Northwest football coach

Blue08
Waterboy

Northwest football coach

Post by Blue08 »

Any news on who is going to be the next football coach at Northwest High School. Saw it was posted in the paper today.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Re: Northwest football coach

Post by BigBlueNation »

I'm not saying any names yet, but what I'm hearing could be a very good move for Mohawks.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Any news on who is taking the helm for the Mohawks?

Blue08
Waterboy

Post by Blue08 »

Have not heard any names the deadline for applications is Friday at noon? Anyone have information on who has or is applying?

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

I heard they had several apply.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

WELL GOOD LUCK IN MOHAWK LAND ANYWAY. I HOPE YA'LL GET A SWELL COACH.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

:ugeek: McDermott Northwest deserve a break from the football deities. May they choose a coach who can produce a respected program and achieve harmony with school admin, parents, and the community.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

sounds to me as an outsider that maybe the parents are the problem if they get too involved. you need a coach like bob lutz who wasn't influenced by anyone. and if you can play you did.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:sounds to me as an outsider that maybe the parents are the problem if they get too involved. you need a coach like bob lutz who wasn't influenced by anyone. and if you can play you did.
The Mohawk program has experienced almost 60 years of strife. Small town egos and power cliques would not allow a Lutz type coach to survive or even be hired.

Blue33
Freshman Team

Post by Blue33 »

In my opinion only I feel that Northwest should find another conference by way of being voted out. They should not have been moved to SOC1 with the enrollment that they have. All that happened was that the buck was passed. Some local conference teams would still schedule them as a non conference game but they need to go elsewhere. I know this sounds harsh and I don't like it for the kids but Northwest is setup to fail every year. You play small schools all year and then what happens if you do make it to the post season?

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

One thing alot of people don't realize is Northwest is the second largest school district in the state of Ohio. Alot of kids live quite a ways away from the school, some kids parents are not able or can't afford making several trips back and forth to the school. Same goes with the kids at West.
There is 616 square miles in Scioto county and Northwest and West's school district takes up I believe 298 square miles of that, almost half.
Burg and Valley has been the top dogs in Soc2 for awhile and have very small districts. You can add the size of those two districts together and they don't make up a quarter of the size of Nortwest's. IMO I believe that has to contribute some to their success.
I know its not right for the Mohawks to be in Soc 1 but it has made a big difference. The only thing about the success they have had in Soc 1 it gives a false positive in my opinion.
There is alot of good classes coming up, with kids and parents that are willing to make the sacrifices.
If the right coach is hired and the kids and parents make those sacrifices I can see success coming to the Mohawks in the future. Even with a tougher schedule.

Winchell
JV Team

Post by Winchell »

;)
Last edited by Winchell on Thu May 19, 2016 8:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Nothing wrong with Northwest scheduling "down" in an effort to not only build a program, but to build confidence and community support for the student athletes. When the Mohawks went to the SOC 1, they had only won a couple of league games in a decade and in my opinion the football program was in real danger of being abandoned. I doubt Northwest will ever compete with the Burg or even sniff a playoff berth, but their kids deserve the opportunity to compete at the level the district is willing to support, Winning games over D6 and D7 schools is a false positive for a school the size of Northwest, but I argue that is better than not having a program in the first place.

Blue08
Waterboy

Post by Blue08 »

Every school in the SOC 1 has a winning record against Northwest in the past decade. Most of these games have been competitive the past two years with the exemption of Green. I believe that this was and still is the right move for Northwest. There was a vote to move them down and the only school that did not want to allow them to move down and that was a SOC 2. Every SOC 1 team thought the move was good for them and Northwest. Northwest can be competitive down.

Blue33
Freshman Team

Post by Blue33 »

You are right. SOC1 schools do want them. More points for the smaller schools. The point is that doesn't help Northwest which is the topic. I don't buy into the large area thing so much. Just about everybody has a car in the age we live in. I have talked with several outstanding coaches over different periods that went to Northwest, and they have all hinted at or plainly said the reason they left or were ran off. It isn't the lack of talent or numbers, it's the system itself. Ask yourself Why does Wheelersburg win every year? Even on their so called down years? It is the program. You have to live for the future and not the right now. A program takes years to build not a year. It starts at the pee wee level all the way up. And most importantly it starts with the entire community being involved in a positive way. I for one would rather see them take their lumps in 2 play until the adults figure it out instead of playing teams like Green.

Blue08
Waterboy

Post by Blue08 »

Northwest's football history speaks for itself vs SOC 1 and 2. From 1960-2013 Northwest went 163-358-2 overall that is roughly 3 wins per season. From 1980 when the SOC was split into two divisions to 2013 when Northwest was moved down from 2 to 1, Northwest won 10 games and lost 129 games in conference play versus the SOC 2 teams. In that same time frame They won 47 games and lost 71 games versus the SOC 1 teams that were on their schedule. In those 53 years Northwest did not play well in ether division. Northwest has had some great Coaches over the years, They have had Larry Hall, Randy Martin, and Dick Tipton just to name a few. I don't think its a matter of moving up and eventually the adults will figure it. That didn't work in the past 33 years why would it happen now. I truly don't think that is the problem, something has changed at Northwest the past 2 years. The peewee, Jr high and high school programs have all had success.

Jay Bruce
Freshman Team

Post by Jay Bruce »

Randy Martin, Dick Tipton, Larry Hall ..... all were ran off by the community and they were proven winners. The only coaches who have had any success at Northwest and it was marginal success, at best, were Bill Apel and Mike Smith. The move to the smaller SOC division was needed if Northwest was going to ever have any success in football but I'm not sure if it actually will help in the long run. I agree with the above posters that it has been a false positive winning some games the past two seasons because Northwest is 4-5 times larger than the schools they have been able to beat. I've heard they have some solid kids coming up, but that's also been true in the past. Any news on who all has applied for the open coaching position?

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Bill Apel, now that name is a blast from the past.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

No reason not to be successful program in SOC1, time will come sooner than later when there will be calls to move back to SOC2.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

The size of a school doesn't necessarily correlate into a winning program. Hasn't Northwest been one the largest, if not the largest, county school for decades? How many dressed for Northwest this year? When was the last time they were in the running for an SOCII championship? When was the last time they won an SOC II championship? As far as I can remember they've always been a .500 team, give or take a couple of games. It's not a knock on the kids playing but it probably has more to do with the expanse and the socioeconomics of the District. I think there is more in play with Northwest than coaching and sheer numbers. Just an opinion. I do hope they continue to find some level of success to help elevate enthusiasm in their program, at all levels.

Return to “Football”