West 2008 D5 State champions

falconflyer
Freshman Team

West 2008 D5 State champions

Post by falconflyer »

Will West win the D5 state championship? If as good as their posters say, they have no weaknesses, great coaching and an abundance of talent. Isn't that a recipe for a state title run?

hawkeyepierce
S

Re: West 2008 D5 State champions

Post by hawkeyepierce »

All you have gone and done is jinxed it. :-D Wwwaaaaaayyyyyyyyy to early to be talking about this.

earp
S

Post by earp »

I am sure one of the MAC schools will have something to say about that! 8)

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

As much as I can taste falconflyers sarcasm, I am going to say they might have a shot. Good Coaches, good talent, great community support, if they can stay dicipline we might see a run similar to the one they had back in....02?

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

chicken_coop wrote:As much as I can taste falconflyers sarcasm, I am going to say they might have a shot. Good Coaches, good talent, great community support, if they can stay dicipline we might see a run similar to the one they had back in....02?

And we all remember how they showed their true colors in that title game with cheap hits and ejections.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

Ouch. Isn't that a bit of a cheapshot in itself?

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

No, just the Gods honest truth. Anyone that watched that title game agaisnt Kenton knows what I mean. West showed their true colors that day. Hopefully things have changed and there is some kind of discipline there now.

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:
chicken_coop wrote:As much as I can taste falconflyers sarcasm, I am going to say they might have a shot. Good Coaches, good talent, great community support, if they can stay dicipline we might see a run similar to the one they had back in....02?

And we all remember how they showed their true colors in that title
game with cheap hits and ejections.

do what ya gotta do to win!!!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

They didn't win though.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

If you don't win your conference can you still be state champs ? MD

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

ManitouDan wrote:If you don't win your conference can you still be state champs ? MD

Some teams aren't even in a conference. Guess they have no chance. :-D

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

I'll clarify ---those teams may , West does not. ;-) MD

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:No, just the Gods honest truth. Anyone that watched that title game agaisnt Kenton knows what I mean. West showed their true colors that day. Hopefully things have changed and there is some kind of discipline there now.

They had some serious cheap shots on Minford last year too in the final quarter when desperation started setting in.

A couple of them could have seriously injured someone. Suprised that the West coach didnt put them on the bench the rest of the game, as one kid threw several cheap shots and stayed in.

Very sad.

Now I am not saying that other schools dont do things they shouldnt, but I distictively remember leaving West Portsmouth field in 1990 and we had to keep our helmets on and put our heads between the seats as we left the field on the bus due to people from West throwing stuff at the bus (they got beat that night).

West has this trademark, they need to clean up their image a little bit. The have some great kids on their team, but a few bad apples always spoil the bunch.

MuletownManiac
JV Team

Post by MuletownManiac »

Bleeding Red we played there in the late 90's early 2000's and I remember the same thing happening to us. We had to keep our helmets on, and keep our heads facing the front of the bus, as there were grown men and women "mooning" us on our way out of their facility(They got beat that night too). Hopefully the new coaching staff can change this behavior.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

That was not the topic. If you guys want to start a topic about "does west cheapshot" then so be it.

SSU Grad
Riding the Bench

Post by SSU Grad »

Minford beat West in 1990? ,this is news to me. I must be getting old because my memory said that West went 10-1 that year, only losing to I-town in the playoffs. Gets your facts straight, only then will your trash talking post be credible.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

I believe he means 1991. Wasn't Tim Martin the the stud for Minford?

About the discipline. All I know is coach demands it and gets it.

All I know is West is very talented. They need to take one game at a time, don't have letdowns, and keep getting better. If they do this, they will go into week 10 unscathed and ready to battle Burg for the title.

My predictions for the SOC II are:
West 5-0
Burg 4-1
Waverly 3-2
Minford 2-3
Valley 1-4
Northwest 0-5

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

west89 wrote:In 2002 WEST sure showed their true colors. They made it to the state championship. Something Burg hasn't done for awhile. Try not to hate. I know for some Burg fans thats hard to do. BY THE WAY KENTON HAD JUST AS MUCH PENALTIES AS WE DID. Check the stats

What an assinine statement. Yeah Burg hasn't been there since 1989 and have only made one trip to the finals, just like West. At least the Burg did win their one and only trip there and claim the state title and they did it with class, something West has never had. You can bet you a$$ that if the Burg had lost that title game they would took it like men and shook the hands of their opponents after the defeat and congratulated them on a game well played. They definitely wouldn't have did what West did in the second half of their title game because for one Ed Miller wouldn't have stood for it.

As for the penalties in the Kenton game, they may have just as many as West but they didn't become the laughing stock of the state by showing no respect for their opponent and only trying to hurt players after the game was clearly out of their reach. Just how many unsportsmanlike penalties did West have that game? Quite a few if I remember correctly and most of them for late hits.

Like I said, that was in the past and hopefully Triplett won't put up with it and bench the ones that can't or won't comply with his discipline.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

siderman wrote:I believe he means 1991. Wasn't Tim Martin the the stud for Minford?

About the discipline. All I know is coach demands it and gets it.

All I know is West is very talented. They need to take one game at a time, don't have letdowns, and keep getting better. If they do this, they will go into week 10 unscathed and ready to battle Burg for the title.

My predictions for the SOC II are:
West 5-0
Burg 4-1
Waverly 3-2
Minford 2-3
Valley 1-4
Northwest 0-5

Yes it was '91....my bad. All I remember is how the West fans acted after the game. Grown men and women throwing rocks and any other debris they could get their hands on at the school buses.

It isnt about the coach getting respect, its about the West fans acting like civilized people after the game and realizing that it is a HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL game for crying out loud. Good thing they are playing at Minford this year!

As for your predictions, I wouldnt expect Minford to not finish at least 4-1. I honestly dont think West is getting past Minford and Burg, and they will have their hands full with Waverly.

Return to “Football”