Lutz 5 wins from career wins leader Malone

ItownBrowns
Freshman Team

Lutz 5 wins from career wins leader Malone

Post by ItownBrowns »

Coach Lutz is only 6 wins away from capturing the career wins leader in Ohio Terry Malone who coached at Hamilton Badin. While I'm sure if coach Lutz knew I was broadcasting this he would make me do grass drills till I passed out, it is quite a feat. Lutz does'nt really believe in personnal accolades but this one is special. If you asked coach about the record he would probably say something like " just means I've been coaching a long time and had alot of good players". He will always deflect the accolades back to his teams. But in those words is exactly why this record is so special. Its not just about one mans career victories. Its about a community that has been able to sustain that tradition of winning for 35+ years.
If Ironton were to win their games consecutively, Lutz would break the record at Jackson. One loss in the first six games could allow for a potential record breaking win against Chillicothe at Ironton. I am in no way predicting a perfect run through the season, merely giving viewers an idea of when this may happen. I do hope though that something special might be planned for the event, it is something that will probably only happen once around here anytime soon. At least in most of our lifetimes.

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Re: Lutz 5 wins from career wins leader Malone

Post by RiverRatRay »

I was thinking it was more like 16 wins away but then I could be wrong.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Yeah I thought it would take him at least 2 seasons to get it and thats going undeafeated.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

1...Terry Malone...Hmilton Badin...360-117-8...Retired
2...Bob Lutz........Ironton Tigers...346-78-5....Active

Bob Lutz needs 15 wins to become Ohio's all time winningest coach.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

http://www.irontonfootball.com/history2 ... ecords.htm does correctly list the numbers for all the coaches there. It should have read though that Coach Lutz has 346 wins at the end of the 2007 season but it read at the end of the '06 season. I have corrected that now.

As far as the other coaches, I'm as positive as one can be that their numbers are correct. I did not lift them from another collective source but rather, researched the other coaches. I found news articles where they were being honored as they retired and it listed their career numbers. The only regret I have is that I didn't keep and publish those articles on Ironton Football Dot Com as well as the numbers.

I have also recounted Coach Lutz's wins too to make sure the 346 number is right. The only way that those could be off is if I was given bad info on his earlier career wins.

So, it's 14 to tie, 15 to take it all. While it's a long shot, I fully believe that Ironton can get those 15 this year!

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I can also tell by watching the number of visitor's swelling at Irontonfootball.com that many of the guys are starting to think about football. IrontonFootball.Com where it's football all year long!

Derf_W
Riding the Bench

Post by Derf_W »

Bob's the man!!!

someoverkill
JV Team

Post by someoverkill »

irontonfootball.com is a great site. Thanks for the ongoing information. The kids are profiled and that is a great thing! I fully expect Coach Lutz to break the record in the 2009 football season, but as Kantucky II said, it may happen this season with a perfect season. Wow! Would that be something else to get the record and a third title. :122246

ItownBrowns
Freshman Team

Post by ItownBrowns »

you all are right my bad, got my info from the ohsaa site and it has'nt been updated in years. Thanks for getting it straight. That will give the Tiger faithfull more time to prepare and enjoy. He could conceivably beat the record this year, how about breaking it at the state finals. That would be something.

Gray Fighting Tiger
Varsity

Post by Gray Fighting Tiger »

Make no mistake, I'd like to see him break it this season as much as anybody; but 15 wins exceeds even my wildest hopes for the 2008 season.

It would, however, alleviate at least some of the sting from the 1999 final (and the 1993 final and the 1988 final and the 1985 semi-final and you get the idea). :)

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

What would be awesome too is if Gray Fighting Tigers would finish those stats he promised me a year or so ago... :shock: :lol:

Gray Fighting Tiger
Varsity

You mean the stuff I sent you last September? :lol: :lol:

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

That was last September, what have you done for us lately? think...what were you goin' to do? ;-)

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

this will be an amazing feat when accomplished. i think the fighting tigers can be state title material this year in d4. they as always have a schedule unmatched by any team , their size around here. but it will definately get them playoff ready, esp. if every body stays healthy. i'd love to see it done in 08. we are lloooaaddeedd.

WHATCHAGONNADO WHEN BOBAMANIA RUNS WILD ON YOU, BROTHER. :aaaaa12 :aaaaa12 :aaaaa12 :aaaaa12 :aaaaa12 :aaaaa12 :aaaaa12 :aaaaa12

Gray Fighting Tiger
Varsity

kantuckyII wrote:That was last September, what have you done for us lately? think...what were you goin' to do? ;-)
:? Jog my memory.

da_other_c_miller21
Waterboy

Post by da_other_c_miller21 »

well me being a player I can say by the time I graduate in 2010 he will have that record broken! :mrgreen:

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Coach Bob Lutz has only 292 wins as an Ohio coach. Where did he coach before?

With 292 Ohio wins he has about ten coaches ahead of him.

Ironton has the longest unbeat streak in Ohio being 55-0-3 through 1977/83

henrysteele
JV Team

Post by henrysteele »

Bob Lutz coached at Ironton St. Joe which played in the OVC.

FYI:

Coach Bob Lutz faced Coach Terry Malone twice in the playoffs on neutral fields. Those are the only two times the schools have played each other. Those victorious Fighting Tiger squads would go on to win state titles (1979 and 1989).

Gray Fighting Tiger
Varsity

noreply66 wrote:...Ironton has the longest unbeat streak in Ohio being 55-0-3 through 1977/83
Not exactly (did you get that from the OHSAA web site?) It actually started in 1977 and ended in 1984 and it's not 55-0-3

Ironton's regular season unbeaten streak was 64 games (61-0-3). It is no longer a record, having been surpassed by Cincinnati Moeller within a few weeks after it ended in 1984; and I'm fairly sure more recently, not sure which team did it but possibly one of the MAC schools such as St. Henry or Marion Local.

The streak was ended by Portsmouth ( :mad: ) and that loss left Bob Lutz's record at Ironton at an amazing 112-11-4 (source for that last stat is a column by Dave Wellman in the Huntington Herald-Dispatch on Sept. 17, 1984)

Gray Fighting Tiger
Varsity

noreply66 wrote:Coach Bob Lutz has only 292 wins as an Ohio coach. Where did he coach before?...
I'm sure he has over 300 wins at Ironton; I think it's about 326.

Return to “Football”