HOW LONG SHOULD A HC REMAIN AT THE HELM?

RAVEN
Waterboy

HOW LONG SHOULD A HC REMAIN AT THE HELM?

Post by RAVEN »

just wondering what other people think.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

As long as he wants.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

IMO, It really depends on the circumstances.......If a coach goes a program that has been struggling (say for instance the team he took over went 0-10 the previous year) he should at least have 3-4 years to get the program in the right direction (4-5 wins by year 3) and look to be building every year, but if the program is still bad by the 3-4 years hes had, he probably wont be around much longer....and, if a coach goes to program with a winning tradition and underachieves, he probably will be let go pretty soon.

RAVEN
Waterboy

Post by RAVEN »

sider, i believe for our school the hc gets a 5 year contract. in our case he has had 1 winning season out of 5 . last year we should have had a better
record then we did. next year we have alot of great kids coming back. we
should have a great season to look foward to. i just wondered if the hc should be given another year with all the seniors we have coming back. or should he be replaced. for these up coming seniors this is their last chance to go far and i believe this group could go far. so, i was really just trying to get an opinion on the matter. i think the hc is a nice guy and he seems to care about the kids i just don't think he has what it takes to get them there. we had alot of talent come through since he's been hc but have never gone anywhere. only one playoff game and out in one year he's been at the helm.

RAVEN
Waterboy

Post by RAVEN »

gahs, thanks for the response. i just wondered how long other schools give a hc time to turn program around. it dosen't really matter to me i was just curious. i have a couple years before my reaches the high school level. i enjoy going to the games and this year there were alot of complaints and people saying things. so, i myself was wondering if the complaints would cause the hc not to get another year or was there a time frame that most schools give a coach to turn it around.

blarge
Riding the Bench

Post by blarge »

At Warren, preferably more than one year.

black76
JV Team

Post by black76 »

I agree with gahs4ever, times sure have changed and it would be nice to stress the importance of teaching for coaches again. Now a days, high school sports are attempting to mimic college sports, recruiting is rampant, etc. It's too bad.

burgtown
Waterboy

Post by burgtown »

When you get a Wheelersburg coach to only have 30-33 players out for the burg , you are doing somehting very wrong and it's time to move on. If they don't have a lot more out next year, things will be down the slippery slope .

burgtown
Waterboy

Post by burgtown »

When you get a Wheelersburg coach to only have 30-33 players out for the burg , you are doing somehting very wrong and it's time to move on. If they don't have a lot more out next year, things will be down the slippery slope .

bucking red
Varsity

Post by bucking red »

Raven I think a lot of people complain about a coach in the stands everywhere. I've heard a lot of people complain over the years about some very good coaches at several different schools. IMO more people are critical than supportive. I also think there is more to a coach than just wins and losses.

91Buckeye
Varsity

Post by 91Buckeye »

Unfortunately all coaches are judged primarily on their win/loss record. A coach who runs a program that produces quality young people is what every school should be looking to find. As for my son I would prefer he play for a coach that would help him develop into a good person as opposed to an outstanding athlete. If you can find one that does both keep them there as long as you can.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

BOB LUTZ, TURNING BOYS INTO MEN FOR OVER 35 YEARS ---------------------- NUFF SAID. :-D

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
hilltopkid
Freshman Team

Post by hilltopkid »

RAVEN wrote:sider, i believe for our school the hc gets a 5 year contract. .

If you're talking about CHS, check your facts. He is on a 1-year contract, up for renewel every year by the BOE.As all coaches, head or assistant are. Almost all schools are like this. Every now and then you'll see a 2 year contract.

Mercerville Monster
All Conference

Post by Mercerville Monster »

When he is atleast making an attempt to win and better the program and is the team is his #1 priority.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

this question actually cannot be answered, many fine coach's are replaced strictly because of politics in a district, while thee coach, is still winning a huge percentage of their ballgames. but a lot of times , it's who you know. or who you've got in tight with. that can take a productive coach, out of the picture. some of the main questions i would ask are,

is your kid better , for being a part of the team,
is the coach, interested in your grades
does he offer advise in your personal life
does he hurt, just as bad, when you do lose.
are you learning the proper fundamentals of the game
are your practices safe, and ran clean
does the coach belittle you
are you constantly involved, starter or not
are you, the player having fun.

and lastly, are you being a productive coach, in enriching the childrens life, and preparing them for manhood.

OH, I ALMOST FORGOT, ARE YOU WINNING BALLGAMES. :-D

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

some times it as long as everyone still likes him as a coach and as just a person

In high school i dont think most of the time its about the records becasue i havent really seen a coach get fired becasue of a record but the coach quits

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

i see you finally rented logan's version of hooked on phonics, i can already tell a difference.

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:i see you finally rented logan's version of hooked on phonics, i can already tell a difference.
whats that suppose to mean? :roll:

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I JOKE A LOT. :lol:

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

i was just wondering if you were saying my splelling got better or my sentences made sense :lol:

Return to “Football”