Gallia Academy Best Running Backs EVER?

BBallin fool
SEOP

Gallia Academy Best Running Backs EVER?

Post by BBallin fool »

My vote goes to Pete Neal 72 Grad!!!Held most all records at GA at one time. And has been over looked by the GA Hall of Fame!!! After 30 plus years??? Still holds maybe 4 Records !!! First team All Ohio, His SR year!!And missed 9 QTS Of play time because of a ankle!!! He was a smash mouth football player!!! He could run over or around you!!!And the application of Pete NEAL will be turned in, and its a shame he has been over looked so long!!!
Last edited by BBallin fool on Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Futurebkstar
All State

Re: Gallia Academy Best Running Backs EVER?

Post by Futurebkstar »

In the 90's I think it was Heath Hutchinson.

Mighty Mighty Devils
All Conference

Post by Mighty Mighty Devils »

I always remember hearing Brian Minks name through the early 70's a beast of a running back and a few years back I remember watching bobby jones one of the most punishing runners( for his size ) I had ever watched

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

Mink was a friend of mine!!!B Jones was one great back!!! Hutchinson was one fine back also!!! But imo Neal was in a class of his own!!! Give him back his 9 QTS and all of his records would still be standing!!! imo all the GA records would of been his!!!Like the newspaper said in 72!!! Not just the 4 that still stands!!!

screamineagle02
Waterboy

Post by screamineagle02 »

My vote is for Jack Williams(if anyone on here is old enough to know him). He played for the BIG BLUE in the 60's I believe. Him and Euchus played on the same team. He turned down the great Woody Hayes' Buckeyes to go to Iowa. Got a Rose Bowl ring also(yes he did start at fullback). I don't know very much about Gallipolis football but Jack is a cousin of mine and he told me some stories of his glory days before he died. Woody Hayes and Iowa are some pretty good credits for this topic. Any other Gallia Academy running backs go Big Time football??? Just my opinion though.

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

I am not that old. I am sure all of these guys are great backs but like I said before 90's and 2000's mine is Heath Hutchinson and Ike Simmons.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

when i think of a great back. i also think how they would match up against the best defender in my mind.

heath ,bobby,ike,ty would have been blowed out of their cleats by andy howard. pete neal may have been a different story a big bruiser dont know who would have one the battle but it would have been great to watch :!:

schenk11
All Conference

Post by schenk11 »

Tony Logan?!?!?!

Snake
Waterboy

Post by Snake »

Was there a JJ Johnson in the early 80's?

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

Hey I coached Logan!!! on the lower level!!! He Was a good back coming up . Started Varsity after his 3rd game as a FR !!! was the teams leading rusher !!! All I'm going to say he could of been a great one !!! Had it all, and did not finish!!! :(

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

I played with Tony, he ran a sub 11.0 in a seventh grade track meet on the cinders. He must have been all of 5 feet tall at the time. He won by almost 40 meters. bbfool did coach him and ran him and ran him and ran him. in my opinion speed was not his biggest strength and the numbers tell you that he was definitely the fastest kid ever at GA, those thighs would pound you when you tried to tackle him. Explosion!!!!!! I think the time was 10.87 but he got faster as he grew and got stronger. I wish he would have finished too fool b/c who knows what could have been?????????

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

I ran the hell out of him !!! ;-) If you have a player with his talent , use it !!! I always played to win !!! Know matter what the last name was!!!

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

Tony also had 2 brothers that played for North Gallia was very good players; back in the day, Stirling Logan "sp" and Freddie Logan, Both had wheels.

RVRaiderFan
All State

Post by RVRaiderFan »

I'd have to go with the ole Hannan Trace boy.....Heath Hutchinson. Watched him play several times against RV and others, heck of a player. My dad has told me stories about Mink as well...heck of a player!

Another one not mentioned.....and maybe I'm biased cause I go to church with him....but Mike Hemphill from the early 80's was a heck of a RB at GAHS.

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

Dad always talks about Paul Evans from the late 50's early 60's but I certainly did not have the chance to see him play. I agree with Pete Neal from what I have heard from several people. I think Ike Simmons would have to rate pretty high recently along with Bobby Jones if only Bobby would have been healthy his sr year, pulled a hammy kicking off if i remmber right. The analogy of taking on a great defender like Andy Howard is a good one b/c only Neal could have given any fight against him. He would have destroyed any of the other backs mentioned.

BBfool, I always wondered why i never got to carry the skin any but I had D matney at fb and Logan at hb and Armstrong at wb way back in the day, now is see the light and know why i only handed to those guys and "reminded" them of their assignments on about every play. Those long tosses on those sweeps were a killer with Logan. He had around 20 tds called back in 7 games in the 7th grade and still scored close to 20. He got me humiliated by Coach Leedy one day when he told me to give him the ball, i switched the play (which went for 65 yd td) but boy did i pay the price on the sideline. I can still hear dad chuckling as Coach gave me down the road. Never switched anymore plays!!!!

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

jchip you had to dig deep to find bill leedy :mrgreen:

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

Gone but not forgotten, I still feel that reaming. lol

Coach L was tough but fair, he and Wamsley took no &%$& from anyone.

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

Talked to Logan today.Said that team had two QB'S that year! that played alot! ;-)

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

in eigth they had 2 that played b/c nobody else ever took a snap in 7th. even in practice we didn't share time alot. maybe he was referring to 8th grade year. i think at logan we got up by like 3 tds and another kid played the last series.

how is lil fool doin? Weights weights and more weights???? Tell him i said good luck and to just cause pain, i know he likes to hit and make it hurt, my kinda player. If the numbers are there people may be suprised this fall with the Blue.

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

JChipwood!!!He works out 6 days a week!!!He is my sleeper !!! ;-)

Return to “Football”