Charging to park

grndma1
SEOPS HO

Charging to park

Post by grndma1 »

Which area schools charge for parking at the games? The kids told me tonight that Jackson will be charging two dollars to park this year. I also heard the price of a family season pass went way up this year. I understand the reasoning behind it, but it is getting quite expensive to go to games anymore if you have a family.

grndma1
SEOPS HO

Re: Charging to park

Post by grndma1 »

I'm sure that is a big part of it , but a lot of it has to do with the price of gas for the away games. The band alone requires five school buses.

JHS4EVER
JV Team

Post by JHS4EVER »

Gahs 4ever? Where did you pay $3 for a bottle of water. Not at Alumni Stadium because I know all the prices............

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

thats a big band :!:

lhsfan97
Freshman Team

Post by lhsfan97 »

$3 bottled water?

thank god I go to Lancaster games where bottled water is $1 and a 20oz coke is only $2. not to mention the important part. which is $1 hotdogs...lol

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

probably zanesville. they charge to park and concession prices are out of sight.

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

qualified ...

What's that cheapshot for? We have charged to park (a whopping $2) for as long as I can remember. And there is no way you can say ZHS concession prices are "out of sight" with a straight face. Those prices are fully in line with every other school I go to.

Parking revenues are important to us, and always have been. Also, you can't charge for parking at playoff games if you don't charge during the regular season. That money is very much needed for our athletics budget. It surprises me that more schools do not do the same.

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

You'll probably see increases in ticket prices, concessions and charges to park at more schools with the way the economy is going, which will probably affect attendance.

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

gahs4ever ...

Granted, because those things are a given. But I go to schools where there is plenty of on-campus surface parking that could yield a decent revenue, but they don't do it. To me, that's a "ya gotta wanna" issue. We usually farm out the responsibility to one of our booster groups for a generally non-revenue sport to do the chore. They get a slightly heftier "cut" of the take, with the rest put into the general fund.

Anymore, it's all about generating revenue. The LAST thing you want to do is soak the customer any more than necessary. But even if you add a dollar to your admission cost ... high school athletics are still a tremendous bang for your buck when it comes to entertainment value.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

JHS4EVER wrote:Gahs 4ever? Where did you pay $3 for a bottle of water. Not at Alumni Stadium because I know all the prices............

I know I payed at least 2 or 2 50 for a pepsi at Jackson, and it was in a really small bottle :evil:

JHS4EVER
JV Team

Post by JHS4EVER »

All pop and water has been $2.00 since they opened Alumni Stadium thanks to the school board wanting their share, but they forgot the Band Boosters donated $25,000 to help build the place.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

JHS4EVER wrote:All pop and water has been $2.00 since they opened Alumni Stadium thanks to the school board wanting their share, but they forgot the Band Boosters donated $25,000 to help build the place.

Im just giving you all a hard time...I buy it anyway....I dont like the ideal of not alowwing it and popcorn in the gyms, but our place has the same rules.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

not a cheapshot zv, its fact. i paid $2 to park. $6 apiece to get into a girls volleyball match. a can of pop was $1.50. now, i can afford it but maybe you could get more people to the events by not gouging everybody. with where logans new campus is, they could turn one heck of a profit if they charged to park. lets hope they dont or we'll be walking for miles.

chiefswrestler09
Riding the Bench

Post by chiefswrestler09 »

word on the street is there will be parking at the middle school and a shuttle bus system to the new high school....it works...sorta but the time its going to take to get all those people to point a to point b i'd show up about an hour early from the normal time you usually do...seems like a traffic jam on 328 every friday night...
one big cluster :!: :!: :!: :!:

lhsfan97
Freshman Team

Post by lhsfan97 »

Lancaster has never charged during the regular season for general parking but has always charged to park during the playoffs.

How do they do that with the OHSAA rules on charging to park?

Well a parking fee is attached to season ticket holders for parking right nest to the stadium in the grass lot for home games. And since we "charge" to park there we are allowed to charge parking at all parking lots at the school for playoff games

ChiefCruiser95
Freshman Team

Post by ChiefCruiser95 »

It wouldn't suprise me to see a charge for parking at the new high school. $2.00 I think would be reasonable as long as the food is kept in check. Last year at the GM-Hillard Darby playoff game in Upper Arlington I was shocked by the food prices, especially the "hot" chocolate. $3.00 for a lukewarm watered down chocolate in a bathroom dixie cup. Yikes!! :122246
IMO they will have to provide a shuttle from the middle school because I still don't believe that there are enough parking spaces unless I'm missing something.

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

If $15.50 is gouging, so be it. I know our boosters hate to raise any prices, but they are a victim of the same thing EVERYONE is going through right now. Our admission prices were set a few years back in response to rising costs -- and gee, don't you think it would bring some attention from Title IX folks if we charged "less" for volleyball than we do other gate-admission sports? Puh-leez ....

Two bucks to park. The money gets plowed back into the school's athletics. For kids. Two stinkin' dollars. You've got to be kidding me. How much did you spend in gasoline to get there, BTW?

fighting_falcon
Freshman Team

Post by fighting_falcon »

Zanesville is the most expensive place in the league to go, parking, tickets, food etc. Maybe they are in line with the rest of the state but in the SEOAL they are high. But like the rest of the USA if you can get away with it then ...

bushmaster24
JV Team

Post by bushmaster24 »

If you have got to depend on money from people parking .And cant make profit from gate and conncession.seems to me nobodys coming to the games anyway.So who you really hurt are the parents of the players who are coming no matter what .So that tells me the school dont really give a#@!#about the parents of the students.Who have already spent $125 for shoes $50 to $100 for camps , gas money back and forth from practice all summer long. and the student body dont attend sounds like to me.S omtimes i wonder where the money really goes .I think the money from gate and the concessions should be public knowledge on monday morning follwing the friday game.To many times i have seen the AD take the money from the gate and leave the game.if you have a good football team u should make plenty from the gate and concession. 8)

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

If you don't need revenue from parking (or, as gahs4ever points out, can't generate much revenue from it due to various inhibiting factors, so be it). But I would also guess that very few of you have run an athletics department -- ever -- and can not understand what it takes to fund ALL sports on just gate and concessions. Especially in these economic times.

Folks, expect those concession prices to rise everywhere. That is another function of the economy right now. I would also expect more schools to raise ticket prices, to help offset expenses. How many more schools out there are going to pay-to-participate fees to help defray costs? That's another revenue stream, and not one that should be implemented if at all possible.

We do quite well at the gate, even in lean times.

fighting_falcon ... We are "getting away" with nothing. The rest of the SEOAL will be there one day. We're just ahead of the curve.

Return to “Football”