HOW LONG SHOULD A HC REMAIN AT THE HELM?

falcon1
Varsity

Re:

Post by falcon1 »

RogueWarrior1965 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:25 pm
whspirate wrote:I look at burgtowns comment about wburg coach not getting more players out for the team and that should be a factor in allowing a coach to remain or stay. Give me a break! Times have changed.
There is some truth in that. Take a look at Minford and see what difference a coaching change made. They went from barely having 40 players to having almost 60. Even more kids are coming back to the program and while it is not all because of the coach (some returnees are jumping on the success bandwagon), a lot of it is. These kids are believing in themselves and a coaching change made the difference.

As for the coaches vs parents, I agree there are parents that get too involved and unfortunately it is not like it used to be where a coach would tell the parent to pound sand and either keep their nose out of it or they can take little Johnny home. If a coach does that today in our pathetic, politically correct society the spineless school boards would want to fire him.
Not the case so much now, only 35 this past year.

P Finger
Waterboy

Re:

Post by P Finger »

whspirate wrote:I look at burgtowns comment about wburg coach not getting more players out for the team and that should be a factor in allowing a coach to remain or stay. Give me a break! Times have changed.
There is some truth in that. Take a look at Minford and see what difference a coaching change made. They went from barely having 40 players to having almost 60. Even more kids are coming back to the program and while it is not all because of the coach (some returnees are jumping on the success bandwagon), a lot of it is. These kids are believing in themselves and a coaching change made the difference.

As for the coaches vs parents, I agree there are parents that get too involved and unfortunately it is not like it used to be where a coach would tell the parent to pound sand and either keep their nose out of it or they can take little Johnny home. If a coach does that today in our pathetic, politically correct society the spineless school boards would want to fire him.
It’s not always the school boards fault. Parents these days know that all they have to do is contact a media outlet and make up some story about discrimination or some other BS and the media will be all over it. Not to mention that people live and breathe on social media these days so a few made up stories on there can get a coach or administrator fired and/or board members voted out.

I like to pee on my finger and stick it in your ear. 😂
P Finger
Waterboy

Re:

Post by P Finger »

It’s not always the school boards fault. Parents these days know that all they have to do is contact a media outlet and make up some story about discrimination or some other BS and the media will be all over it. Not to mention that people live and breathe on social media these days so a few made up stories on there can get a coach or administrator fired and/or board members voted out.

I like to pee on my finger and stick it in your ear. 😂
SG REBEL

Re: HOW LONG SHOULD A HC REMAIN AT THE HELM?

Post by SG REBEL »

Somewhere between 1 and 2 seasons. I always liked keeping them through the summer after their second season to recruit and lift to get the boys strong. Then mid to late July you roll out the reverse Uno card and you force him to resign or be fired, hire a coach from out of the district and give him a year to win 5+ games or he’s out the door.
Keeping a revolving door on coaching makes sure you don’t let talent slip through your fingers. It’s also harder for the state to investigate “recruiting violations” if you have a new coach either every year or every other year. The coaches usually bring in new assistants so you get to try them all and see what fits.

wch125
All State

Post by wch125 »

Keep them as long as they have built a positive winning culture both on the field, school, and in the community.
They should also continue to evolve with the times and the type of players they they in their program.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Play to win not to please, rules, on and off the field, takes a while to build a new program!!! Small schools big schools getting kids to buy in is the big thing.how long ❓🤔

82nd
Freshman Team

Post by 82nd »

if i'm an ad i would evaluate coaching performance in games that he has equal talent and games that he doesn't have as much talent as the other team and watch him and staff and the kids on how they handle certain parts of the game and no quit and enthusiasm would be at the top of my list and if you are 6-7 games by having superior talent and can't compete or keep the program motivated. i don't need you. show me you can compete in big games where it's even and the ones you aren't supposed to win and then everything is fine.

falcon1
Varsity

Post by falcon1 »

82nd wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:15 pm if i'm an ad i would evaluate coaching performance in games that he has equal talent and games that he doesn't have as much talent as the other team and watch him and staff and the kids on how they handle certain parts of the game and no quit and enthusiasm would be at the top of my list and if you are 6-7 games by having superior talent and can't compete or keep the program motivated. i don't need you. show me you can compete in big games where it's even and the ones you aren't supposed to win and then everything is fine.
Boy, That would be awesome if it worked that way !!

mackdog
Freshman Team

Post by mackdog »

Circumstances dictate the length of tenure. However, generally speaking a HC needs 5 years to fully make a program his own. It takes time for change!

Return to “Football”