best back at wellston ever

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

best back at wellston ever

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

i have only been watching wellston since the brad young days is he the best ever or who was some good 1's from before my time..

JohnKnight
Varsity

Re: best back at wellston ever

Post by JohnKnight »

Curtiss Jayjohn

@nd_1
Freshman Team

Post by @nd_1 »

In the past 10 years Wellston has had arguably some of the best backfields around. They have had both Brennan boys, Chris Hutchison, Brad Young, Thomas Mayes, and Rex Harold. But I agree, Brad Young is the best I have ever seen.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

I would have to say Jerry Patton :idea:

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Wellston had a running back in the 60s (name slips my mind) I think he was into power lifting too.

I can remember him being pretty good and also played some good baseball.

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

No reply,

You are speaking of Roger Estepp. Roger has since passd away. he gradualted in 1967. I have some names to add to the Rocket list just giving the home town guys a chance.

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

I forgot about hutch he was another awsome playe. and yes thomas mayes and herrold was good wellston always pushes good backs ewing and baldwin was a dang good backfield both big boys. but still has to say it go's to young

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

The best just running back ever was Brad Young. The best running back and defensive player ever was Thomas Mayes

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

This thread is about running backs, but I agree that Thomas Mayes is the best Football player to ever play at Wellston .

Another great back in the 60's was Terry Ervin ,I beleive he went to OSU.Lots of good backs in the 50's too, Wellston was a powerhouse in that decade.

I still say Jerry Patton , he was a beast. He also had to share the carries with another great back in Curtis Jayjohn.

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

Now we are finally getting to Wellston's best backs.

Terry Ervin has to be mentioned as boiler did. Terry was full back for Wellston. Read about the position in history books since it does not exist any longer. He was recruited and was signed by W.W. Hayes to play for the Ohio State Buckeyes.

Another back that deserves mention is Frankie Hill. i guess now we will see if any really old Wellson posters are on this board. he played in the 50's on some great teams.

And no list of great Wellston Backs would be complete without mentioning Jimmy Evans.

And in the 20's Wellson had a great back named John Waugh.

Except for the last back just find Bob Willis in Jackson and he can name any back who proudly carried the pig skin for the Rockets.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Some of the best in the 1940s and 50s were Graham Thompson and Jackie Eanes, Buddy Jayjohn, Ronnie Potts and a younger Potts, and a QB who guided the Rockets to the1951 SEOAL title and a perfect 10-0 mark, Gary Bowers or Collins, I think.

Army
S

Post by Army »

wellstonrockets,

Being a Wellston Alum, I don't know if I can apply the best back ever, but Wellston has had some key ones. I do remember Cool Curt Jayjohn as a kid, he was a up and coming player and JD Patton who went to school with my younger brother.

The Compston's and the Potts had so many brothers playing on the Golden Rockets that the team was made up of several starters from these two familes alone, from the 1940's to the early 1960's. :-D

In the early 60's when the last of them were graduating, the announcer made it known stating Wellston would have to wait and see if their children would follow them on the Golden Rocket journey. :-D

1940, 1941, 1942 seasons....Jim Compston HB.

1943, 1944 seasons...Bob Compston TE and HB.

1944, 1945, 1946 seasons Bill Compston FB.

1948, 1949 and 1950 seasons Crazy Legs John Compston FB.

1953, 1954, 1955 and 1956 seasons...Jerry Compston DE and HB in early years.

1954, 1955, 1956 and 1957 seasons.(Tomcat)...Tom Compston, End, DE, HB in early years.

(Also Tomcat was a standout in B-Ball for Wellston).

1956, 1957, 1958, 1959 seasons...Earl Compston, End, DE and HB in early years.

1959, 1960, 1961 seasons Dan Collins HB.

1963, 1964 Roberts FB.

1966, 1967 seasons Terry Brennan HB.

1970, 1971 seasons Scott Davis, a West Point Graduate and distant realitive, who later switched to become a Chaplain in the U.S. Army.

Chaplain(Colonel) Scott Davis.. and Alan Jarvis HB.

These two played for Coach Conger.

1970, 1971 seasons...Max Compston Flanker Back, SE.

1971, 1972 seasons Dixon HB and Martin FB.

1972, 1973 seasons Tony Hutchinson and Dick Gilliand HB...(A CAV Fan Now)

I will add Doug Manyard who came in at FB at times too. He played Center. And also was the punter. Old Charlie Arnold came in and platooned at HB at times too. He scored the extra point that tied Jackson 8-8 at Jackson in 1973. :-D

1973-1974 seasons Keith Henry FB.

1974, 1975 seasons Randy Peoples, Pete Ruppert and Mike Watts. HB.

1975, 1976 seasons Tony Grey FB.

Go Golden Rockets :!: :-D
Last edited by Army on Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:01 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Army
S

Post by Army »

Jottings wrote:Some of the best in the 1940s and 50s were Graham Thompson and Jackie Eanes, Buddy Jayjohn, Ronnie Potts and a younger Potts, and a QB who guided the Rockets to the1951 SEOAL title and a perfect 10-0 mark, Gary Bowers or Collins, I think.

Jottings,

I believe it was Sach Collins :!: :-D

His son Doug, QB'd the Golden Rockets in the 1973 and 1974 football seasons.

He was the QB on my Dad's little league team (Ralston Purina) back in the 60's. Doug shared duties in 1974 with Randy Peoples and Pete Ruppert at times during some games.

I'll ask my Dad. :-D

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Lots of Compstons

MuletownManiac
JV Team

Post by MuletownManiac »

Brad Young

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Brad Young was clearly the fastest ever,but Jerry Patton was the best runner that I have seen.Not old enough to have watched the Frank Hills, Terry Ervins and all the others that have run for the Rockets.

Army
S

Post by Army »

noreply66 wrote:Lots of Compstons

Yep, There were 7 brothers and some cousins not mentioned and some sons that played later. :-D

The Potts I believe had 9 in their family. Not to include realitives and sons who played later. :-D

coachperWHS
Riding the Bench

Post by coachperWHS »

It is good to see mention of several of these great athletes.

I wanted to add some names that have not been mentioned that were very talented ball players:

Steve Jeffers played halfback and was a good runner, an excellent receiver, and an awesome defender. He went on to play for Bo Schembechler at Miami and had an outstanding career there.

Mike Massie played some fullback and was a very good player also. He was a very good blocker and ran the ball well.
He went on to Denison and had an excellent college career. He was their defensive player of the year two yers running I believe.

Butch Staten was a smal, but tough-as-nails fullback who played in the early sixties.

Mike Murdock was a very decent halfback in the mid-sixties. He ran the ball exceptionally well.

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

Ahhh, coach per,

How could i forget Butch Staten? kudos for mentioning him.

I believe if more of these younger posters had seen jeffers play defense not so many would mention Thomas Mayes on defense. Jeffers was definitely one of the best athlets ever at WHS.

Jeffers would have been a better receiver if he had a quality qb.

Army
S

Post by Army »

What, no love for Rick :?: :-D

Return to “Football”