Dark And Foreboding - Tank Stadium - It's Changing Look

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Dark And Foreboding - Tank Stadium - It's Changing Look

Post by kantuckyII »

It looks so funny to see that tower down and the other buildings missing.

A cold wind whips snow across Tank Stadium

gotigers
Freshman Team

Post by gotigers »

Looks like a great place for a fieldhouse doesn't it? No? How about a jumbotron? No? How about a student section? No? Any other ideas?

GO TIGERS!!!

GO TIGERS!!!
kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I was thinking they could get a real bargain on a screen from a drive in that is closing and during the off season, show movies there.

Also, I remember when Pink Floyd was at Ohio State's stadium in the open shoe part..with it now being closed, if they return, they'll need another location to do their show in Ohio in. What a great place for them to set up their stage!

hilltopkid
Freshman Team

Post by hilltopkid »

Floyd. cool!!
make sure you leave room for the flying pig.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

it would be cool to have the pig fly into the school building and the whole thing explode (I'm speaking of the building they're tearing down now, of course). The could also fly the plane into it too. This would save money on demolition while at the same time raise a whole lot!

I could see that pig wagging and bouncing on top of Tank Stadium. I bet we could raise enough money for turf with that concert!

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

kantuckyII wrote:I was thinking they could get a real bargain on a screen from a drive in that is closing and during the off season, show movies there.

The way it has been the last couple of years, most people would leave before the movie was over..... :roll: :roll: :lol:

Be kind to all who come into your presence
kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I knew, when I came on and see the football forum and the last poster was you where it was going to be found and what it was going to be! :lol:

ItownBrowns
Freshman Team

Post by ItownBrowns »

If Ironton does ever decide to put in field turf I hope they move the field closer to the home grandstands. there is no need for that large seperation from the field. It would greatly improve the viewing from the home side. Also by doing so you would create more distance from the track on the visitors side of the field. That side has always been locked in and unable to expand because of the short distance between the stands and the track. With more distance, even 10 to 20 feet they could put in a much improved press box with steeper stands capable of holding many more fans. Just something to think about if the field is redone.
Also if there is going to be nothing in the south end of the stadium but a miserable ole parking lot, why not move the scoreboard down there so all can see it. Even better, get a new scoreboard that is much bigger and improved to put down there. Its Ironton for crying out loud, if your going to be one of the top programs in the state and southern Ohio you should have a facility that resembles that.

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

ItownBrowns wrote:If Ironton does ever decide to put in field turf I hope they move the field closer to the home grandstands. there is no need for that large seperation from the field. It would greatly improve the viewing from the home side. Also by doing so you would create more distance from the track on the visitors side of the field. That side has always been locked in and unable to expand because of the short distance between the stands and the track. With more distance, even 10 to 20 feet they could put in a much improved press box with steeper stands capable of holding many more fans. Just something to think about if the field is redone.
Also if there is going to be nothing in the south end of the stadium but a miserable ole parking lot, why not move the scoreboard down there so all can see it. Even better, get a new scoreboard that is much bigger and improved to put down there. Its Ironton for crying out loud, if your going to be one of the top programs in the state and southern Ohio you should have a facility that resembles that.

ITB, I am not sure moving the field toward the home stands will improve much but it should be considered. On the visitor side there is no track in front of the stands, if you remember the track ran outside the fence where the practice field is now......

I agree on moving the scoreboard to the south end where the field house was and a new one would be great.......

If we ever get turf I would like to see a field similiar to Massilon's with an "I" in the middle and Ironton in one end zone and Tigers in the other end zone.....and no kick-ball lnes on the field.........so much for dreaming...... ;-)

USAF_Defender23
Varsity

Post by USAF_Defender23 »

Looks alot different then the last time I seen it.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Itownbrowns wrote:
If Ironton does ever decide to put in field turf I hope they move the field closer to the home grandstands.

not a bad idea

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

the grass on the feild has never looked better :lol:

71tigeralum
Waterboy

Tiger stadium way back when...

Post by 71tigeralum »

When I was a real little kid, (i was probably 7 or 8 and it was 1960 or so, you could do that safely back then) I would walk a couple of blocks over to the Tank and see the game from outside the stadium grounds and watch the large number of people outside watching the game, handing onthe fence to watch. Sometimes you couldn't find a spot to watch thru unless you squinted thrui the gap between people to see the field.

Of course those were different days. Some people couldn't afford a ticket and in some cases there wasn't room for them to get into the stands. (they didn't have standing room only tickets sold back then. The stands were divided in 3 sections: a student section, and 2 non-student areas, and if the stands filled, you doul;dn't get in.

Back then the boilerhouse had the scoreboard. It was a class of 1956?8? donation in memory of then Sophmore Mary Lou Remy who had died of Lukemia when it was considered a rare disease.

Back then it was the Tigers in the COL and they were not a powerhouse and it showed, The big schools had bigger linemes, etc...

I can remember the 1970 home game against Ashland, The field was deep in mud, the afternoon before the game Ashland Oil sent over a chopper to blow water off the field and dry it out some.

Some day I hope we can update the Tank's Historical marker to mention it's the home of the Thanksgiving Day Football game tradition that the tanks'/ Spartans decendants' - the Detroit Lions still play..

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

It needs something on the left side to complment the stands on the right oh and on the other end

I like seeing a snow cover field its what i want to play in during the season

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

71tigeralum...........Just a little correction on your post.......It was Jo Lee Remy who had the scoreboard dedicated to her, her brother Jeff was a graduate with the IHS class of 60.......

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I JUST HOPE IT'S ALL DONE, STADIUM WORK, BEFORE NEXT SEASON. 10 YEARS AGO, I WOULD NOT HAVE CONSIDERED TURF, BUT IT IS SAFER THAN GRASS NOW.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

It makes the stadium look really huge.

I have to agree about moving the scoreboard. From the visitors section on the other end of the scoreboard, it is very hard to see.

How about getting Coke to pony up some money and buy the Tigers a new scoreboard or go to Pepsi and tell them that you will go back to them if they put you in a new scoreboard. Don't be surprised that they wouldn't do it. It never hurts to ask.

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Post by TheMalteseFalcon »

TigerTownTurkey wrote:If we ever get turf I would like to see a field similiar to Massilon's with an "I" in the middle and Ironton in one end zone and Tigers in the other end zone..

The last time I saw it, it had Biggdawgg's TROJANS in one end zone or the other most of the time. :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

(Sorry, Dowgg put me up to it.) LOL

Home of the Atlanta Falcons.
Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

If those big open space on both ends it will look horrible. They need to put the smokestack back in. On the street side they should build an entrance way like Ashlands. That would be cool.

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

TheMalteseFalcon wrote:
TigerTownTurkey wrote:If we ever get turf I would like to see a field similiar to Massilon's with an "I" in the middle and Ironton in one end zone and Tigers in the other end zone..

The last time I saw it, it had Biggdawgg's TROJANS in one end zone or the other most of the time. :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

(Sorry, Dowgg put me up to it.) LOL

Merry Xmas to you to......... :lol:

are you going to make lunch tomorrow.......we havent seen your smiling face for a long time...... :?: :?:

Return to “Football”