Comparing leagues: SOC II vs. OVC

Jesco White
S

Comparing leagues: SOC II vs. OVC

Post by Jesco White »

There have been numerous conversations over the last few years on here regarding the comparisons between the OVC and the SOC II. The two conferences both feature six teams each, with the leagues being nearly identical in size of schools and there is a long history of non-conference match-ups between the two leagues. This year is no exception, and in fact, this year may feature the most match-ups between the two. Here is a list of all games this season between schools from both leagues:

1. Wheelersburg at South Point
2. Wheelersburg at Rock Hill
3. Valley at Rock Hill
4. Coal Grove at Valley
5. Valley at Chesapeake
6. Valley at South Point
7. River Valley at Minford
8. Coal Grove at Minford
9. West at Fairland
10. West at South Point
11. Rock Hill at West
12. West at Chesapeake

Currently, the SOC II holds a 4-0 early advantage over the OVC through the first two weeks of the season. Any thoughts on the upcoming games, and the two leagues this year as they stand vs each other?

MinnyAckMack10
Freshman Team

Re: Comparing leagues: SOC II vs. OVC

Post by MinnyAckMack10 »

The OVC doesn't seem to carry the name they once did.. In the past years though the OVC was very competitive.. probably just a down year the league itself..

With that said, the SOCII is competitive head-to-foot with Northwest even showing signs of improvement.. It's almost nearly impossible to predict the outcome and maybe a 3-way tie for golden football isn't out of sight..

PLEASANTFLYER
JV Team

Post by PLEASANTFLYER »

chesapeake 1-1
coal grove 0-2
rock hill 0-2
south point 0-2
fairland 0-2
river valley 0-2
i think saying a down year is an understatement!

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

As PleasantFlyer pointed out, here is a complete listing of current records for the teams from both leagues thus far this season:

OVC
Chesapeake: 1-1
Coal Grove: 0-2
Fairland: 0-2
River Valley: 0-2
Rock Hill: 0-2
South Point: 0-2

SOC II
Minford: 2-0
Valley: 2-0
West: 2-0
Wheelersburg: 2-0
Northwest: 1-1
Waverly: 1-1

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

IMO, the OVC is probably one of the weaker leagues in the state along with the SOC I.

california kid
Varsity

Post by california kid »

the soc 1 is really competitive considering school size and two teams from it made the playoffs last year and maybe even three this year

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

california kid wrote:the soc 1 is really competitive considering school size and two teams from it made the playoffs last year and maybe even three this year

Which three do you see having a shot at the playoffs this year? I see East as being one of those teams with a legitimate shot at the playoffs, but after that, it will be tough to get another team, let alone two more in. Oak Hill is considered by most to be one of the top two or three teams in that league and they are in D-5 Region 19 this year, which is a LOADED region.

I wish the SOC I all the luck in the world and would love to see them get multiple teams in the playoffs every year, but I just don't think it's likely.

california kid
Varsity

Post by california kid »

well like you said oak hill if they play the way they are cracked up to be i am sure everybody has heard how good they are suopposed to be but with that loss to peake its going to be a lot harder they will have to win the soc and beat east which i dont see happening but it could i still think they might have a chance and notre dame i can see sneaking in there again but who knows it only week three

california kid
Varsity

Post by california kid »

i still think the soc 1 and 2 are great they are both competitive reguarding there school size

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

The SOC II thus far looks very good. Minford, Burg, and West are probably the top teams. Does anyone from Scioto Co. think that posibly all 3 could reach the playoffs? That would be something if it happened! :shock:

knowledge
All Conference

Post by knowledge »

No disrespect intended for the OVC, but I think that is comparing apples and oranges.. the SOC II, I believe will carry 3 playoff ball clubs this season.

MinnyAckMack10
Freshman Team

Post by MinnyAckMack10 »

California Kid...

East 10-0 reg. season gets spanked by Mechanicsburg who was seeded 6th? whereas East was seeded 1st? ..

ledoux
Waterboy

Post by ledoux »

MinnyAckMack10 wrote:California Kid...

East 10-0 reg. season gets spanked by Mechanicsburg who was seeded 6th? whereas East was seeded 1st? ..

East was 3rd and Mechanicsburg 6th.....Covington was 1

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

The only way to compare is the wins and losses of the games that these 2 conferences match up.

Right now, the SOC II has a handle on things.

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

Here's how this has went recently
2002 SOC 5-0
2003 OVC 3-1 reg season Playoffs Burg over Peake
2004 SOC 2-1
2005 SOC 3-0
2006 SOC 5-2
2007 SOC 6-3
2008 SOC 4-0 so far

Sawdust
Freshman Team

Post by Sawdust »

I would compare SOC II vs OVC akin to SEC vs Big Ten. Not really fair. Can't argue with the stats as much as it pains me to say it.
The SOC I is even weaker than OVC but it should be due to school size. East, which is supposed to be the class of SOC I, might only win 1 game in OVC. East should have enough to get into playoffs but won't be playing in week 12. Will be shocked if OH makes it to week 11. No disrespect to anyone, you play with what you got. but it is what it is.

Winchell
JV Team

Post by Winchell »

Recently, I think there is no doubt that the SOC II is the better league. However, through the years the gap was more narrow than it is now. When in high school, the teams I played on never lost to an SOC school. We opened the year with Minford and also played West every year.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

winchell wrote:Recently, I think there is no doubt that the SOC II is the better league. However, through the years the gap was more narrow than it is now. When in high school, the teams I played on never lost to an SOC school. We opened the year with Minford and also played West every year.

That team you guys had your senior year was LOADED. You guys were the real deal that year for sure.

I agree with you that things are a little more one-sided currently than they used to be. And, as with most things in high school sports, I'm sure the tide will swing again and the gap will once again be narrowed in the future. It seems like things in high school sports almost always go in cycles.

I really like it that the two leagues are steadily increasing the number of games they are playing each year against one another. Comparible school sizes with relatively close drive times for good solid non-league games.

OVCfan32
Freshman Team

Post by OVCfan32 »

you can't just imagine the kids into being there. . .
The OVC just doesn't have them right now
its just luck. . .poor valley would have been competative in the socII for a long time. . and now they are on a bad streak
Thats small school football. . . .you can't just get a few transfers every time you need it like a few schools names are lucky enough to get
I haven't really seen a strong OVC team since 04 season. . .

Da man
Riding the Bench

Post by Da man »

1. Wheelersburg at South Point SOC 1
2. Wheelersburg at Rock Hill SOC2
3. Valley at Rock Hill SOC 3
4. Coal Grove at Valley OVC 1
5. Valley at Chesapeake OVC 2
6. Valley at South Point OVC 3
7. River Valley at Minford SOC 4
8. Coal Grove at Minford SOC 5
9. West at Fairland SOC 6
10. West at South Point SOC 7
11. Rock Hill at West SOC 8
12. West at Chesapeake SOC 9

The only argument i could come up with is that Northwest(presumably the worst SOC team) does not play any OVC teams, whereas the worst OVC team which could be RH who plays 3 games and RV which only plays 1....so you have to give at least a one game "spot"...thats the only argument I can come up with.... SOC 9-3 is my prediction

School Size

Waverly 253 ... Rock Hill 222
Northwest 228 ... South Point 216
West 186 ...Fairland 205
Burg 185 ... River Valley 191
Minford 182 ... Coal Grove 166
Valley 178 ... Chesapeake 162

Avg. 202 ..... 194

theres # 2 SOC is bigger...lol

Return to “Football”