Congrats to Coach Woodward!!

friday_nite_fan
Varsity

Congrats to Coach Woodward!!

Post by friday_nite_fan »

Congrats to Coach Woodward, a fellow Gallia County boy, for getting his first victory as a head coach. A true class act that Wheelersburg faithful should be grateful to have. Again, congratulations Rob on win number 1 and hopefully many, many more to come.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Re: Congrats to Coach Woodward!!

Post by biggdowgg »

congrats,and a big win it was.

how many first year coaches has Lutz lost to?

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

biggdowgg wrote:congrats,and a big win it was.

Doggie, I think it was 3, Knute Rockne, and I cant recall the other 2............. :roll: :roll:

someoverkill
JV Team

Post by someoverkill »

few years back Lutz may have lost to Jackson's new coach. Maybe someone from Jackson could comment on that.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

TigerTownTurkey wrote:
biggdowgg wrote:congrats,and a big win it was.

Doggie, I think it was 3, Knute Rockne, and I cant recall the other 2............. :roll: :roll:

probably , cause you have that old timers :roll:

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

someoverkill wrote:few years back Lutz may have lost to Jackson's new coach. Maybe someone from Jackson could comment on that.

Lutz's only loss to Jackson was in 2005.......who was Jackson's coach and was it his first year........ :?:

Bob's first year at Ironton was 1972............

Ironton leads series 31-4-6
Years Winner Score
1910 Jackson 11 0
1912 Tie 6 6
1912 Ironton 19 0
1913 Ironton 68 0
1916 Ironton 28 0
1921 Tie (H) 7 7
1922 Ironton (H) 20 0
1923 Ironton (H) 12 9
1925 Ironton (H) 35 0
1926 Ironton (A) 19 13
1927 Tie (H) 0 0
1928 Ironton (A) 25 0
1929 Tie (H) 0 0
1933 Ironton (H) 25 0
1934 Tie (A) 7 7
1935 Ironton (H) 46 0
1936 Ironton (A) 13 0
1968 Jackson (A) 29 20
1969 Jackson (H) 24 19
1970 Ironton (A) 20 18
1971 Ironton (H) 29 3
1972 Ironton (A) 28 6
1973 Ironton (H) 28 14
1974 Ironton (A) 12 6
1975 Ironton (H) 18 16
1976 Ironton (A) 32 21
1977 Ironton (H) 28 0
1978 Ironton (A) 41 8
1979 Ironton (H) 7 0
1980 Tie (A) 7 7
1981 Ironton (H) 62 14
1982 Ironton (A) 28 0
1983 Ironton (H) 28 7
1984 Ironton (A) 35 0
1985 Ironton (H) 53 0
1987 Ironton (H) 35 0
1988 Ironton (A) 57 14
1995 Ironton (H) 42 21
2005 Jackson (A) 7 17
2006 Ironton (H) 48 20
2007 Ironton (A) (Tigers 600th All Time Win) (OT) 20 14

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Now that's impressive. Lutz has only lost to Jackson once since 1972 and has one tie. Talk about domination.

Congrats to Coach Woodward on getting the Ironton monkey off his back on his first attempt. Great job by the coaching staff and the boys.

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

Remains to be seen if Rob can get more kids in the lower programs. heard the frosh team is lacking. Hopefully its just a new coach jitter that the kids dont want to go out. I would tell them look at last friday!! And buy them some candy bars or something!!! :lol:

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

gahs4ever wrote:By all means congratulations to Coach Woodward! This opportunity couldnt happen to a classier individual, and one who has paid his dues coming through the ranks while still a very young man. Wheelersburg is one of the top programs in SE Ohio, and I believe you Pirate fans will soon be glad you have him leading your young men!

Burg fans knew going in that Coach Woodward was the right choice for the job. So far nothing but good things to say from the players and fans. He has the right makeup for a good one. Very positive attitude and a great relationship with his players. It was evident last friday. Burg was down after Ironton took the lead. You could see it in their faces after the long PR before the go ahead TD. But Coach Woodward and his seniors picked this teams butts up off the turf and believed in themselves. This team would have walked through a wall last friday for him. Awesome to see and experience.

Heres to a highly successful season for Coach Woodward and the Burg team.
Last edited by BULDOG on Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

demaniac1 wrote:Remains to be seen if Rob can get more kids in the lower programs. heard the frosh team is lacking. Hopefully its just a new coach jitter that the kids dont want to go out. I would tell them look at last friday!! And buy them some candy bars or something!!! :lol:

From everything I have been hearing maybe we can blame this on the previous coach.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

I think another first yr burg coach won at the tank in the late 90's.

burggrad_2000
Riding the Bench

Post by burggrad_2000 »

Great Job Rob!

First year and you beat Ironton!

Great Job Friday "picking" up the boys when the Tigers look the lead. We never got down...

Good luck the rest of the season!

We are...The BURG!!

outofbounds
Waterboy

Post by outofbounds »

Congrats to Rob. Being on the outside looking at the program and watching last weeks game, I have seen nothing but positives coming from the kids and the community. I have said the last 3 years that this man deserved a chance to be the head coach of the Pirates and now he is showing the community why. The kids believe in him and he believes in the kids. He played alot of kids last week and that only keeps them interested and involved. When the kids realize there is a chance to play if they put in the effort and time they will only get better which will makes the team better overall. Good luck the rest of the season and for many more seasons to come.

volsfan
Freshman Team

Post by volsfan »

Congratulations to Coach Woodward from the White's. Brandon still stays in touch with him and respects him as a person and a coach. That is what a coach should want from all of his players that they leave school and still remember what that coach instilled in them, and Coach Woodward does that as a teacher and a coach. Bryan loved him as an asst coach and now as his head coach. As a parent, couldn't ask for anything more from a coach than that. Best of luck in the rest of his season.

Buckeye-4-Life
JV Team

Post by Buckeye-4-Life »

Volsfan, I am editing this because I was wrong and this is about the job Coach Woodward is doing.
Last edited by Buckeye-4-Life on Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

1fan1
Riding the Bench

Post by 1fan1 »

Last year's team (most of them that played a lot) loved Coach Woodward and their head coach, Coach Lewis, too. They would walk through the wall for him, and nearly did in that last game of the playoffs at the regionals. They left it all on the field in an amazing comeback OT loss. All of the coaches and kids were left speechless and in tears.
I think it is unfair to "blame him" if players THIS year don't want to play in the ninth grade. After all, Lewis said his heartfelt goodbyes way back in March. Kids knew that. I think it is disrespectful to him and the great job he did while he was here to try to say he has anything to do with THIS year's ninth grade. There are many factors unknown about that. Maybe, the class is small? They don't like to play football? They play soccer? They are busy playing fall baseball? They had bad experiences in Pee Wee or junior high? All of those factors could be why the numbers are down. Who knows?
Low numbers for one year at the Burgwon't make a bit of difference, b/c Burg has a PROGRAM. Look at the low numbers from this year's senior class contributors for the past three or so years, in a lot of sports, and it doesn't really matter when you combine three years of players to make one varsity/ jv team for football. Quality, not quantity matters. The numbers will pick up just fine. No need to bash someone who moved on up about that! (Unless, of course, someone's son just didn't get playing time for the old coach :-D that'll bring out the bashers every time! ) The state champs in Indiana didn't see it that way.... They were very happy to have Coach Lewis.... Very impressed with what they saw. I think it would be best to bury resentments and give coaches (all of them) their just credit. Congrats, Coach Woodward! Great Job! Your mentor, Coach Lewis, is probably very proud and happy for you!

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

oby1conoby wrote:Volsfan, would you have the same opinion of your new head coach if your boy was playing guard instead of part time fullback??

I hope you can say that to volsfan's face yourself without hiding behind this post. We are talking about young men here. :(

Also Burg's Frosh class has been low in numbers since pee-wee. They just dont have that many boys in that class.

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

oby1conoby wrote:Volsfan, would you have the same opinion of your new head coach if your boy was playing guard instead of part time fullback??

I really dont think you should be messing with him...trust me...take it from someone who knows him and his family. Even if Bryan was playin gaurd he would be the hardest working lineman out there and Im sure he would not take kindly to the way you are speaking to his parent.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Isn't he a fulltime fullback?

skypup
Waterboy

Post by skypup »

Mighty impressive win for Coach Woodward. Hope the Burg has many more wins under him. He sounds like a class act guy.
Going to a football game down here in Georgia tonight. My girlfriend's daughter is a student at Emanuel County Institute. They were 2007 Class A state champions. Many returning players, so I will get to see a good program from the get go.
Good luck to all SE Ohio schools tonight.

Return to “Football”