Portsmouth's Position in The SEOAL

BigSlowWhiteGuy
Riding the Bench

Portsmouth's Position in The SEOAL

Post by BigSlowWhiteGuy »

If an Ironton withdrawl is likely. I enjoy our new league and its competition but some form of realignment would probably kill Portsmouth's chances of remaining in the league. I don't think we would have any trouble retaining Ironton on our schedule unless somehow the SEOAL goes to a 8 team format with 7 games. The Trojans would seriously have to consider leaving also if that happened. The Chillicothe, Jackson and Gallia trips are not a problem and 1 or 2 long trips isn't bad either. The prosect of Marietta, Logan, Warren and Zanesville at the expense of a local rival would make for a tough decision though. Sorry for the new post but I couldn't get though the 200 and some on the Ironton leaving Thread.

Old Tom Morris
Freshman Team

Post by Old Tom Morris »

BSWG

At this point who knows what Ironton is actually going to do? First off I do not look for Ironton to leave immediately, as some have said it could be after the 2009 -2010 year of competiton. The BOE made a motion and voted on a proposal that had not been discussed with the Superintendent or the Athletic Department, so you sorta wonder about how all that will play out. Second, the BOE will have some changes come the first of the year, the vote could be different in less than 2 weeks

The funny part of things to me is that there has been more discussion of the subject of Ironton leaving the SEOAL here on SEOPS over the last few days than there was between the BOE and the Administration when the "descision" was made Tuesday evening.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

BigSlowWhiteGuy, first, because I only know this as a rumor, I think it's ok for me to say it as I'm not revealing any secret. I have been told by several that Portsmouth was approached as to starting a new league composed of teams here in the tri-state. I was further told that Portsmouth refused because they wanted to remain in the SEOAL. Apparently, reading between the lines, Portsmouth would stay if Ironton leaves if these rumors are true. Of course, they might not even be able to stay. We all know how rumors are though, could or could not be true?

I would have to ask someone though - *if* - these two schools were forced to go to 'pay to play' because of low gate receipts would they be willing to leave the SEOAL to avoid this happening?

As far as Ironton leaving or not leaving the SEOAL, many are apparently afraid to even discuss it here. One person I know from Ironton said they will not talk about it because they fear for their personal safety! Now how crazy is that?

Maybe there's a hit out on me already just for starting that topic? :shock:

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

kantuckyII wrote:

Maybe there's a hit out on me already just for starting that topic? :shock:

There has been a hit list on you for a long time........funny you didnt know that and everyone else in town did............. :lol: :lol: :lol:

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

and yet...I still breathe! Apparently I'm not long for this world!

BigSlowWhiteGuy
Riding the Bench

Post by BigSlowWhiteGuy »

I agree Tobias but I cannot see the economics of the four long trips every other year at the expense of games against West, Wheelersburg and Ironton. Honestly, even the Chesapeake game is a pretty good draw despite going head to head for attendance with the Ironton and Wheelersburg game every year. I can see:

Jackson
Gallia
Chillicothe
and 2 or 3 of the four
Zanesville, Logan, Mariettta and Warren.

I agree that no league with Kentucky schools is realistic with their playoff system. Now the SOC II or Some Huntington area West Virginia schools might be doable.

Army
S

Post by Army »

BigSlowWhiteGuy,

SEOAL Split Divisions that are truly seperate concept :!:

I still think that the SEOAL could split. Both SEOAL Divisions play for there own (League Championship) in all sports and play at least 5-6 non-league games until they recruited more teams to join and expand there respected Divisions. Plus I would change the names of the Divisions from SEOAL South and North Division to the Ohio and Buckeye Division or something like that. :-D

The SEOAL-South would try to recruit 1 or 2 more teams for the Division and play for an outright championship in all Sports. :-D

1. Chillicothe D3
2. Jackson D2
3. Portsmouth D4
4. Ironton D4
5. Gallipolis D4

(In the South Division)

* Chillicothe D3 could play some of the SEOAL North-Div Teams for Non-League games, Like Logan, Zanesville and even Marietta from time to time to fill there schedule out. They could get a contract with the MSL-Buckeye, MSL-Ohio and SCOL to play other non-League games. The SCOL has 7 teams and the MSL-Buckeye has 8 teams so they would have to be the first non-league games before playing North-Div Teams. They could also play MVL, CCL Columbus Catholic league and CCL Columbus City League Schools too.

* Jackson D2 and Gallipolis D4 could still play there SEOAL foe Logan every year and maybe Warren Local in non-league play. They are close enough. From time to time Zanesville and Marietta too. Then keep there OVC, TVC-Ohio, SOC II, and West Virginia Schedules for non-league play.

* Portsmouth D4 and Ironton D4 could opt to play the SOC, Kentucky, West Virginia, OVC and TVC-Ohio Teams for there non-league play and Logan and Warren Local from time to time. :-D

Thus, making an arrangement with those respected leagues that could be real and work. Try to make the deals for 5 years.

(In the North Division)

* Logan could start playing more OCC Teams for there Non-League games to acquire more points, and along with Jackson, Chillicothe and Gallipolis from time to time and the MVL-Buckeye and MSL-Ohio, CCL Columbus Catholic League, CCL Columbus City League. :-D

* Zanesville D2 could try and set a deal in playing the ECOL, MVL and Parkersburg Teams for Non-League games and also the MSL-Ohio Teams along with the OCC Teams like NEWARK there Arch-Rival and Lancaster again. :-D

* Vincent Warren Local D3 could set a deal with TVC Teams, Belpre there rival, Vinton County and Athens and play either Gallipolis, Jackson or Ironton from time to time. They also could set a deal with Parkersburg South or MVL teams. As well as West Virginia schools close to them.

* Marietta D2, like Zanesville, ECOL Teams, OCC Teams, Parkersburg Teams, MVL teams like McConnelsville and Sheridan. Chillicothe, Jackson, and Gallipolis from time to time. Likewise Ironton too.

Eventually, the SEOAL North Division would have to find at least 2 more teams to be up and running DECENTLY. They could ask a host of teams to join them from the OCC, MSL-Ohio or Biuckeye or MVL or maybe pick off a ECOL team or two. It could take place with the right advertisement and promotion by the league. That's why our League needs to at least appoint two Commissioners both being AD's from the respected North and South Divisions on a rotation basis, that hs this vision. It could work, the schools just have to get together and push for expansion and seperate and play for there own championship like the MSL, OCC, TVC and SOC.

The vision can work, the SEOAL schools have to work together to want and make it work. But if Ironton is really set on leaving with no alternative change then I doubt it will, and would be very skeptical to let the Ironton Fighting Tigers in any league in Ohio again. :roll:

They have a tract record of not staying long in any league they have been in. But if they did stay, then I would suggest move to the split division format where both divisions played for there own crown in all sports, it could work. Thus, leading to less travel and easily a compatible League that everyone can play in and enjoy. In all sports. Two Seperate Divisions in the SEOAL. What do you thank? :-D

Or a new SE-Ohio League could be formed with.

1. Chillicothe-SEOAL South D3 (335 Boys)

2. Jackson-SEOAL South D2 (378 Boys)

3. Waverly-SOC II-D4 almost and might be D3 again (253 Boys)

4. Portsmouth West-SOC II D5 almost D4 (186 Boys)

Or Rock Hill OVC D4 (222 Boys)

5. Portsmouth-SEOAL South D4 (195 Boys)

6. Wheelersburg-SOC II D5 almost D4 (185 Boys)

7. Ironton-SEOAL South D4 (216 Boys)

8. Gallipolis-SEOAL South D4 almost D3 (247 Boys)

BigSlowWhiteGuy,
Why I mention it I think maybe Portsmouth West and maybe Wheelersburg might complain about the size of Chilli. Jackson is much larger in population of students than Chill. That's why they are D2.

I think both could work. Some people have a vision that Chillicothe is a D1 School still. Not true. We have lost over 275 students in 7 years. The way we continue to reduce, we might end up a D4 School in the next 4-5 years. We are a City School District. People are moving out of the city and moving into the SVC rural School Districts.

Both WAYS could work :!: :-D

Someone pass this on to the SEOAL AD's and Supers. :-D

ARMY :-D
Last edited by Army on Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

army, i mean no disrespect to the ovc at all. rock hill should be in our league, or at least on our schedule. they are a big d4 school, that has really improved. but i don't see any of the ovc schools being able to compete with ironton in football, possibly some other sports. but nobody in the ovc wants any thing to do with ironton on their football schedule. and they are schools our size and bigger. but our future is as it's always been, in playing big , tough , larger more physical schools, and teams. but rock hill, should get in the mix. as well as wheelersburg.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

wheelersburg, would be very competitive in the seoal, maybe not right away in football. but are very dominant in their other programs.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Army
S

Post by Army »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:army, i mean no disrespect to the ovc at all. rock hill should be in our league, or at least on our schedule. they are a big d4 school, that has really improved. but i don't see any of the ovc schools being able to compete with ironton in football, possibly some other sports. but nobody in the ovc wants any thing to do with ironton on their football schedule. and they are schools our size and bigger. but our future is as it's always been, in playing big , tough , larger more physical schools, and teams. but rock hill, should get in the mix. as well as wheelersburg.

You're Tiger Bait,
I agree. It's the old memory of what and how Ironton was in the 70-90's, speaking of there size. The same goes for us at Chilli. We tried everyway in the world last year to convince Jeff Conroy a Jackson Alum and outstanding FB Coach to play us in a 2 year deal. Miam-Trace from the SCOL refused. Everybody hears Chillicothe from here to the North and they still remember us as a D1 School. Like I stated earlier in a post, we have lost almost 300 kids since 2000 in our District. Chillicothe is a D3 school. Heck for that matter, we can't even get Circleville D3, Logan Elm D3, Teays Valley D2 and Canal Winchester D3 to play us from the MSL-Buckeye. Hillsboro D4 or Washington C.H. D3 as well from the SCOL. And Waverly from the SOC II. They will play Jackson who is D2 and larger but not us? Go figure. We have to keep playing the Columbus City Schools and those dreaded OCC teams, that usually man handle us. :roll:

ARMY

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

i know what you mean, we had deals on the table with columbus desales, and massillon washington i heard trying to fill our remaining games. bnut the deals fell through. we may or may not have won, but we were trying. logan would never call either of these schools, and we are nearly 3 divisions smaller. so i think anyplace, anytime, anywhere. is still strong and alive.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

i mean, we missed the playoffs once in how many years now. like 11 or so.

Army
S

Post by Army »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:i mean, we missed the playoffs once in how many years now. like 11 or so.

You're Tiger Bait,
Rumor is, we might play Desales in 2009. You all know about playing Watterson too, do you believe Logan would schedule them? We were ahead last year in 2006 at half time 7-6 in our playoff game up at the old Columbus North HS FB Field against Bishop Watterson. When they broke Caleb Knights collar bone, who I might add was a Sophmore, then it took our wind out from under us. You know, I'll bet that the Watterson Team must of had over 100 FB Players on that team. When they sent in the play they were sending 6 fresh players every other play. Man can you believe that.

Or for that matter could you see Logan playing Columbus Brookhaven D1 State Champs in 2005 from the CCL or Sunbury Big Walnut D3 State Champs 2007 from the OCC Capital Division?

I doubt it.

ARMY

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

logan would not even schedule, nor could compete with the likes of d4 teams like mooney, coldwater, akron st. vincent st. marys , stuebenville, these games would totally embaress their programs, teams we've played with for years. they are 6-15, just against ironton. the worm will turn, an 2old will have to move, paladin already shagged butt. for indoor plumbing. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

i had the chance to play against desales twice and they bring the mail. luke fickle standout at ohio state was on those teams. logan was playing them also. thats big time football right there them stallions are some studs ;-) . desales will play anybody heck i think they play some d1 schools too

Return to “Football”