glad to see these two playing each other again.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Forgot to bring it up to Coach Gullion at the state playoffs about this idea. What should the trophy look like?

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

eagles73, Since it is your idea, I think it should be a bust of you. But then, neither team will try to win, so scratch that idea. How about a trophy that simple is shaped like the county, with the dates and scores etched into it?

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

mikepike, if it was my bust we would have room on it for many years to come with my big head! :shock:

I like the idea about the cutout of the county. Will bring it up to Gullion or Chandler first time I talk to them.

Pikealum27
Waterboy

Post by Pikealum27 »

i like this idea.....needs to get put into motion...i wish we woulda played waverly when i was in school!!!!

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

How about The Pike County Gridiron Trophy, with the cutout of the county resting on a 'P' and a 'W'? Maybe have a local business sponsor it so there can be an 'impartial' presenter. I don't know what they do with basketball, but a similar trophy for the Holiday tournament would be nice.

And, eagles73, I know the bust crack was a cheap shot, but you're right about your head!

Bobby k
Freshman Team

Post by Bobby k »

What about a big wooden chair....since we are talking about the "county seat"

72Xcurl
Freshman Team

Post by 72Xcurl »

I like that bobby k. It would be cool to have an old stadium seat or something made into a trophy.

GO TIGERS
Sports 101
Varsity

Post by Sports 101 »

Will Roback be under the center next year for the Tigers? I heard Ryan Robertson can throw the ball.

Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.

Return to “Football”