Marietta Football 2008

DevilDog
Waterboy

Marietta Football 2008

Post by DevilDog »

Any news about Tiger Football for 2008 ? Players, Coaching, Schedule.

LoveSponge425
Waterboy

Re: Marietta Football 2008

Post by LoveSponge425 »

Spicer lost his teaching job, Schob going to Warren, Murphy going to Frontier, and BJ is going to coach at the Middle School and Schenkel will be the Head Coach. That is what we are hearing.

Who is going to help Schenkel???????

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Sounds like some big shake-ups over in Tigertown.

If Schenkel is taking over for the Tigers I think it will be good news for the program. Spicer laid a solid foundation, but his teams could never seem to get over the "hump."

This team has a lot of good skill players coming back. They have some talented and experienced linemen to replace, but the upcoming senior class has been successful all the way up through the system.

schenk11
All Conference

Post by schenk11 »

Thanks for the Endorsement Locos.

LoveSponge425 wrote:Spicer lost his teaching job, Schob going to Warren, Murphy going to Frontier, and BJ is going to coach at the Middle School and Schenkel will be the Head Coach. That is what we are hearing.

Who is going to help Schenkel???????

Everyone needs to remember, Marietta is a big RUMOR town. I am not sure who LoveSponge425 is, who "we" is, or where he/she is hearing things from. I can assure that Schenkel will not be the head coach. At this point in time, teaching full time, full-time college student completing masters, I do not have the time to be a varsity football head coach. I do some day want to be a head football coach, but this is not the right time in my life to take on that responsibility. So LoveSonge I do not know what else to tell you but chalk it up to the Marietta RUMOR mill.

Let me clear up the rumors that you have in your post.
Spicer did not have a teaching job. He was the Dean of Students which was neither a teaching job or an administrative job. The powers that be decided his job was not a "necessary position" and the job was eliminated. He was not fired, his position was eliminated.

Schob has an intriguing offer from Warren to install the spread, and be the full offensive coordinator. Schob wants to stay at Marietta, it is his alma mater, it is where his kids go, and he has a lot invested in the Marietta program. He has NOT accepted, but not ruled out, Coach Pifer's offer at Warren. He is waiting to see what happens with the Marietta job, but can not wait forever.

Murphy is more than likely going to go to Frontier. He has a teaching job at Frontier High School, he lives 7 minutes from the school, instead of 30 minutes from Marietta, it is his alma mater, and it makes sense for him to make the move. This will be a great loss for the Marietta program if this is his final decision.

BJ wants to stay at the high school with the varsity program. He has not said that he is going to the middle school. He had made plans with Coach Spicer, before his job was eliminated, to be at the high school next season.

After talking to Marietta's AD this morning, Marietta has discussed the job with a few people. Both who would be excellent for the job. With no teaching jobs out there to offer anyone, and the schools looking to let teacher go, it will not be a very intriguing job for most people. Not a good situation financially in the schools to and not a teaching job to offer someone.

In the best interest of the kids involved, because let's all remember, that is who it is about, I wanted to clear things up a little. I, Schenkel, will not be the head coach, all the above mentioned people have not left home yet. With things up in the air, we all have looked at what other coaching options we have though, but have not made any moves as of this point. We all love the kids that we have worked with at Marietta and would love to continue working with these kids, we will all just have to see how it works out.

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

well those coaches that leave will be missed.

Coach Murphy worked great with coach schenk on the defense and Coach schob was just an all around fun person to be around.

Coach Spicer was a great coach and sometimes records dont matter with jugding wether a coach is good or not because this him records didnt mean a whole lot in the end because kids that were coached by him got much more than just learning to play football. He taught us how to deal with things in the real world. Adversity was his big thing and marietta had plenty of that.

I hope those who have an opprutunity to return to return because i think next season is the season where we put it all together

and on Coach May he is a great linemen coach and a great guy and i hope that he decides to stay at the high school but i heard that he might be coaching the Harmar hawks(just kidding :mrgreen: ) but if he does go to the middle school i m sure he will have a great team to work with.

oh and schenk you never said if you are coming back as the d man or not/

i know you have alot going on but i hope something works out with you that you can be there to work with us. and i mean us as in the team that likes you alot as a coach the team with will never give up play through thick and thin the team that will adjust their playing style to your defense. and the team that likes defense more than offense( ;-) )

hope for the best for all

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

oh and on the real topic about schedule and players

Schedule is another grinder with hillard darby up first and a few more out of league games its another challenging one.

Players

Offense will most likely be
Cody at QB
Perry Wheeler and Anthony Tabler at running back
Sean Billy and Zane at WR
and well the line is unknown but Stratton is back and Offy is back and Ryan Sawyer is snap

Defense

Line men
Stratton Jonhson
COnnar Hess
Eric McCauley
Nick Place
Chris Pierce
Davide "Action" Jackson

LineBackers
Lance Weppler
Jared Ross
Justin Green
Ryan Offenburger (he plays different postions so im not sure)
Zach Dumas
Justin Sturm

Secondary
Sean
Perry
Jacob George
Garrett Kerr
Billy
Zane
Anthony

and im sure whoever else sees this will add some people
Last edited by BigMcCauley55 on Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Munfield and Eschbaugh

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

schenk -

Thanks for shedding some light on the "facts" over in Tigertown. Sounds like it has been and will continue to be a wild off-season. It sounds like there are enough pieces in place to keep the kids involved between now and August.

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

sorry munfield is sean and esh is zane

westbrook18
All State

Post by westbrook18 »

Coach Schob wants the job at Marietta. They are having a board meeting very soon on this matter. Mr. Elliott the principal also wants to see Andy Schob get the job. I think all of the players do, too. I don't see why the board wouldn't want to hire a guy who has been in the system and around Marietta sports for a very long time. It's not set in stone but I'd say it's a pretty sure thing, hopefully.

bobbyflaymania
Waterboy

Post by bobbyflaymania »

yeah that'd be good. get someone who the players are familiar with.

LoveSponge425
Waterboy

Post by LoveSponge425 »

Warren replaced Grider a few years ago with a in-house guy that the kids liked, and it was a total train wreck! I'm sure Coach Schob will make a better fit than Marty did at Warren.
Is there anybody else interviewing for the job? Is there any teaching jobs?

Good Luck Tigers!

C4PITTS
Waterboy

Post by C4PITTS »

Was'nt Schenkel listed in the program last year as the assistant head coach ? Maybe they were counting on him just stepping right in but as we know is not interested.

Heard Cieslewski's (sp) name mentioned as being in the mix but with his limited success at Belpre I would find that a hard one to believe.

Hope they put forth some kind of a coaching search instead of taking the easy way out. You never know who might shake out of the weeds.

westbrook18
All State

Post by westbrook18 »

Yeah I was worried because I heard that finding a coach wasn't one of their top priorities. But I think things are looking good for Coach Schob.

The guy from Belpre coached here at Marietta around 2000. He might've been an assistant at Marietta College, also.

DevilDog
Waterboy

Post by DevilDog »

Schenk, Thanks for clearing up some of the rumors. Hope to see you back this year.

Here's what I have for a schedule going by other teams posts.
1. Hilliard Darby (A)
2. ???
3. ???
4. Warren (?)
5. PKSBG South (?)
6. Jackson (H)
7. Logan (H)
8. ???
9. Potsmouth (H)
10. ???
Any corrections or additions will be appreciated

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

that south game looks out of place

but then agian i didnt think marietta plays south anymore and warren does but i dont know do both teams play south?

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Post by warrnwarriorfan »

What's the word on the coaching situation. I thought someone posted that there was going to be a meeting of some sort about this on Wednesday.

The Marietta Times said something about a meeting in May. That's a long way away and a long time to keep everything up in the air.

schenk11
All Conference

Post by schenk11 »

8/22 Hilliard Darby A
8/29 Cambridge A
9/5 New Philadelphia H
9/12 Warren H
9/19 Parkersburg South H
9/26 Jackson H
10/3 Logan H
10/10 Zanesville A
10/17 Portsmouth A
10/24 Gallia A

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

some long road trips

DevilDog
Waterboy

Post by DevilDog »

Thanks for finishing the schedule Schenk. Travel times aren't much different than past years, but 2 Away, 5 straight Home, then the last 3 Away is a big change. Hopefully after the big home stretch, we will have the momentum advantage going into the last 3 straight away games to give us a shot at the play-offs. Tigers need to get in the weight room NOW! GOOD LUCK!!

Return to “Football”