Ohio teams playing Canadian teams this season

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Ohio teams playing Canadian teams this season

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Looks like Irontons not the only team playing Canadian teams this season.

Ironton Tigers (D4) 54
Mount Carmel Secondary School, Ontario 6

Cadiz Harrison Cent. (D3) 44
Sir Wilfrid Laurier, Ontario 0

Mogadore (D6) 52
Holy Trinity Catholic, Ontario 31

Versailles (D5) 27
Bishop Ryan, Ontario 19

Findlay Liberty Benton (D5) 59
Notre Dame Catholic, Ontario 13

North Canton Hoover (D1) plays Donald Wilson, Ontario
Massillon Washington (D1) plays Brantford institute, Ontario
Massillon Perry (D1) plays ST Jean De Brebeuf, Ontario
Uniontown Lake (D2) plays A.B. Lucas, Ontario
Ashtabulu Edgewood (D3) plays Trinity, Ontario
Sunbury Big Walnut (D3) plays Bishop Tonnos, Ontario
Cadiz Harrison Central (D3) plays Sir Wilfrid Laurier, Ontario
Columbus Bishop Ready (D5) plays Notre Dame Catholic, Ontario
Last edited by ohbuckeye2 on Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sportsfan_1959
JV Team

Re: Ohio teams playing Canadian teams this season

Post by sportsfan_1959 »

Could someone tell me the incentive for a Canadian team to come this far south for a high school football game. With fuel costs this high, I can't really see the practicallity of it. Could one high school really pay another high school enough money to travel that far?

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

Note that most of the Canadian school names sound "parochial". It may be alums footing the travel bill. Also, since Ohio schools start much earlier than the Canadian school system, this serves as a scrimmage game for them and doesn't count on their regular season record.
Both the Canadian teams that played Ironton turned the trip into a long weekend taking in a college game on their way back home. Both coaches also stated that they think Ohio has a well organized High School football program and consistently produces quality teams so they seek opportunities to give their kids some first-hand exposure to the American high school and college game.

SpPointer13
Waterboy

Post by SpPointer13 »

Looks like Canada has a long way to go when it comes to competing with Ohio high school football. Scheduling a Canadian team looks like a scrimmage for the American team...not the other way around...

carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

I know Martins Ferry caught on to rival Bellaire's idea of scheduling Sir Wilfred Laurier for games because of the computer points (i think D-1 points) and then another school in the Buckeye 8 Conference, Harrison Central, picked up S-W Laurier for a game this season.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a few more added in the future because, hey, the Canadian kids liked the U.S. experience because they can catch a college game on the way home, etc.

Be nice to see a school like Athens pick up 3 or 4 Canadian teams on the same weekend OU has a home game. Something to think about.

Has a Canadian team ever won in Ohio?

STM#61
Waterboy

Post by STM#61 »

yes
St. Thomas More defeated Cleveland Heights Ohio last season
32-19

Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

Yeah I may be wrong but I think because of the school sizes, they are being classified as a D-1 and are coming down and getting beat! Ohio schools have kinda caught on to this cheap way to beat a D-1, but whatever works!

The American way! Can't keep things in the states!
Can't play teams from the ol' US! Gotta go beat teams who dont play by the same rules even!

I don't like it!
But what do I know!

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Neutron Man wrote:Yeah I may be wrong but I think because of the school sizes, they are being classified as a D-1 and are coming down and getting beat! Ohio schools have kinda caught on to this cheap way to beat a D-1, but whatever works!

Can't play teams from the ol' US! Gotta go beat teams who dont play by the same rules even!

I don't like it!
But what do I know!

Mount Carmel Secondary School, Ontario (1800 students) was classified as D2

Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

OHbuckeye1 wrote:
Neutron Man wrote:Yeah I may be wrong but I think because of the school sizes, they are being classified as a D-1 and are coming down and getting beat! Ohio schools have kinda caught on to this cheap way to beat a D-1, but whatever works!

I don't like it!
But what do I know!

Mount Carmel Secondary School, Ontario (1800 students) was classified as D2

Ok well, D-1 or D-2
Either way playing teams outside of our own country is crazy!
Let's just stick with the Herby challenge and play teams from other states!

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

Neutron,

Some programs need a victory so bad they schedule the Canadian teams. I am glad they won.Other wise next year they would have scheduled a girls team!!!!!!!!!!

Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

2old wrote:Neutron,

Some programs need a victory so bad they schedule the Canadian teams. I am glad they won.Other wise next year they would have scheduled a girls team!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MinnyAckMack10
Freshman Team

Post by MinnyAckMack10 »

points wise.. its very similar to scheduling out of state teams...

Fear The Spear
Waterboy

Post by Fear The Spear »

a easy win able game is all it is.
canada plays different rules
if i was over a school
i wouldn't play a team from canada
its pointless.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Fear The Spear wrote
a easy win able game is all it is.
canada plays different rules
if i was over a school
i wouldn't play a team from canada
its pointless

Its not pointless, Ironton got alot of points from the team they played a few years ago.

TheShark
Waterboy

Post by TheShark »

If the game for the Canadian team is a scrimmage, should the team that beat them get playoff points for the win?

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

I agree on the points. If you can not get USA points, why not go for some of those EASY international points. Some Ohio teams just can not beat USA teams. I think the exchange rate is getting better.

TIGERS90
Varsity

Post by TIGERS90 »

Sometimes it's not by the schools choice that they have to play Canadian teams....this year for instance..Ironton wanted to play Columbus DeSales or youngstown Mooney...but both backed out at the last minute...the only team that was willing to play at such a short notice was from our friends from the north....not all schools have the comfort of having teams wanting to play them....Ironton has struggled for years just to make up a schedule for lack of schools wanting to challenge them....knowing what most likely the outcome would be....Then you have some schools such as Wheelersburg, Ashland and Portsmouth that have the same idea that Ironton has...that it only makes you better by playing better competition even if you get beat once in a while. Ironton wanted a better game...just wasn't in their cards this year.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

TIGERS90 wrote:Sometimes it's not by the schools choice that they have to play Canadian teams....this year for instance..Ironton wanted to play Columbus DeSales or youngstown Mooney...but both backed out at the last minute...the only team that was willing to play at such a short notice was from our friends from the north....not all schools have the comfort of having teams wanting to play them....Ironton has struggled for years just to make up a schedule for lack of schools wanting to challenge them....knowing what most likely the outcome would be....Then you have some schools such as Wheelersburg, Ashland and Portsmouth that have the same idea that Ironton has...that it only makes you better by playing better competition even if you get beat once in a while. Ironton wanted a better game...just wasn't in their cards this year.

Well said...........

We have Russell scheduled next season.

Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

OHbuckeye1 wrote:
TIGERS90 wrote:Sometimes it's not by the schools choice that they have to play Canadian teams....this year for instance..Ironton wanted to play Columbus DeSales or youngstown Mooney...but both backed out at the last minute...the only team that was willing to play at such a short notice was from our friends from the north....not all schools have the comfort of having teams wanting to play them....Ironton has struggled for years just to make up a schedule for lack of schools wanting to challenge them....knowing what most likely the outcome would be....Then you have some schools such as Wheelersburg, Ashland and Portsmouth that have the same idea that Ironton has...that it only makes you better by playing better competition even if you get beat once in a while. Ironton wanted a better game...just wasn't in their cards this year.

Well said...........

We have Russell scheduled next season.

so your telling me there were absolutely no teams in any other of the 49 states that would play ironton? cause playing outta state is like playing a D-1 or D-2 school/
Don't believe it! Fancy way to tell ur kids later in life that you were so good you had to schedule other countries!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

no way ironton or any school following this trend!!

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

Isn't the coach and AD's job to get their team into the playoffs? Then why wouldn't you schedule a team that you can beat who will get you lots of computer points? Seems pretty simple to me. I'm not sure why anyone would make the argument against winning a game that brings significant computer points.

Return to “Football”