South Webster football?

art_vandelay
SE

South Webster football?

Post by art_vandelay »

Anybody heard anything new about plans for football at Webster? The pee wee program has been a hit with the kids from what I hear and the numbers have stayed solid.

This weekend I was told that Notre Dame High School recently sold them some used equipment, but the person wasn't sure if it was for junior high or not. Also heard that supporters are claiming they can fund the program privately??*

Tartanblue
SEO

Re: South Webster football?

Post by Tartanblue »

If they get it, then it looks like we will know who will fill Green's spot in the SOC I for football if the rumors of them closing are true on another thread.

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

I am all for South Webster getting football. One question though. Will they play football games at the current soccer field now? If so, they might went to bring in ALOT more bleachers for the fans. Some away side bleachers would be sweet to. Just asking though.....

jiveturkey
Freshman Team

Post by jiveturkey »

football is dead at webstrer

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

jiveturkey wrote:football is dead at webstrer

Last I heard was the pee-wee program was going strong, and they were having problems with soccer numbers

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

Any new news out there?

marshallman
Varsity

Post by marshallman »

Its dead. They offered Minford pee-wee football program a great price on all their equipment. No support from the High school board wanting the program. Too much start up money.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

wow, that didn't last long

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

That's sad.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

talk to the president of Sciotovilles pee-wee football and he said it was true and that if kids want to play for them they were more than welcome too

sportsfan43
JV Team

Post by sportsfan43 »

Tartanblue wrote:talk to the president of Sciotovilles pee-wee football and he said it was true and that if kids want to play for them they were more than welcome too

on another thread a while back said that Sciotoville has sign ups for Sciotovilles kids only first, then if there is room they take more kids, she said thats how they lost a lot of good players to Burg {who won the super bowl last year}.

Im sure minford would welcome them also.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

sportsfan43 wrote:
Tartanblue wrote:talk to the president of Sciotovilles pee-wee football and he said it was true and that if kids want to play for them they were more than welcome too

on another thread a while back said that Sciotoville has sign ups for Sciotovilles kids only first, then if there is room they take more kids, she said thats how they lost a lot of good players to Burg {who won the super bowl last year}.

Im sure minford would welcome them also.

That is somewhat true, the rule was made when the current president stepped down for a year...but with him back, i see that rule changing. But here is my view on this....I can understand about them wanting Sciotoville kids to sign up and try not to have kids that live in other areas sign up with a chance of them going to Burg, Minford, or Portsmouth. But however if you do that there are kids that live in those areas that also go to East already and the players that dont could decide to come to East and play football there with the kids they played with in pee-wee. No matter which way you look at it someone will always find a way to make an argument against or for it. But that is just a chance to take on if they decide to go somewhere else because a kid from Sciotoville could decide to leave themselfs to play somewhere else.

Philly
All Conference

Post by Philly »

Yep, No football in South Webster. There were several boys who live out here around me, and they all played. They are so dissapointed. I heard the Boosters wouldn't back a football team. They knew that they would have had to build a new football stadium, and they didn't want the boys to practice on the grass in the middle of the track. Now this is what I heard from some of the parents down at the baseball, and softball fields. Such a shame. Wonder if there will be some boys going open enrollment to play football. Such a shame, as South Webster is a great school.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

why would have they needed to build a new field they have the soccer field in which everyone says has holes for goal posts already there.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

The people whose opinions matter were not behind football at Webster, so it'll never happen. It's a shame in my opinion because nobody can deny that there is interest in football at Webster with the numbers they had in their 2 short years.

As for a field, the soccer field was built with a slight crown and would have been a pretty nice football facility with more stands added. Lights would definitely have cost money, but why not play a Saturday afternoon home schedule for a few years? Oh well...it was a nice try and I commend the volunteers who tried to get this thing going.*

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

With as many kids as Webster had playing, you would think they could get all the parents together and do something about it.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Ozzie: not much the parents can do when the school basically says they will not support football or let them use their facilities, even if self-financed. Like I said...the excuse for years at Webster was that there was no interest in football. Well, that theory was blown out of the water by the amount of kids that came out and played the last 2 years.

So with the school not being behind the movement, the best thing for the rest of Webster's sports was to shut the peewee program down. All it would have been was a farm system for our best athletes (i.e. basketball players) to end up at Burg, Minford or East. Unfortunate, as I believe this would have been a great move long-term for the district in spite of the short-term startup costs. Oh well...all the soccer fans should be happy I guess.*

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Get some Football parents to run for the school board.
Start the peewee back.
By the time these kids are in HS they will have at least 3.
Thus Football starts at Webster.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

bengalfan: they've already tried that. With two Board spots on the ballot last year, there were two football supporters running...one was elected, the other wasn't. That leaves the current board at 3-2 against football from everything I've heard. So it's not happening anytime soon, if ever, now that all of the momentum from the peewee program is gone.

In hindsight, I wish this movement started 10-15 years ago. With today's economic conditions (gas prices, inflation, etc.), schools are understandably afraid to commit too much money to what athletic programs they already have, let alone establishing a costly program such as football. But with the supporters claiming they could fund this program if given a place to play, I was hoping to see a junior high program established through the school as a test run before scrapping the whole idea completely.

With all that being said, while I am obviously a supporter of football at Webster, I respect the Board and administation's stance on the issue as there are more important issues than football that they have done a tremendous job of over the years (look at the test scores). If they say the money for football just isn't there, then I'll take their word for it.*

RVRaiderFan
All State

Post by RVRaiderFan »

It's a shame. I know a few guys from South Webster, and they are really wanting to get this football program going, but it just doesnt seem to be in the cards.

Return to “Football”