An Early Look at the SEOAL: The 2008 Chillicothe Cavaliers

loganlocos
SEOP

An Early Look at the SEOAL: The 2008 Chillicothe Cavaliers

Post by loganlocos »

2008 Chillicothe Cavaliers

Head Coach: Bill Davidson (6th Season, 23-28 overal)
2007 Record: 4-6 (4-3 in the SEOAL)
Division: III, Region 12
Returning Starters: 18 (9 OFF, 7 DEF, K/P)
Key Losses: Dom Whitehurst (DB), Nick Detty (LB), Zach Ray (RB/LB), John Anderson (FB/DL), Quentin Ragland (OG), Nate Freeman (OT), Ansel Benson (OL), Nathan Woodworth (TE/DE), Corbin Tanner (DL)
Key Returnees: Alex Grow (RB/WR/LB/DB), Shay Netter (RB/LB), Caleb Knights (QB/DB), Danny Demick (RB/DL), Marty Dunn (WR/DB), Kevin Scott (WR/DB), James Vanvoorhis (WR), David Dere (FB/DE), Ron Smith (WR/DB/LB), Jordan Benson (WR/DB), Drew Basil (K/P), Danny Russell (C/DL), Curt Smith (FB/DL), Kent Parker (OL), Jackque Wong (DL), Tyler Dunkle (OL), Tyler Vest (NG)

2008 Schedule:
Aug. 22 - AT Brookhaven
Aug. 29 - AT Big Walnut
Sept. 5 - VS Sheridan
Sept. 12 - AT Zanesville *
Sept. 19 - AT Portsmouth *
Sept. 26 - VS Ironton *
Oct. 3 - VS Gallia Academy *
Oct. 10 - AT Jackson *
Oct. 17 - VS Warren *
Oct. 24 - VS Logan *

Projected Line-Up:
Offense
QB - Caleb Knights - 6'2 - 180lbs - SR
RB - Eric Young - 5'10 - 170lbs - SR
FB - David Dere - 6'1 - 240lbs - SR
WR/RB - Alex Grow - 6'0 - 175lbs - SR
WR - Kevin Scott - 5'9 - 155lbs - SR
WR - Jordan Benson - 6'3 - 195lbs - SR

TE - Kyle Ramsey - 6'3 - 225lbs - SR
OT - Brice Clymer - 6'0 - 235lbs - SR
OG - Tyler Dunkle - 6'3 - 265lbs - SR
C - Danny Russell - 6'0 - 245lbs - SR
OG - Kent Parker - 6'2 - 290lbs - SR
OT - J.T. Gray - 5'10 - 300lbs - JR

Other Offensive Players:
WR - Marty Dunn - 5'8 - 140lbs - JR
FB - Curt Smith - 6'2 - 265lbs - SR

Defense
DE - David Dere - 6'1 - 240lbs - SR
DT - Curt Smith - 6'1 - 270lbs - SR
NG - Tyler Vest - 6'3 - 280lbs - SR
DT - Jackque Wong - 6'0 - 290lbs - SR
DE - Kyle Ramsey - 6'3 - 225lbs - SR
LB - Ron Smith - 6'3 - 190lbs - SR
LB - Alex Grow - 6'0 - 175lbs - SR
CB - Eric Young - 5'10 - 170lbs - SR
FS - Jordan Benson - 6'3 - 195lbs - SR
SS - Shay Netter - 6'2 - 230lbs - JR
CB - Isaac Beverly - 6'1 - 160lbs - Soph
Other Defensive Players:
DL - Danny Demick - 6'0 - 235lbs - JR
DT - Skyler Mallow - 6'0 - 240lbs - Soph

Army
S

Re: An Early Look at the SEOAL: The 2008 Chillicothe Cavaliers

Post by Army »

Sounds like they will be ready for the SEOAL Title if they play together and bond as a solid team. Good Luck CAVS.

Go CAVS refuse to lose :!: :-D

Roll Big Blue and White to Victory :!: :-D

GO SEOAL :!: :-D

Hopsing
Riding the Bench

Post by Hopsing »

AND do not forget this name DREW BASIL tremendous kicker for the CAVS also there appears to be a few basketball players returning to the gridiron should definately improve the skill positions Also I have been told that our 190 Lb regional qualifying wrestler is back on the team and attending weight lifting sessions.

Also the players seem excited about the new coaches they say both are the real deal

hilltopkid
Freshman Team

Post by hilltopkid »

Yes. Hopsing, Mr. Ramsey will definitely be welcomed back. He is a tough,hard-nosed player.

Army
S

Post by Army »

Hopsing wrote:AND do not forget this name DREW BASIL tremendous kicker for the CAVS also there appears to be a few basketball players returning to the gridiron should definately improve the skill positions Also I have been told that our 190 Lb regional qualifying wrestler is back on the team and attending weight lifting sessions.

Also the players seem excited about the new coaches they say both are the real deal

Who are the basketball players coming back out to play football, who sat out last year or the past few years?

I have a feeling that our CAVS will field a huge team this year, with the starters, prior JV's and freshmen and some extra new comers. This State Championship has started something along with the memories of our first season in the SEOAL. Last year was a let down, but I think the CAVS have the talent and coaching staff to win the SEOAL and make it to the D3 Playoffs if they play to their potential. There are 3-4 really good teams this season in the SEOAL. As always, Logan will be on top until someone can defeat them. They are loaded and will be a task for all teams. the great thing is, we have Logan at home in week 10. Just like Logan, Ironton is loaded too. The great thing is, we have them at home likewise. Our CAVS are loaded with talent and several returning starters. Hopefully our CAVS will be ready on both sides of the ball this season. I pray that they execute their plays to perfection and stay out of the injury area. Zanesville should not be taken lightly in their last season of the SEOAL either. For that matter, no team in the SEOAL should be taken lightly. Jackson, Gallipolis (Gallia Academy), Portsmouth, Marietta and Vincent Warren Local will be ready. I hope our CAVS keeps playing Zanesville as a non-league game once they depart the SEOAL after the 2008-2009 season.

GO CAVS refuse to lose :!: :-D

Roll Big Blue and White to Cavaliers to Victory :!: :-D

GO SEOAL :!: :-D

hilltopkid
Freshman Team

Post by hilltopkid »

I think one thing you'll see this year(i sure do hope so anyway) is SR leadership.No knock on the Sr's last year, but we really never had anyone step up and be a leader. The year before, part of our success was b/c of that very thing.LEADERSHIP. We had several, like Givens, Beeler, Ferguson,Steele etc...
Most of the guys that did step up and try to lead, were guys from this SR class. I don't care what anyone says, the successful teams in HS sports ahve leaders on the field.The coaches can only do so much in that area.
Take Big Walnut for example. I have seen Wetzel speak at 2-3 clinics this year and he has stated several times that leadership was the key to their success, along w/ an injury free season for the most part. He said they had 6 am plyometric workouts that he would open up the gym and the SR's would ask him to leave. He said he'd go down to his office and let the Srs take over. He said it was the most leadership he has seen in his career. Go figure---State Champs!

86cavs
Freshman Team

Post by 86cavs »

I hope!!!we see alot more leadership out this group of seniors.The one thing, I hope this team will improve on is playing with heart and soul.Alot of kids need to step up and play with some pride,you gotta be able to play through with pain,unless it's a severe injury.I think coach D and rest of the coaching staff will have this team ready to play.

beezee420
Freshman Team

Post by beezee420 »

nice work locos. enjoy reading these every year. you put in lots of time and effort for these. keep up the good work and look forward to reading about the rest of the previews.

hilltopkid
Freshman Team

Post by hilltopkid »

things are going good. Coach D has started personal meetings with the players and their parents. I think it's pretty cool and comendable that he spends 3 hours a night 4:30 to 7:30 3 days a week meeting w/ EVERY kids parents on the team. In fact, they have been told they won't play unless he meets w/ them this spring. This is a very good idea b/c it lets the parents know where their kid stands in the eyes of the HC and in a few instances, when they thought their boy was lifting every day, to find out he hasn't been at weights all spring. hmmmm bet there's some good conversations on the way home. In all seriousness, this has several positives. The Sr's also meet w/ Coach Basil to get their recruiting profiles updated and to talk recruiting in general.
I know Im a part of the staff so it may sound like bragging, but they did it before I got here...the staff at CHS under Bill Davidson does as much or mors for getting their kids looked at than any staff in Ohio. Trust me, Ive seen it from the other side.There are a lot of staffs out there that do absolutely nothing to help their kids get to the next level, and in my eyes, that coach should not be coaching much longer.Thats part of the job.
Keep up the hard work Cavs and get in the wt room. Good to see the B-ball players in there too.
Next season has already started boys.

beezee420
Freshman Team

Post by beezee420 »

^^^^^^

hilltop you are correct. coach d and his staff do a great job getting the kids names out there. i just wish that this was something that the coaches did while i was still in school, it is hard, if not next to impossible, to do all of the work yourself. hopefully all of the kids take full advantage of this opportunity that the coaching staff has presented to them.

keep up the good work CAVS. can't wait for the season to begin.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

good luck in 08 cavs.

jiveturkey
Freshman Team

Post by jiveturkey »

chilli will be loaded for bear this year and will win the SEAOL easily

Army
S

Post by Army »

1987chieftains wrote:good luck in 08 cavs.

1987chieftains,

The same goes for your Chieftians as well! It hopefully will be another exciting year inside our SEOAL. Good Luck!

GO CAVS :!:

ZvilleBlueDevil
JV Team

Post by ZvilleBlueDevil »

Why are the Cav's playing @ Zville in 08 didn't they play there in 07 ?????

beezee420
Freshman Team

Post by beezee420 »

ZvilleBlueDevil wrote:Why are the Cav's playing @ Zville in 08 didn't they play there in 07 ?????

i have been wondering the same thing since i saw the schedule for this year.

my guess would be that it has something to do with Athens leaving the SEOAL, but i honestly have no clue why. if anyone has more info on this please let us know.

chillout
Riding the Bench

Post by chillout »

Yes Chillicothe did play at Z-ville last year. But it's just a flaw in the schedule. Every team will have to do it when they drop teams or pick up teams i believe. Don't quote me though

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

chillout -

That's correct. We went to Warren in back to back years in '05 and '06 and we will play two straight games at Jackson, although not in back to back years ('05 and '08).

Logan sees Ironton in Logan for the second straight year. I'm sure we'll have to make consecutive trips other places as the years go on. It's unfortunate, but it does happen.

beezee420
Freshman Team

Post by beezee420 »

haven't heard anything on the team lately. anything new happening??????

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Look for the Cavs to have a winning season, but no SEOAL Championship. The Cavs open with their ususal tough schedule that could leave them 0-3 to open with. 1-2 is possible. Then, they have a shot at a winning league schedule.

Chilli will probably be the second or third best team in the league behind probable Champ Logan. If they can finish 6-4, it may still leave them out of the play-offs.

beezee420
Freshman Team

Post by beezee420 »

i was just told today that Caleb Knights has been offered a scholarship by the West Point Military Academy (a.k.a. Army Black Knights).

this should be the first of many offers coming Caleb's way this year.

congrats to a fine young man.

Return to “Football”