2008 SEOAL

Paladin
SEOP

2008 SEOAL

Post by Paladin »

A little early to be ranking the teams , but heres some food for thought -- my Top half of the SEOAL has Logan winning the Champ with ( in no particular order yet) Chilli, ZHS ,Portsmouth & Itown.

Bottom half ( in no particular order) is Marietta, Warren, Jackson & Gallia. Athens , had they remained, would have been the basement pick.

And in a reversal, the Top half has the tougher non-league schedules which may lead to lower over-all season records. Yet, that will be made up for by the bottom half who play an extremely weak non-league schedule ( lots of wins) which will reward the Top half with more playoffs points for beating them.

I'm looking at 4 teams that make the playoffs.

loganlocos
SEOP

Re: 2008 SEOAL

Post by loganlocos »

Paladin -

I'll swap Zanesville for Jackson but keep the same divisions. If they can keep the off the field distractions to a minimum, I think Jackson will have success this year. Zanesville has a ton of talent at the skill positions, but they lack depth and experience up front and I think will be a year away.

Too bad they are leaving the SEOAL. They would have been a true contender in 2009.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Locos

I'll disagree. Jackson becomes one of the have nots of the "new" SEOAL and at best, is a .500 team stuggling to avoid the bottom half. That is their future for quite some time as long as the SEOAL is structured as it is. ZHS leaving will help them. But not this season !!

ZHS does have lots of skill players and traditionally has enough folks upfront to get the job done. They could fall apart with injuries as they aren't deep on the lines. ZHS will be missed because they were destined to be a long time top half team in the SEOAL. ZHS leaving will dilute the league. However , for this year, the new coach has them finishing in the top half. He is the difference maker at this point.

And, look at my non-league point -- ZHS will be tested and improve with their schedule. Jackson will have blowout wins and not be tested, improving not at all.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

I will say

1.---Logan---strong everywhere and depth but shouldn't get too big headed.

2.---Ironton---several skilled postions but lack depth

3.---Chillicothe---sort of a question mark--players are there on paper but are they bold print or fine print.

4.---Zanesville---Have to replace too many big players. A team that is young in playing time.

5.---Portsmouth---Big team but I think they lack strength and are still a year away from contending.

6.---Marietta---???? This class is outstanding and if they start to show what they are made of --look out.

7.Gallipolis---A team that could be better on the field than on paper. With a little luck thay could find themselves in the top four.

8.---Jackson---Can they over come last year?

9.---Warren ---This team will be in more ball games come the 4th quarter this year. If they are in shape and the other team don't have the depth or out of shape Warren will come out with the ---W

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Before I post my picks What if two teams would finish unbeaten? How would they decide who is the league champ?

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

OZZIE -

Co-champions. That would be a real bummer, and the flaw with not playing round robin. Hopefully once ZHS leaves the league will play 7 games, round robin, so that no two teams can go unbeaten in the league.

billcox
Varsity

Post by billcox »

LoganLocos wrote:OZZIE -

Co-champions. That would be a real bummer, and the flaw with not playing round robin. Hopefully once ZHS leaves the league will play 7 games, round robin, so that no two teams can go unbeaten in the league.

I believe that is exactly what we will see happen this season. Logan and Portsmouth do not play each other. I'm predicting that they will tie for a co-championship.

WarriorBoy
Riding the Bench

Post by WarriorBoy »

In 95 or 96 it was tri-champs. Don't know the exact order but Logan, Warren and Jackson (or Gallia) not sure here. Was one of those deals that A beats B, B beats C, C beats A. And this was Warren's closest ever shot at league champs in football a three way tie. I believe this was a 7 team league at the time. :arrow:
Athens
Jackson
Gallia
Logan
Marietta
Warren
River Valley
Just throwin that out there.

billcox
Varsity

Post by billcox »

Yes, there can be multiple champs even in round-robin play but at least then everyone plays everyone which results in everyone playing the same amount of league games. The way things stand now, some teams play more league games than others. For example, I know that this season Jackson is playing one more league game than all but one other team (I forget who). More league games equal more chances to lose!

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

In 1990, 4 teams (Athens, Gallia Academy, Jackson, and Marietta) were all co-champions at 3-2. Logan was 2-3 (and 2-8 overall), and Warren was 1-4 I believe.

6 teams, 4 champions.

Either the whole league was VERY GOOD (Athens and Jackson made the playoffs, not sure about GAHS) or the whole league was VERY BAD.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I echo Logan Locos' sentiments about a round robin SEOAL football schedule. That's the way it should be done......whether there is an outright champion or multiple champions......everybody should play everybody.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I believe that is exactly what we will see happen this season. Logan and Portsmouth do not play each other. I'm predicting that they will tie for a co-championship.

That what im thinking , with the talent Portsmouth has returning it is possible.

I also think with only 7 team we should all play everyone. That way you have a true Chasmp everyyear. I can hear 2old on here now when we tie tham and are Co champs. LOL!!!!

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

Oz,

You have me all wrong. First I play by the rules. The rules are clear. Second it is a long way from where the Ptown program is to the league championship. Maybe they will step up and maybe they will stumble along the way. Just remember this ... The Chiefs will be there. They have the Talent and Experience to get the job done. Other teams haved had the oportunity to step up and have not met the challenge.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

No Logan- Portsmouth Co-Champs this year. I see the Trojans going at least 3-3 in the SEOAL ,but no better than 4-2 at best. Logan should go undefeated.

I don't believe the schedules are set for any Co-Champ possibilities.

billcox
Varsity

Post by billcox »

Paladin wrote:No Logan- Portsmouth Co-Champs this year. I see the Trojans going at least 3-3 in the SEOAL ,but no better than 4-2 at best. Logan should go undefeated.

I don't believe the schedules are set for any Co-Champ possibilities.

Paladin,

Often times I actually agree with your posts on here but not this time. How can you be so sure that the Trojans will lose 2 league games this year? I certainly expect them to lose to Logan because the Chiefs have the more experienced and talented team. In fact, I believe this years version of the Chiefs could be the best since 2000. But how can you be so sure that they will lose to someone else?

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Storm

Look again. Logan -Portsmouth do not play. Keep in mind you'll be very young. You do not win Champ. with lots of Soph. No one does. Losses to Chilli & Itown. Also a long road trip may get you at Marietta, IF they develope a run game. You have some size to play with Itown, but don't think you'll beat them. Yes, yes, I know. Not the old tiggers. Close, but no cigar. Chilli has more skill. And a much more mature team. Marietta has a pass game, but needs the run game to get you.

I know you think the Trojans are going to be good. Me too. Just won't be THAT good. The young kids may get better over the years, but as Soph., they'll be mistake prone, mismatched with some mature players and possiblly injured.

AS I already predicted on the PHS thread, they'll go at least 6-4, probable 7-3 and make the playoffs. No SEOAL title.

Army
S

Post by Army »

gahs4ever wrote:Several things to consider about the Portsmouth Trojans 2008 edition:

1. They have played Ironton over 100 times in the rivalry and are one of the few (especially area) schools to hold an all-time advantage over Ironton. (NOTE: Portsmouth ahead 55-51-8 source Irontonfootball.com)

2. The Portsmouth-Ironton game this year is played in Portsmouth

3. Chillicothe has demonstrated their first two years in the SEOAL that they are a vastly different team at home and away.

4. The Portsmouth-Chillicothe game is at Portsmouth this year. This is another of those rivalry games that has been played forever; even before both joined the SEOAL. Im pretty sure Portsmouth has the edge over the Cavs; perhaps by a wide margin.

PORTSMOUTH TROJANS

Aug. 22 - VS South Point
Aug. 29 - AT Portsmouth West
Sept. 5 - AT Wheelersburg
Sept. 12 - AT Jackson *
Sept. 19 - VS Chillicothe *
Sept. 26 - AT Gallia Academy *
Oct. 3 - VS Warren *
Oct. 10 - VS Ironton *
Oct. 17 - AT Marietta *
Oct. 24 - VS Western Brown

No, it's not by a wide margin. :roll:

Trojan Dave has the stats I believe. Yes it is a rivalary that dates back to 1898. These two schools have always played a close game over the decades. Chillicothe had Portsmouth's number the past 3-4 years until last season at Chillicothe. Remember, the first year in the SEOAL, Chillicothe defeated Portsmouth 29-28 on a two point conversion by Beeler with seconds left in the game at Portsmouth's historical Spartan Stadium. It's always been one of those rivarlies that has grown over the years. Trojan Dave, I believe only Ironton comes closer for the Trojans as a rival game, except maybe Middletown in the 40's-60's, while the Trojans were in the G.O.L. (Greater Ohio League) from the 40's to the 74?

Portsmouth has been Chillicothe's rival even when the Cavaliers were an Independent from the late 1890's to the 1920's; while in the SCOL from the 20's-thru-40's; from the C.O.L. days in the 40's thru the mid-70's; into the OCC days from the late 70's to 2005; and now as a fellow member together in the SEOAL.

One thing is for sure, when the Cavaliers and Trojans hit the field, it's usually going to be a great game. With all the teams in our SEOAL, even with Jackson closer to Chillicothe, Portsmouth is seen as our only natural rival we have in the league. This is due to non-stop playing against each other in several sports since 1898. The only other rival we feel that comes close is our old C.O.L. foe, Zanesville, which is leaving our SEOAL after only three seasons in the league. We have played against Zanesville from the 40's to the 70's and in tournament play from the 80's thru the early 00's in B-Ball, then again starting in 2006 in the SEOAL as a fellow member. The basketball match-ups between the two schools prove a point since the 2006-2007 SEOAL Season. The Cavaliers have picked the Zanesville (Blue Devils) up as a non-league game after they leave the SEOAL this 2008-2009 season and become an independent. I am glad to see we have kept them on our schedule in football. I only hope we continue the same with our basketball season between these two old foes. I also see where Gallipolis (Gallia Academy) has scheduled Zanesville in football too, after Zanesville becomes an independent after leaving the SEOAL in the 2008-2009 season. At least this is according to HighSchool Sports.Net Schedules.

Unless, that's a mis-print concerning Gallipolis (Gallia Academy) :?:

But, nothing compares to the rivarly we have with the Portsmouth Trojans.

Go luck to Trojan Dave's (Portsmouth Trojans) this season. I look foward to watching this great rival game between our two schools again down at Spartan Stadium. Trojan Dave, is this the last season your Trojans will play at Spartan field?

GO CAVS :!:

GO SEOAL :!:

billcox
Varsity

Post by billcox »

Paladin wrote:Storm

Look again. Logan -Portsmouth do not play. Keep in mind you'll be very young. You do not win Champ. with lots of Soph. No one does. Losses to Chilli & Itown. Also a long road trip may get you at Marietta, IF they develope a run game. You have some size to play with Itown, but don't think you'll beat them. Yes, yes, I know. Not the old tiggers. Close, but no cigar. Chilli has more skill. And a much more mature team. Marietta has a pass game, but needs the run game to get you.

I know you think the Trojans are going to be good. Me too. Just won't be THAT good. The young kids may get better over the years, but as Soph., they'll be mistake prone, mismatched with some mature players and possiblly injured.

AS I already predicted on the PHS thread, they'll go at least 6-4, probable 7-3 and make the playoffs. No SEOAL title.

Boy, don't I look goofy now. I actually stated above that Logan and Portsmouth do not play each other and would probably tie for the title because of it and then I forget. LOL The fact that Ptown doesn't play Logan makes your prediction of the Trojans losing 2 league games even more questionable. I have no problem with you having an opinion, but you act like you have a crystal ball and are guaranteeing that Ptown will lose 2 league games.

FYI - I'm not from Portsmouth!

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Storm

Simply be advised I've been around sports boards for a good long time. And for a good long time I've been highly accurate with picking games and how they'll finish. I picked the league EXACTLY correct as to how they would finish last year , by division & overall. Did the same the year before. I'm highly rated on another sports board with an even longer record than here.

You are entitled to an opinion . However, check back AFTER the season is over.

No SEOAL title for Portsmouth. 8)

billcox
Varsity

Post by billcox »

Paladin,

I have taken it under advisement that you have a crystal ball and are undefeated in the history of picking high school football games. LOL

Logan will likely take 1st place in the league. Portsmouth has a decent chance to tie for the title due to not playing Logan. Ironton and Chillicothe should be right on the tail of Portsmouth. Jackson and GAHS should be good enough to upset 1 or 2 of the teams previously mentioned but neither is likely to compete consistently. Zville should probably be grouped in with Jackson and GAHS. And finally we have Marietta and then Warren who should fill the final 2 spots in the standings.

Logan
Portsmouth

Ironton
Chilly

Jackson
GAHS
Zville

Marietta
Warren

Return to “Football”