Blackstone out at Millersport

hilltopkid
Freshman Team

Blackstone out at Millersport

Post by hilltopkid »

Coach Blackstone has resigned after one year at the helm of the Lakers program. He announced it to his players at school today.Not sure of the reasons, but I'm sure they are good ones. SOme our hinting that the kids wouldn't lift. Sure would like to see the program get better.they had a few good years in the early 2000's but you have to go back to the late 60's before that. I guess they're just on the wrong side of the Lake.lol Maybe some of the urbanites buying up all the land around Cols. will head to Walnut Twshp. :? :?

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I took in one Laker game last seasoin and it appeared they had two solid players and a few others who look to be giving it all.

It would be nice to see this school do better but it will be a struggle being I think I read where they are land locked(no room to grow)

Army
S

Re: Blackstone out at Millersport

Post by Army »

hilltopkid wrote:Coach Blackstone has resigned after one year at the helm of the Lakers program. He announced it to his players at school today.Not sure of the reasons, but I'm sure they are good ones. SOme our hinting that the kids wouldn't lift. Sure would like to see the program get better.they had a few good years in the early 2000's but you have to go back to the late 60's before that. I guess they're just on the wrong side of the Lake.lol Maybe some of the urbanites buying up all the land around Cols. will head to Walnut Twshp. :? :?

Hilltop,

Wow....I know Larry, he was one of my assistant football coaches in high school at Wellston in the early 70's. He was also our wrestling coach. I guess he was the head coach at Jackson and won the SEOAL with them in the 80's, and at Wellston in 90's. One thing about Larry, he is big-time on the weight room. I was stationed overseas when he took over Wellston's team in the 90's. I guess he took the program from 20 plus players coming out to 65 plus coming out for the Varsity Team. He also beat Newark Catholic while at Wellston. :-D

Great Guy, no non-sense coach, big time motivator and leader, and cares about the kids. Sorry to hear about him leaving Millersport. Too bad Wellston did not keep him. Every time it seems Wellston has a winner, they get rid of them or they leave, due to a better offer. There was Coach Fyffe a Jackson Alum who could beat Jackson, especially when Larry was coaching at Jackson. But let me tell you, Larry Blackstone is a winner and was at Wellston :!:

After Larry, Wellston acquired Coach Dave Lucas from Coal Grove who led Wellston to back to back TVC Football Championships, and has returned to Coal Grove. Then Hinton who left last year. They went from 7-3 and to there second playoff appearence back to back in 2006 to 0-10 in 2007 :?:

No disrespect about coaches, I have not heard any rumors about whether they are keeping the one they have now for another year or not at Wellston :?:

The team was young and was in-experienced, but 0-10 with the talent they had :?:

WOW :!: :roll:

The last two that did that at Wellston, that is, GOING 0-10 were one and done wonders :!:

Coach Steamen in the 72-73 school year and the coach that they hired who was at the helm before the Rockets at Eastern Meigs in the 90's, I think he is an assistant at Wahama now? I felt sorry for the Golden Rockets last year. If they decide to stay with the same crew, many feel from Wellston and the alumni base that Wellston will most likely see another disappointing season and many of the talented players exiting to play for Jackson or Vinton County in 2008. I hope and pray not.

But.......Larry would be a great choice to look at, if there is a vacancy that all of a sudden opens up at Wellston and some of the prior ones who did not like him and helped push him out the door, can swallow there pride, he would be just what Wellston needs right now, or someone like him.

Just my opinion.

Army

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Larry is a good guy ,,my boys loved him ;-)

jungle cat
Freshman Team

Post by jungle cat »

Larry has trouble staying any where very long, can't seem to get along with the school staff.

JoeGatto
JV Team

Post by JoeGatto »

When a coach yells at kids on the baseball diamond practicing baseball with their high school team (during baseball season I might add) and tells them they need to get off the baseball field and get into the weight room...it doesn't surprise me he doesn't get along with school staffs.
Yes this really happened. Trust me, I was there and heard it with my own ears.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Im like Larry , GET IN THE WEIGHT ROOM :!:

JoeGatto
JV Team

Post by JoeGatto »

Then you also (like Larry) don't care about the kids :!: All you care about is YOUR football program. Sorry if that offends you but that's just the way I see it.

Army
S

Post by Army »

FrozenRope9 wrote:Then you also (like Larry) don't care about the kids :!: All you care about is YOUR football program. Sorry if that offends you but that's just the way I see it.

That's a bunch of crap.... :!:

He cares about kids. When Coach Larry Blackstone coached at Wellston as an assistant football coach in the early 70's when I was in HS, He also re-started the wrestling program while at Wellston in 1974 and coached the sport in 1974 and 1975 seasons. There were several wrestlers that did not play football. The SEOAL did not have many schools who had the sport back then. We wrestled the whole MSL from his old stomping grounds. We wrestled, Amanda Clearcreek, Liberty Union, Bloom Carroll, Berne Union, Logan Elm, Fairfield Union and Teays Valley and I believe Canal Winchester. Circleville was in the SCOL back in those days. In the SEOAL we wrestled against Ironton and I think Logan. He also was the head baseball coach in 1974 and 1975 seasons. And guess what, there were a few who played baseball but not football. I never saw, or heard of him yelling at them or anyone else because they did not play football. He was the Health and PE teacher back then. I had the utmost respect for Larry. So, I don't know what you have experienced, but Larry Blackstone cares about kids. He was a friend and mentor while I and many others played for him in HS. And yes the weight room is important for football. But who knows, maybe he was joking, or just had a bad day, or noticed one of his football players that had been skipping some time in the weight room. Everybody is human, give him the benefit of the situation. Larry is a good coach and does care about kids I do know that. I can see him back in those glorious early seventies. As we were running the RB plays for Coach Fyffe, we would look over at Larry, there he stood on the sled with his cud of (mail pouch chewing tabacco) in his jaw yelling at the lineman as they were dragging it and him up the field, and yes, utilizing his favorite term, "you dumb nut!" Awe those were the days! :-D

I believe that is why we tied Jackson that first year under Coach Michaels, Blackstone, Fyffe and West, causing our team to bond, and pull together, as we tied the heated arch-rival 8-8 down at Jackson. Why? Because of coaches like Larry Blackstone. The year before, Kenny Valentine class of 73' from Jackson, who now is the Offensive Coordinator at Chillicothe High School ran all over us at Wellston in the 72 football season. Jackson had there whole line back and most of the same team in the 73 season, that had ran over us in 72, but the Ironmen faced a whole different coached team in 73. Yes, Larry kept us all in the weight room and worked the daylights out of us, but it payed off. I'll leave it at that. If your still in high school, it's a good thing you don't attend Chillicothe High School. Most of the Cavalier Football Coaching Staff THERE are junior Larry Blackstones. :-D lol
Last edited by Army on Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:39 am, edited 6 times in total.

JoeGatto
JV Team

Post by JoeGatto »

Army...Call it crap if you want but it absolutely 100% happened and it happened just like I said it did.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

^^^^^completely believe you

I was at Jackson during his years as their coach. No if ands or buts he put our kids in the weightroom and they soon prevailed on the field. He would do anything for his players and vice versa.....but not too many were fond of him if they didn't play football. His doings at Wellston were equal in time and his success was the same as well. He's a good foootball coach.

If Millersport's kids wouldn't lift...no doubt he would resign that situation.

I'm not sure the talent of last year's Wellston team....maybe not an 0-10 team....but few wins.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

As one of his players from Salem said, "Blackstone-Whiterock"

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Trust me Larry cares about the kids ,all of them not just his stars. He was just trying to save that kid from a dying game....Baseball is a dead sport. :idea:

JoeGatto
JV Team

Post by JoeGatto »

No, he was trying to pressure KIDS into quiting one sport so they could lift weights for one that wasn't even in season. If a kid wants to play other sports besides football, he has every right to do so and NO coach should ever put pressure on them like Blackstone did. I garauntee you that he wouldn't want a coach of another sport pressuring his football players to get off the football field and get in the weight room.
As far as your other comment, maybe in Wellston baseball is dying but it's certainly not dying where I am.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Just for the record rope, Baseball is dead has been for years ...EVERYWERE. Its right down there with soccer...IMO ;-)

JoeGatto
JV Team

Post by JoeGatto »

That's simply your opinion. Just because you don't like baseball and perhaps baseball has declined at your school, doesn't mean it's dead everywhere. Major league baseball set a record this year for attendance. Pretty amazing for a "dead sport." Believe me, it's FAR from soccer. However, even if it were, that still does not give anyone a right to tell a kid to "get off the baseball field and get in the weight room." Frankly I'm amazed that there are people out there who don't see the problem in this. It's a shame that kids are forced to choose between sports these days instead of playing multiple sports. Adults should be ashamed for trying to make themselves look better at the expense of these kids.

hilltopkid
Freshman Team

Post by hilltopkid »

FrozenRope9 wrote:No, he was trying to pressure KIDS into quiting one sport so they could lift weights for one that wasn't even in season. If a kid wants to play other sports besides football, he has every right to do so and NO coach should ever put pressure on them like Blackstone did.

I don't doubt he did this. I know him well. He's old school football.He comes from a time when this was the norm. I can't say I have the same philosophy.I don't think yoy can these days, and be liked anyways. I think you have to support kids playing other sports in this day and age. We, as FB coaches may not like it. I wish all of my players would do nothing but lift and run in the off-season, but I know it won't happen. The best thing that could happen in my opinion is that ALL SPORTS coaches would understand the importance of lifting IN-SEASON and out and do it. That's the biggest problems at some schools. You get Basketball or baseball coaches that think their kids shouldn't lift in season. yeah right. These coaches(especially basketball in my experiences) need to visit a few successful college programs and see just how much they lift during the season. basketball teams at colleges power clean, dead lift and do alot of the Olympic style lifts. I have seen this situation first hand where a basketball coach refuses to let his kids lift in season---ignorant thinking IMO.
I can guarantee you one thing: No Coach is as dedicated and loyal to his kids, from the best player to the worst, than Larry Blackstone. PERIOD.But, it's a two-way street.If they don't respect him by devoting their off-season to his weight program, they won't experience his loyalty and dedication.

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

You know lifting messes up their shot don't you hilltop!

:-D

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Frozen , Baseball at Wellston is fine and competitive. I must say I was trying to get under your skin because as you stated Larry might have said that but you are dead wrong on his care for the young athletes.When he was at Wellston He was involved from the 7th grade to 12th. :arrow:

Return to “Football”