local ex player walks on to Ohio University

localfan000
Waterboy

local ex player walks on to Ohio University

Post by localfan000 »

Local ex-Marietta Tiger player Robbie Spencer was invited to try-out for Ohio University's Football team in early January. He made the first cut and went through winter conditioning with the team until early March. They just made final cuts for the Spring Roster. Him and another walk-on was the only ones that made it out of 15 walk-ons. He will be playing Wide-Receiver for the Bobcats in 2008. What I've been hearing is that he's been getting great looks and talk from the coaches as a threat to get playing time as a slot receiver this coming year. He's been competing in one on ones this winter and have been really impressing the coaches. I don't know just yet but he may see playing time as a potential Kick returner this year also. One of my collegues have told me that there has never been a local player to walk on to a D-1 program and play within the first 2 years.

My collegue tells me that this kid looks really good. 6'0 165-170 lbs kid. Runs a 4.4 40 and jumps a 36 vertical. Now my question is to everyone is...Who is this kid?! I don't think I've ever heard of him. Can any of you Marietta fans fill us in on who this mystery kid is?

oh and for you Bobcat fans and now tiger fans, the annual spring game is April 26th.

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Re: local ex player walks on to Ohio University

Post by RiverRatRay »

Ironton's Marcus Williams #24 walked onto the Ohio State team 2 years ago and started playing special teams immediately. Not only did he start, he has played in two consecutive National Championship games. He will begin his third season this year and is still a walkon.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Congrats to these guys--go SEOAL

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

cool

ItownHosscat
S

Post by ItownHosscat »

Lets hope he plays in 3 or 4 N.C. games

91Buckeye
Varsity

Post by 91Buckeye »

He's started on special teams, played in two national championship games and doesn't rate a scholarship? Just another reason to dislike ohio state. :? Back on topic, I hope the kid from marietta does well and shows that there is plenty of talent flying under the radar in southeastern ohio.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

That's awesome.
Good luck young gun.

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

91Buckeye wrote:He's started on special teams, played in two national championship games and doesn't rate a scholarship? Just another reason to dislike ohio state. :? Back on topic, I hope the kid from marietta does well and shows that there is plenty of talent flying under the radar in southeastern ohio.

I should have said Williams does have an academic scholarship. Maybe that is why they haven't given him a football scholarship. As far as back on topic, the poster said he was told that no one in this area ever walked on and started immediately and that is not the case. Maybe localfan000 can keep us up to date on the young man from Marietta.

schenk11
All Conference

Post by schenk11 »

Some info on Robbie from former coach:

Robbie is possibly the best all around athlete I have coached in my 13 years of coaching. He is with out a doubt the most talented corner. When we played Gallia and Jayme Haggerty in 2005, we played a 10 man defense with Spencer on Haggerty. Gallia used Jayme as normal in the beginning of the game and several times they lined him up as a wide out and sent him deep, in those situation Spencer was in better position for the ball than Haggerty. It wasn't until they ran somewhat of a single wing and Robbie started getting caught up in lineman that Jayme had success. I was standing with Spencer after the game and Haggerty came up to him and said that he was the toughest defender Jayme had played against.

Not only is he an excellent football player, he is also a great person, always respectful, great leader, and always accepted responsibility for his mistakes (never blamed someone else.) He was only at Marietta one season, as he transfered from Parkersburg. I have a tremendous amount of respect for him as a person and player. He went to Mount Union after high school but hurt his ankle the first few days of practice. They were very high on him and thought he would get playing time as a freshman.

Here is an article from the Marietta Times about him:

Tiger Chooses Mount Union
By Kerry Patrick

In Brian Spicer’s career as a high school football coach, never has he directed a more talented cornerback than Marietta High School senior Robbie Spencer.

On Wednesday, Spencer announced his intention to attend Mount Union College and play for the Purple Raiders.

“Since I’ve become a head football coach, Robbie is the best cover corner I’ve ever coached,” Spicer said. “College coaches asked if I thought he play at the next level. They want somebody who is physical and fast, and he has a great combination of those two things.”

Spencer spent just one season with the Tigers after transferring from Parkersburg High School. At PHS, he was played a limited role on special teams and the scout team.

“At Marietta, all I wanted was a chance, an opportunity,” Spencer said. “When I moved here, I always wanted the opportunity to prove myself. Coach Spicer gave me that opportunity to show what I could do.”

Spencer adjusted to the MHS system quickly. From the outset, from the first days of workouts he left a positive impression with the Tigers’ coaching staff.

“Anytime a kid moves in, you really don’t know what to expect,” Spicer said. “We didn’t promise him anything other than if he was the best kid, he was going to play.

“He set out from Day 1 that he was the best kid. He had that fire. I told my assistant coaches that Robbie was going to play somewhere. He came in with the right attitude.”

fter the completion of the season, Spencer knew he wanted to continue his football career. He hooked up with a former player under Spicer when he coached at East Canton High School. George Momirovic is an assistant coach with Mount Union and recruits in southeast Ohio.

“I knew Mount Union was a powerhouse football team and this was an opportunity for me to play for a team which might get me some rings,” Spencer said. “Another reason why I picked Mount Union ... I wanted a challenge and wanted to go some place where I had to work to play. If I am going to play, I was going to play with the best.”

Mount Union finished 14-1 last season and won its eighth Division III National Championship in the past 13 years.

“They lost a couple of starters at cornerback,” Spencer said. “I could possibly get some playing time as a freshman toward the end of the year and possibly by the Marietta College game."

“They’ve put me on a weight program and want me to gain another 10 pounds. They also want me to drop my (40-meter dash) time a little, which I know I can do. It will be tough work, but I know I can handle it.”

Story from The Marietta Times 5-18-2006.

Last edited by schenk11 on Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

localfan000
Waterboy

Post by localfan000 »

schenk11, thanks for the info. I'll try and get more info in the future. I'm Ramon Somners. I'm a graduate-student at Ohio University. I have some friends who's on the football team and I try and keep up on my blog webpage for local students keeping up with the team. So any new information I get, I like to ask around to get different inputs. I just started this account because I thought it would help me out. So thank you to everyone who puts in any information here and in the future.

schenk11
All Conference

Post by schenk11 »

http://www.mariettatimes.com/page/conte ... l?nav=5024

‘Great to be a Bobcat’
Former Marietta Tiger to play football at OU

By Kevin Pierson, kpierson@mariettatimes.com
POSTED: March 29, 2008

Ever since he was a small child Robbie Spencer had a dream to don the pads and play collegiate football at the NCAA Division I level.

Now he’s getting the chance to realize that dream, as a walk-on wide receiver with the Ohio University Bobcats.

“This is a great opportunity. I’ve wanted my whole life to play Division I,” Spencer said.

Graduating from Marietta High School in 2006 Spencer originally went to college at Mt. Union.

An ankle injury brought his career at Mount Union to an early close and Spencer transferred to Ohio University where Bobcat coaches offered him a chance to walk-on.

Walking-on at a Division I school is no easy task.

In order to make the OU football team Spencer tried out with approximately 50 other athletes from across the United States, mostly from Ohio.

Out of those 50 players five were chosen to go through winter conditioning.

Winter conditioning wasn’t a slouch either. Over a two-week span Spencer woke up at 5 a.m. to run for two straight hours with sprints and agility drills.

There were 40-yard dash times, weight lifting and general conditioning.

All to find out how much a walk-on player wanted to be part of a Division I football team like the Bobcats.

Being a member of the Bobcats also means Spencer will be suiting up against players heading to the NFL draft, which is exciting for the former Tiger.

“You mention the words Division I and you just know that you’re playing with the elite players of the nation,” Spencer said.

Though he’s only 6-0 and 170 pounds Spencer is strong, fast and talented.

Running a 4.4 40-yard dash with a 34 inch vertical and bench pressing 260 pounds Spencer is currently manning the slot receiver position for the Bobcats, though he hopes to move up the depth chart before the season arrives.

While he may be a walk-on player rather than a scholarship athlete Spencer said he is taking an aggressive mental approach to his play with OU.

“I’m going to take the position. I’m going to be the starter. I’m going to be the No. 1 guy,” Spencer said.

Spencer has a distinct advantage when it comes to playing collegiate football and taking that top spot.

Having been under the tutelage of Marietta head football coach Brian Spicer Spencer has played in a spread offense which helped him greatly in his walk-on, particularly when running routes against defenders.

“When I started doing one-on-ones with the starting corners I really showcased myself and was doing really well,” Spencer said, attributing his success to having played the collegiate spread offense before.

Now that he has made the roster for the Bobcats Spencer is leaving Saturday to return to OU for a Sunday team meeting and the beginning of spring workouts Monday.

The former Tiger will play in the spring game April 26 and is excited about being on the field for the Bobcats, especially when they play Ohio State this fall.

“It’s a great feeling to be able to strap on that helmet and be a Bobcat,” Spencer said.

Subscribe to The Marietta Times

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Wish the kid the best, fanlocal, however your friend who feeds you information had better check a long list of kids who have walked on and played. One that comes to immediate mind is Doug Wooten from Jackson High School who was a four year letter winner and three year starter for the Bobcats.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

CONGRATULATIONS YOUNG MAN, HOPE YOU EARN A SCHOLLIE. ---------------------------REPRESENT THE SEOAL. :122245

Doc Panther
JV Team

Post by Doc Panther »

Thanks fellows....great stuff. I've been posting these articles on the Bobcats Fans website http://www.bobcatattack.com.

Spring practice will be delayed until Wednesday as Coach Solich is working with a committe that's helping choose a new athletic director.

Bulldog
Waterboy

Post by Bulldog »

Just a follow up on the Spring Game. Robbie scored the game winning touchdown with 56 seconds left with a 42 yard catch and run.

White edges Green in Spring Game

By Ted Thompson / BobcatAttack.com Administrator
Saturday, April 26, 2008
A late 42-yard touchdown pass from Brian Sweeny to Robbie Spencer lifted the White team to a 20-14 win over the Green team in the annual Spring Game at Peden Stadium Saturday afternoon. But most noteworthy was the performance of junior college transfer quarterback Boo Jackson who completed 16 of 20 passes for 190 yards. After a couple of early interceptions, incumbent QB Theo Scott settled down to complete seven of 12 passes for 102 yards. Junior Brandon Jones also looked impressive connecting on seven of 11 passes for one TD and one interception.

Many of the defensive starters sat out the scrimmage due to injury. Safety Donovan Fletcher led the D with a team-high seven tackles and two interceptions. The defense tallied seven sacks on the day with sophomore Darnell Harris picking up two of those. Saturday's game marked the end of organized practice for the school year. The Bobcats will report to Fall camp in early August in preparation for their August 30th opener at Wyoming.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

91Buckeye wrote:He's started on special teams, played in two national championship games and doesn't rate a scholarship? Just another reason to dislike ohio state. :? Back on topic, I hope the kid from marietta does well and shows that there is plenty of talent flying under the radar in southeastern ohio.

When you have a limited number of scholarships availible, they go to priority recruits.

That's not to say that other people on the team are not vital to the teams success.

Many valueable players spent many a practices on the practice squad playing the role of the opposition.

If Marcus enjoys football enough to stay active and show his dedication to the team on and off the field (which I'm sure he does),
The he will be rewarded in time. Coach Tressell takes care of his guys. Many times a senior who has given his all to the team
is granted an open scholarship before his senior year.

If your heart is a Buckeye then you'd rather walk-on at The Ohio State University than take a scholarship at any smaller school.

Return to “Football”