Marietta - The next to leave the SEOAL ??

bcnu
Freshman Team

Marietta - The next to leave the SEOAL ??

Post by bcnu »

http://www.newsandsentinel.com/page/con ... l?nav=5075

Representatives of both Parkersburg South and Marietta attended a recent meeting where they were joined by those representing Brooke, John Marshall, Wheeling Park and Zanesville

schenk11
All Conference

Re: Marietta - The next to leave the SEOAL ??

Post by schenk11 »

Several teams are in the OVAC and others leagues at the same time such as Cambridge, Beallsville, Frontier etc.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

schenk11,

Are you saying that Marietta would want to play in the OVAC for football, but continue to play in the SEOAL in other sports? How serious is Marietta's interest in the OVAC?

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

02 -

As I understand, the OVAC is a very loosely affiliated league. If Marietta wanted to be a part of the SEOAL and OVAC, they would play the 6 or 7 SEOAL games, but the OVAC would help fill the remaining 3-4 games.

I believe the OVAC has all those schools and no divisional alignments, so they don't really have and set scheduling procedure.

I could be wrong, but that's the way I see it.

Makes sense for all those Eastern District schools. Marietta (and Warren), are really the outliers of this league at this point. I like them being a part of this league, they serve as great rivals for LHS, especially in the spring and all girls sports, but I understand them looking at other options. I have always felt that Marietta and Warren would both listen to offers if they could find a more suitable league affiliation.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Locos,

Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense to me as well.

positivecoach
Waterboy

Post by positivecoach »

the make up of the league turned unfavorable to the schools in Washington County when Athens and Zanesville left the league.

it makes sense to reconsider alternatives with the ever increasing costs of travel

go tigers

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Representatives of both Parkersburg South and Marietta attended a recent meeting where they were joined by those representing Brooke, John Marshall, Wheeling Park and Zanesville. The six schools are considering the possibility of playing each other in football on an annual basis.

"It would make it easier to get a football schedule,'' Leach said.

If the six schools play each other on an annual basis, that is six out of ten games, meaning Marietta would be out of the SEOAL and not just a SEOAL school affiliated with the OVC.

If Marietta leaves, Warren isn't too far behind.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:
Representatives of both Parkersburg South and Marietta attended a recent meeting where they were joined by those representing Brooke, John Marshall, Wheeling Park and Zanesville. The six schools are considering the possibility of playing each other in football on an annual basis.

"It would make it easier to get a football schedule,'' Leach said.

If the six schools play each other on an annual basis, that is six out of ten games, meaning Marietta would be out of the SEOAL and not just a SEOAL school affiliated with the OVC.

If Marietta leaves, Warren isn't too far behind.

There may be a lot of truth in that last line. Although I would prefer to see them both come into the TVC with another large school and totally revamp the TVC into 3 divisions.

Army
S

Post by Army »

If you all remember, ZaneVegas mentioned a league format like this that was trying to be put together by (Zanesville) with OVAC Teams and Marietta right after Zanesville let it be known, that they were leaving the SEOAL. :-D

He did say, that their new AD, who also is their basketball coach, was trying to put together a set of teams to play against each other in Football and Basketball. He mentioned the following OVAC teams:

1. Zanesville H.S. D2 (OVAC Member AAAA)
2. Steubenville H.S. D4 (OVAC Member AAAA)
3. Brooke H.S. Wellsburg, WV AAA (OVAC Member AAAA)
4. John Marshall H.S. Glendale, WV AAA (OVAC Member AAAA)
5. Wheeling Park H.S. Wheeling, WV AAA (OVAC Member AAAA)
6. Adding Marietta H.S. D2 Non-OVAC Member

Well, looks like Steubenville D4 is not in that mix, but Marietta D2 is, and also adding Parkersburg South, WV to that addition. :-D

2. Marietta H.S. D2 joining the OVAC would be (AAAA)
6. Parkersburg South H.S. Parkersburg, WV AAA joining the OVAC would be (AAAA)

Looks like Aronholt must of got them together, except Steubenville D4 from the OVAC. :-D

Looks like the Marietta Tigers D2 could be leaving the SEOAL. One cannot blame them though, especially with the gas prices we have today. Who knows?

I don't know where Vincent Warren Local D3 will go, if the TVC-Ohio doesn't offer them the 8th slot? I know the MVL has not yet?

Big changes could be coming for a host of leagues around the nation. I wonder if Ironton is still debating to go independent still, so they can play more teams close to them across the river, along with their games against The Burg and Portsmouth?

I think if there was a slot that opened in the MSL-Buckeye and Chillicothe was offered a position they would have to thank real hard about the travel and gas prices when looking at a decision like that one. :-D

I also could see the CAVS rethinking the SCOL offer due to travel and cost of travel in the future.

I could see a situation where the 5 SEOAL teams in the present (South Division) or at least some of them coming together and trying to persuade the likes of Waverly D4, Wheelersburg D5 and Portsmouth West D5 from the SOC II or a Rockhill D4 from the OVC to join them, possibly leaving Logan and Warren by themselves. Look for more to bolt their leagues and conferences around the state if Gas Prices continue to spike.

I don't blame Marietta if they bolt. Look how far they are out there on the SEOAL Map. Likewise, Vincent Warren Local too. I just don't know where they go if the TVC-Ohio doesn't offer a slot. :-D

Good Luck Tigers, what ever route your school takes :!:

Here are the OVAC Divisions presently:

Class A
Paden City (87)
Bishop Rosecrans (101)
Bishop Donahue (106)
Weirton Madonna (113)
St. John (120)
Conotton Valley (128)
Beallsville (134)
Bridgeport (179)
Valley (182)
Toronto (182)
Cameron (182)

Class AA
Shadyside (202)
Frontier (206)
Linsly (214)
Wellsville (229)
Steubenville Catholic Central (232)
Caldwell (248)
River (248)
Shenandoah (288)
Wheeling Central Catholic (294)
Monroe Central (303)
Buckeye Trail (307)
Fort Frye (308)

Class AAA
Barnesville (315)
Magnolia (344)
Bellaire (353)
Tyler Consolidated (354)
Union Local (384)
Martins Ferry (392)
St. Clairsville (412)
Meadowbrook (472)
Oak Glen (481)
Harrison Central (481)

Class AAAA
Indian Creek (535)
Steubenville (536)
Weir High (553)
Edison (562)
East Liverpool (588)
Buckeye Local (594)
Beaver Local (600)
Cambridge (639)
Zanesville (771)
Brooke High (872)
John Marshall (1029)
Wheeling Park (1321)

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

If Warren leaves the SEOAL, they are not going to the TVC. I know that for a fact.

Army.......Hope all is well your way. Your brother and I have talked quite a bit lately.

Army
S

Post by Army »

Keyser_soze78,

All is well. I talked to him tonight. I wonder where Warren will go? Is there a league close by for them to join? Has the MVL reconsidered them?

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

Not sure about reconsideration of the MVL, but I don't know of another league that size in that area that they would go to.

Army
S

Post by Army »

If Warren does leave the SEOAL, I hope the MVL offers them a slot.

Man, if Marietta and Warren both leave the SEOAL, that will leave a 6 team SEOAL. I wonder if Ironton is still considering leaving to become an independent again, or has this changed their minds? Logan would be the longest drive for most of the SEOAL teams. It would sure be a closer league to travel in, that's for sure. All the teams would have to add two more non-league games for Football, with 5 non-league and 5 league games. All schools would have 10 non-league games for basketball too.

If the SEOAL reverted to this size, it's still a strong league.

Chillicothe
Jackson
Portsmouth
Ironton
Gallipolis
Logan

A league like this for Football who would be the two top teams? I am guessing Parkersburg South being one. I don't know much about the other WV Schools.

I know Marietta already plays Parkersburg South and Zanesville, but do they have a history of playing against any of the other OVAC schools listed below in Football?

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

Seems like adding new teams to the league has opened doors for programs that have proven to have longevity in a very solid league. Hopefully this change doesn't happen. I don't really fear Ironton or Portsmouth leaving the league but it sure stinks to think that Athens left and now MHS and then WHS as well. The league with it's additions was too big but with ZHS and AHS leaving it is just the right size and hopefuly nobody else decides to bail out.

schenk11
All Conference

Post by schenk11 »

Marietta has played some of those other schools in short series, but does not have a history of playing them.

Army
S

Post by Army »

I believe Marietta and Zanesville in a league like that could be contenders for the Championship in Football on a steady basis. What would be the longest drives for Marietta against those WV Teams? Are the roads better to travel on to those schools?

I think it would be an awesome move for Marietta if they do jump and this league is close in. I think they would be very competitive in such a league.

Would there be a possible slot for a Vincent Warren Local D3 in such a League too? Would they be open to joining the OVAC? The talk of Marietta leaving, and if that takes place, Warren will most likely too? I hate to see these two schools leaving. They have been in the SEOAL since 1985 and 1986? I know the TVC-Ohio would be a good fit for the Warriors, but doubt most of the schools will vote to let Warren back in. The MVL hasn't offered the Warriors a slot. So there is really no place to go, except Independent.

I don't know how Warren would compete in Football in such a OVAC format above, but in other sports, they most likely could compete against those WV Teams along with Zanesville and Marietta.

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Post by warrnwarriorfan »

Gas prices really are going to have an impact on athletics. Sigh.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU INVITE THE REAL BEASTS OF THE SOUTHEAST BACK INTO THE SEOAL. ----------------------------------- THE IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS ARE BACK IN A BIG WAY NOW, AFTER A COUPLE YEARS OF MEDIOCRE FOOTBALL. THEY ARE BUILT NOW FOR THE LONG HAUL. NOBODY WANTS TO DEAL WITH THAT YEAR IN , AND YEAR OUT. :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Post by warrnwarriorfan »

You mean the cost of gas has increased to $4.00 a gallon because Ironton is back in the SEOAL?! I've been wondering what the heck the real reason was. Boy, will CNN want to talk to YOU!

Army
S

Post by Army »

If Marietta and Warren both exit, I would not blame them. The cost of travel will be involved in several decisions throughout the country concerning H.S. Athletics.

If they both add to the departures inside the SEOAL, I think an SEOAL with 6 teams will hold. Unless, there was some deal between the present SEOAL South Division Schools adding three from the SOC II, i.e., Waverly, Wheelersburg and Portsmouth West, thus saying goodbye to Logan due to the cost of travel? I believe the SEOAL with a 6 team format will still be very strong league. I could not see an Ironton dominating in football in the SEOAL anymore either, like suggested above. :lol:

The league would become closer, concerning travel, that's for sure. Only Logan would be the longest trip for most of the teams. Chillicothe's longest drive would be either to Gallipolis or Ironton. Not far drives at all, in comparison to Marietta or Zanesville. I like the idea of getting to play 5 non-league games too. We did that in the OCC format when we where in the OCC with only 6 teams in each of the divisions back then. Especially with our non-league schedule dropping Brookhaven and Big Walnut. When we were in the OCC, our 5 non-league games used to open up with Columbus South and then play a Circleville or Springfield area team. Then we would play a Columbus West or East and follow that with a Cincinnati or Dayton team closing the non-league schedule as always with our old rival from the river, the Portsmouth Trojans who we have played against, off and on since 1898.

In the next few years our CAVS have Columbus Hamilton TWP, Wilmington and Zanesville on our non-league schedule. If we go to 6 teams in the SEOAL, then maybe we can now pick up Circleville or Columbus South back on the non-league schedule. :-D

And, possibly add a Waverly or Greenfield McClain to the non-league schedule too.

I do think Marietta in a league format like the one mentioned of them leaving for, would be a league they could compete in, especially in football. :-D

I still don't know where a Warren Local would go if the TVC-Ohio and MVL said no? Which most likely would be the answer. At least for the moment. I am still waiting to see what Ironton does after this football season? Will they stay or opt to go back independent? There are several down on the river who still de-test the decision to re-enter the SEOAL a third time for the Fighting Tigers. As for the notion that Portsmouth wants to leave. I thought Portsmouth liked the SEOAL? As Trojan Dave said, they were not going nowhere, unless the SOC II came calling, and who could blame them then.

I do suspect, every team in the SEOAL will begin to view their options as several more may boot the league for greener pastures due to the present and ever rising gas prices. I would like to think Chillicothe's School Athletic Program, AD and Super will rethink and review the SCOL who has only 7 teams at the present if more boot the SEOAL than expected, past a Marietta and Warren possibility.

Just to have an alternate back-up plan in case the SEOAL would reduce in size to only a few teams wouldn't be a bad idea to have in their back pocket, at least for the moment :-D

Or, at least seriously think of getting together with some of the present SEOAL South-Division Teams and some of the SOC II schools like Waverly, Wheelersburg and Portsmouth West and talk a real re-alignment in having an alternate plan by possibly forming a true SE-Ohio League south of Rt. 33 :!: :-D

One that is close in travel and one that would be there for the long-haul.

I could see a SE-Ohio League with:

Chillicothe D3
Waverly D4
Portsmouth D4
Portsmouth West D5-or-Rockhill D4
Wheelersburg D5
Ironton D4
Gallipolis D4
Jackson D2

Technically, all the 5 SEOAL-South Division Teams would have to do is entice Waverly to come back in the SEOAL or add (a Waverly and Burg package) and there is a real close in travel SE-Ohio league. :-D

I know the Purple SEOAL Team in the North would get their feelings hurt, but I assume they would understand due to the cost of travel and seek pastures in their Columbus area. :-D

And if a situation did have to take place like the one mentioned, where a new league in SE-Ohio was formed and some SEOAL Teams balked because of traditional ties

I guess they might be able to play in a 2-3 league member team format? :-D

Like an SEOAL with:
Jackson D2
Gallipolis D4
Logan D2

Then seeing a possible new SE-Ohio League formed with teams from a pool of leagues and conferences locally:
Hillsboro D3
Greenfield McCLain D3
Chillicothe D3
McArthur Vinton County D3-or-Portsmouth West D5
Waverly D4
Portsmouth D4
Wheelersburg D5
Ironton D4

Who knows what the future brings?

With all the speculation who really knows what SEOAL Teams will be in the league and truly, what the SEOAL will have in 5 years.

Only time will tell? :-D
Last edited by Army on Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Football”