River Valley Raiders 2008

RVRaiderFan
All State

River Valley Raiders 2008

Post by RVRaiderFan »

Let's hear everyone's thoughts and comments on the Raiders for 2008. The Raiders come in with a new coach, and a new schedule. Gone are Southeastern, Nelsonville-York, and Alexander. They are replaced by Minford, Eastern, and Oak Hill. Raiders scrimmage GAHS on Aug 9, at RV.

GO RAIDERS!!

sandman
Freshman Team

Re: River Valley Raiders 2008

Post by sandman »

I am excited to start the season and wish the best to the team. Let's start off with positives this year and try to keep from demoralizing the team before they get started. Good luck Coach McClelland on your new head coaching gig. You know I will help if you need me. I am looking forward to good things.

Derf_W
Riding the Bench

Post by Derf_W »

RVRaiderFan wrote:Let's hear everyone's thoughts and comments on the Raiders for 2008. The Raiders come in with a new coach, and a new schedule. Gone are Southeastern, Nelsonville-York, and Alexander. They are replaced by Minford, Eastern, and Oak Hill. Raiders scrimmage GAHS on Aug 9, at RV.

GO RAIDERS!!

What time is the scrimmage with GAHS on the 9th? Boy they should charge for this...

billcox
Varsity

Post by billcox »

RICKYVAUGHN wrote:This is a team that was on the cusp of greatness last year, so I see no reason why this shouldn't be a great season for them. They lost a few seniors, but I have faith that those losses won't destroy them. THey will weather that.

I am sorry to see Alexander go from the schedule. Those were often good games.

I wish RV the best but I have to ask, how could you possibly think that a team that went 1-9 last season was on the cusp of greatness? I know that they almost beat Peak and Coal Grove in weeks 9 and 10 but the fact still remains that they won just 1 game.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Speed and quickness!

sandman
Freshman Team

Post by sandman »

Last year's team was very well manned. Unfortunately it was too late in the season before they realized many of their strengths. Had they been more successful in the beginning, the end may have been different. That is why it is important to encourage and support them this year. We know they can win but they may not know it themselves, particularly if we beat them up without knowing what we are talking about.

Previous year's records are water under the bridge. Every season is a fresh start and this one is no different. McClelland has the advantage of being keenly aware of the strengths and weaknesses of his raw stock, something another coach would not have had. If RV supporters truly wish to turn the page, then this season is critical. All of the sideline want-to-be coaches, including me, have had 20/20 hindsight and scores of better ideas. It's time to look forward and do no further harm as our part to insure a successful future for this program.

At the beginning of last year, I asked a student if he had all A's. He replied "Yes, everyone starts the year with all A's."

At this juncture, before the first snap, anyone critical of this year's program and players can not possibly have its best interest at heart. If you are a fan, then be a fan.

Again, good luck to McClelland and the entire River Valley program.
Last edited by sandman on Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RVRaiderFan
All State

Post by RVRaiderFan »

Very well said sandman.

Actually, RV was 2-8 last year, not 1-9......but that is beside the point. When you are a fan and a support of a team, you should always hope for greatness from your team. RickyVaughn has that hope for his team, and that is what he is meaning SouthernStorm.

OSU Buckeyes 5
Waterboy

Post by OSU Buckeyes 5 »

Not trying to be picky, but I have a question. It was originally stated that RV went 1-9 last year, but that was corrected to 2-8. Did RV pick up a win by forfeit because joeeitel.com has them at 1-9 last year?

Southernstorm seems to be taking quite a bit of heat, but I think his comment is justified. He isn't talking about this year's RV squad. He simply asked how going 1-9(or 2-8) can be classified as "the cusp of greatness". I was actually wondering that myself. It's fine to support the team and have high hopes for this coming season, but the RV fans also need to be realistic.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Nice post Sandman!

Good Luck Raiders, looking forward to the day when all three football programs are in the playoffs the same year.

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

Great post sandman!!!!

How many kids did RV have out yesterday?????

OSU Buckeyes 5
Waterboy

Post by OSU Buckeyes 5 »

RICKYVAUGHN,

I am quite aware of what the word "cusp" means. However, I think the discrepancy here most likely centers around the word "greatness". Apparently your definition of greatness is very different from mine. RV may very well begin to change things around this year and I hope they do, but I feel that the "greatness" talk may be a bit premature. I wasn't trying to insult RV and I'm pretty sure that SouthernStorm wasn't either. It just seems that he and I just have a clearer view of what greatness is really about. Vocabulary is power, but reality is also a very powerful tool.

RVRaiderFan
All State

Post by RVRaiderFan »

OSU Buckeyes 5 wrote:Not trying to be picky, but I have a question. It was originally stated that RV went 1-9 last year, but that was corrected to 2-8. Did RV pick up a win by forfeit because joeeitel.com has them at 1-9 last year?

Southernstorm seems to be taking quite a bit of heat, but I think his comment is justified. He isn't talking about this year's RV squad. He simply asked how going 1-9(or 2-8) can be classified as "the cusp of greatness". I was actually wondering that myself. It's fine to support the team and have high hopes for this coming season, but the RV fans also need to be realistic.

River Valley picked up a forfeit win over Nelsonville-York.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

Good Luck to The Raiders!

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

River Valley hasn't been out of the cellar of the OVC for many years. My philosophy is "Don't bet against history", however, I really believe that River Valley will win at least one OVC game (more likely two). I think there will be 3 or 4 teams in the conference that will fall into the 2 to 3 OVC loss category and I'm predicting RV to finish in a tie at the bottom, but a big improvement over the recent history.

Good luck from Coal Grove.

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

Wow, to hear that cellar dweller comment and knowing the ineligible reciever thing happened really makes me wonder about some people. Work hard RV, get better, and in time show the OVC what Gallia Co football is all about. You are the same community that gave Logan fits year in and year out when a member of the SEOAL. There are no LHS competing in the OVC, never were and never will be. The coach at CG is a winner in a sense but a loser in the sense that "whatever it takes to win a hs football game" is part of his philosophy. I have a huge question for CG supporters, with the close geographical proximity of some very competitive schools that can garner many many computer points why not play them and take a chance at getting better as a team but also earn enough points so that in a good year your team makes the playoffs. i.e. Wheelersburg, Ironton, Portsmouth. Could be some rivalry games and can only make the season more fun and more rewarding. Those schools are not that much bigger than CG and bottom line is that only 11 play on the field so school size isn't that big of a deal unless you jump 3 divisions or something. How far is Ironton from CG??? 10 minutes by bicycle?? Good teams aren't affraid to get beat and the possibility, albeit slim, of winning outweighs the consequences of a loss.

Good luck RV. Work hard and play hard, get better, and give that OVC the fits that you guys are capable of.

Return to “Football”