3rd annual "Are Power Cleans Good for Football" Debate

cadmus sasquatch
Waterboy

Re: 3rd annual "Are Power Cleans Good for Football" Debate

Post by cadmus sasquatch »

The best 3 U.S.A. Olympic Lifters ever, started as Powerlifters simple Fact

Paul Anderson, Mark Henry, Shane Hammon,

That says it all
Last edited by cadmus sasquatch on Fri May 30, 2008 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

jiveturkey
Freshman Team

Post by jiveturkey »

And how many years were those guys in the pro bowl?

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Interesting, according to a majority of you a guy, Dan Riley, is an NFL Strength Coach for 27 years and does not know anything. A person does not stay at that leval that long and be ignorant of what he is talking about. How many Hall of Famers played for the Redskins while he was there? Was that not that the Era of the "Hogs"?

As Forrest Gump would say, "that is all I have to say about that!"

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

Are we talking about powerlifting vs. olympic lifting or are we talking about one lift and whether or not it is good for football players?

So, hooray for powerlifting!! I don't care; powerlift all you want, but that is not the topic of this debate.

That may be Riley's position now; what was his stance on the issue before?

I think it basically comes down to what the coaches want the kids to do. It is kind of like one coach using the spread to win versus another using the west coast offense to win.

cadmus sasquatch
Waterboy

Did you read all my first post it covers cleans?

everyone was talking about cleans being the greatest thing for football, and this is why I posted.

can cleans be helpful in some ways, sure, but there is others, when people got on here calling coaches lazy for not teaching it, than yes I will post my thoughts.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

This is off topic , but what the heck....

I think there is a major misconception that squatting equals speed.

I love squats. Squatting does help with speed, but there are numerous other factors involved. Although squatting does help with the strength required to be fast, squatting doesn't require the lifter to move his feet (except to pick up the weight and to rack it).

I was told to get better at something, you have to do it! It is not rocket science. If you want to get faster, run sprints, starts, and legouts (to work on stride) - along with weight training and plyos.

cadmus sasquatch
Waterboy

I have to agree if you want to get faster Run.

cadmus sasquatch
Waterboy

jiveturkey wrote:And how many years were those guys in the pro bowl?

How about the superbowl is that good enough for you?

Patriots vs Packers

the owner of westside barbell was consultant for both teams.
the article on page 1, is a product of westside barbell

People come world wide and I do mean World wide to study his methods.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

Let us not debate whether or not Dan RIley knows anything about training NFL players.

Note, however, that he trains only guys who are superior athletes to begin with. Is the risk worth it to train a guy who is already 1 in 10,000? prolly not.

Is it worth the effort to supervise a kid in high school so he can be a better athlete? I believe so.

cadmus sasquatch
Waterboy

I think if a kid hits the weights he is going to get some what better no matter what he is doing, if he is new to it, and he is being helped by someone that knows a little.

not taking a risk doing the power clean because they are great athletes, they have to still be squating, benching plyos or something, to maintain some of that ability

so did they power clain to get strong and fast to become great athletes, and than stop because the risk was to great. If they stopped than they would have lost some of that explosiveness that everyone talks about .

once you stop doing a movement you lose a great amount of your gains in as little as 3 wks.

Karl let me know if I misunderstood you post, I may have.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

KarlAgathon-so you are saying that I did not supervise, that is interesting!

Boonedawg
S

Post by Boonedawg »

I don't know this Reiley dude But I trust Dr. Greg Sheppard. ;-)

cadmus sasquatch
Waterboy

Boonedawg, I am glad you trust BFS.

Have you ever looked around at other things or is this what your coach used for you, and you have stuck with it?

either way you have your opinion and I have mine.

I simply believe there are better ways to coach explosiveness.

and I trust Louie Simmons, and many other strength coaches

has Dr. Shepard(sp?)
Ever been to Russia to watch there Olympic team train?

Has people came to stay with him for months from Europe to study bfs?

has lifters left school so they could come train bfs some place else?

good luck with your lifting

gymratt
Freshman Team

Post by gymratt »

Who cares what country does powerlifting or how good team USA is at Olympic lifting. NONE OF THEM ARE FOOTBALL PLAYERS. If you surveyed every NFL Coach and Player and asked what they would do if they were only allowed to do one "lift" I would bet my house that they would overwhelmingly choose some type of cleans. Squat would be the only competition. That's point blank and period.

And whoever said olympic leifts are bad cuz they emphasize flexibility is an IDIOT.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

I saw something kind of funny last night when I was watching an old UFC PPV.

Randy Couture was power cleaning!!!!

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

Does Louie Simmons play football????
I know his brother Ron Simmons played for the Browns. (Just kidding, Ron is not related to Louie)

sandman
Freshman Team

Post by sandman »

The important thing is to lift. When most of us were "younger", we put in hay, tobacco, did farm work, dug ditches, etc. Many of the great high school athletes we knew never darkened the door of the weight room because their parents needed them to work at home or they needed the money. Unfortunately, for the most part, those jobs are no longer there and the natural strength that resulted is gone. I once read that chopping or splitting wood, for example, was one of the most effective strength building exercises available and that it absolutely could not be duplicated in the weightroom (remember the Rocky movie?).

Any program today that is not lifting in a balanced fashion year-round is behind the curve on Friday night. Supervision is key, not only to insure proper form and safety but to make sure it is being done at all. The debate about cleans will rage on, thus the 3rd annual title given to this post. As I said, i think the key is consistancy in well balanced lifting. The team that lifts and conditions the most is the one that will most likely succeed. I think that the greater issue is a school system's willingness to allow lifting to become a part of the cirrulum, particularly in today's fuel based economy. What harm would it do to incorporate this type of strength and conditioning as a physical education option. It would be a wonderful in-school recruiting tool for the coaching staffs in all sports. I know that many of the programs out there do this but I do not know how many area districts allow it. Good luck to all of the progams in the upcoming year.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

We did it at RV

Return to “Football”