Bloom-Carroll football coach resigns

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Bloom-Carroll football coach resigns

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

http://www.lancastereaglegazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080103/UPDATES01/80103015

BREAKING NEWS: Bloom-Carroll football coach resigns

CARROLL — Mike Burkhardt has resigned effective Jan. 1 from all his positions at Bloom-Carroll High School, including that as the head football coach.

The school board will take up his resignation at their next meeting on Tuesday.

The resignation came after $2,800 was found missing from the Football Mom’s Club fund, said Bloom-Carroll Superintendent Roger Mace.

Mace said Burkhardt had made restitution. Organizers of the Mom’s Club do not plan to file criminal charges.

“It’s unfortunate we have to deal with this now,” Mace said. “Coach Burkhardt made a real impact on the football team and the school. We have expectations of good conduct that have to be maintained. We’re moving forward.”

Burkhardt was the coach at Bloom-Carroll for one season. There will be a football parents meeting at 6:30 p.m. today in the Bloom-Carroll high school cafeteria.

For more on this story read Friday’s Eagle-Gazette.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

This is sad. Stealing from kids. :oops:

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I have met the coach and have long been a big fan of his and have to say I am shocked at what has occured. I am glad to know the coach has paid the money back and admitted he was wrong in what he has done.

I won't pretend to know everything that took place to put the coach in a place where he did what he did and will also state I am not one who usually gives a person a second chance but, in this case I am goong to say I hope that the coach gets things fixed in his personal life and again gets to coach if that is something he wants to do.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Not knowing the full story but I could see it being hard for a single parent with 4 kids around Christmas time with money there. He could have thought he could pay the money back before anyone knew it was gone. It was good he paid it back instead of like many people who do not take responsibility for what they stole.

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

What he did is wrong and I am not going to defend it... but it's another example of how the public does not value education... A head football coaching position in itself could be worth 30,000 + when it is done right... and teachers are going to continue to struggle and not put forth extra effort until more communities can pass levies that do not do just the minimum needed, we need to pass levies that advance education... It's amazing to see how hard a lot of coaches and teachers work for less money than what they deserve... goes to show because all teachers have to have a master's degree, have tons of college loan debt and only start out between 25-35 thousand a year when around 5% of people in Ohio have a master's degree... interesting... value education but don't want to pay them for it

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

He was a study hall monitor not a teacher.
There is no reason to steal money from kids.
Get a part time job.

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

Head football coach = full time job

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

I disagree.
His first job was to be a father. If the current job was not meeting the needs then he need to get a second job. This is the off season. At most he has 2 hrs after school to open the weight room. That leaves weekends and 2 days a week to get a job and teach his children that a real father takes care of his own. I feel for him and his players but his kids are the true victims in all this. They now know dad is a thief.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

55Buckeyes98 wrote:Head football coach = full time job

If you truely think that justifies what he did then shame on you. He may be a great coach and win a lot of games but a mentor he is not. That my friend is a coach.

Syntax
Riding the Bench

Post by Syntax »

I have to agree with Bengalfan here. If he's not making enough money to support his family, then he needs to change what he is doing. If being an hourly-paid study hall monitor and football coach does not allow you to take care of your first priority - your own children - then you need to bite the bullet and get another job (or two) somewhere else that pays more (because frankly, just about anything pays more). His stealing is completely inexcusable, no matter what anyone says. It allowed him to be selfish and continue to coach football, which is what he wants to do. He needed to be a man, come to the conclusion that watching study hall was not going to provide enough money, and find a better paying job (again, practically anywhere, especially the closer you get to Columbus).

The reality is that teachers do not get paid alot of money. Study hall monitors - which aren't teachers - get paid even less. Complaints about teachers' pay is ridiculous because none of us can change it. If you don't like getting paid next to nothing for being well-educated, then don't become a teacher. If you really want to be a teacher, then expect to live next to the poverty level (especially if you are single with children). If you don't like it, then do something else. It sucks, but it is what it is. If you don't like either of the above two choices, then don't work, enroll for welfare, and let Bengalfan and I take care of you and your kids. You won't be the first.

He made his choice, however. Our discussions and rantings are validated. The least of his worries are people talking about his decision on a website. He has legal worries now, and how to get a job with this kind of criminal recoed (if they press charges).

bulldog0909
Freshman Team

Post by bulldog0909 »

any ideas on whose going to take over?

Greenwave38
Waterboy

Re:

Post by Greenwave38 »

bengalfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:28 pm This is sad. Stealing from kids. :oops:
The school has had stealing from funds before with a former softball players parent stealing money . They also have a AD on suspicion for other problems.

E High
All State

Re:

Post by E High »

55buckeyes98 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:44 pm Head football coach = full time job
Coaching is a full time job with basically minimum pay. No excuses for him. This is what he signed up for and stealing is NOT Acceptable

Rza1
Freshman Team

Re: Bloom-Carroll football coach resigns

Post by Rza1 »

Can't really get on board with the low key, kinda sorta tryin to justify the actions... and definitely can't get on board with the "..teachers need to be paid more..." argument... there is no industry in the country that spits out a poorer final product than the education system.. nobody on this site (unless they teach) would keep their job if the end result of their toil was as bad as what the public school machine churns out... one thing that the ol government is really good at is completely ignoring the results of their policies an ideas.. anything that they are involved in it should be said that failure is not an option...it's a guarantee...

Lonesome Polecat
Freshman Team

Post by Lonesome Polecat »

Rza1 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:30 am Can't really get on board with the low key, kinda sorta tryin to justify the actions... and definitely can't get on board with the "..teachers need to be paid more..." argument... there is no industry in the country that spits out a poorer final product than the education system.. nobody on this site (unless they teach) would keep their job if the end result of their toil was as bad as what the public school machine churns out... one thing that the ol government is really good at is completely ignoring the results of their policies an ideas.. anything that they are involved in it should be said that failure is not an option...it's a guarantee...
Oh look another account from the Parents of Portsmouth Notre Dame! On here running down public schools. Let me guess......only the Catholics do it right.

OleJackson
Waterboy

Post by OleJackson »

Not filing charges? Why not?

wch125
All State

Post by wch125 »

You all realize this story is very old ? Its from 2008 , so it's not the current staff. Not sure why it was bumped to the top

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: Re:

Post by greygoose »

E High wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:36 am
55buckeyes98 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:44 pm Head football coach = full time job
Coaching is a full time job with basically minimum pay. No excuses for him. This is what he signed up for and stealing is NOT Acceptable
It's a 2008 post, ;)

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

wch125 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:57 am You all realize this story is very old ? Its from 2008 , so it's not the current staff. Not sure why it was bumped to the top
Sounds like someone had nothing to do so they brought back an old story that seems to be water under the bridge.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
West Rowan Falcons
Freshman Team

Post by West Rowan Falcons »

that's why old threads need deleted

Return to “Football”