Week 3 of Ranking area teams since the PDT won't

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Week 3 of Ranking area teams since the PDT won't

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

1. West (3-0) Last week # 2 –The Senators take over the top spot this week after a 28-7 defeat of the South Point Pointers. West defense continues to look strong as they have given up a mere 7 points this season. West should have no real challenge this week as they face another winless OVC team in the Rock Hill Redman.
2. Wheelersburg (3-0) Last week # 3 The Burg moves up one spot this week after beating Portsmouth 28-6. The Pirates and Senators have played almost an identical schedule so far with the exception of Ironton; I believe this gives Burg the edge in schedule strength even though Ironton is an unknown commodity at this point. The Pirates don’t take the # one spot because they have had to play these games late into the 4th where West’s games have mostly been in hand by then. These close games may benefit the young Pirates as the season progresses. One last thing, what’s the word? SCHANKS THE WORD. The two Schankweiler brothers were very impressive again this week.
3. Jackson (3-0) Last week # 4- The Ironmen roll off another win this week with a victory over Vinton county. Jackson will start SEOAL play this week when Portsmouth invades Alumni Stadium. Historically the Ironmen have had trouble with Portsmouth, so much that they have been unable to beat them since a 3-2 victory in 1985. Since that point the Trojans have beat the Ironmen 4 times including a 54- 14 victory a year ago, but all those games now mean nothing as these are 2 new teams. If the Ironmen continue to win they will have plenty of chance to move to the top of the list in the second half of the season.
4. Ironton (2-1) Last week # 6 –Fighting Tigers roll off victory # 2 in their year of redemption, against SEOAL foe Gallia Academy. At this point the Tigers are still an unknown commodity. Are they as good as they have been the last 2 weeks? Does that mean that The Burg is even better? Nobody knows at this point, what I do know is that they Tigers should have little trouble this week as the Tomcats of Ashland Paul Blazer come to the hostile environment of the Tank.. As I have said all year we will see how good the Tigers are when they travel to Logan in week 5, a win against the Chieftains and the Tigers will be heading up.
5. Chillicothe (1-2) last week #1 – The Cavs suffered a 20 point loss to a very good Sheridan team. At this point I don’t know what to make of Chillicothe, with a close loss to Brookhaven and a victory over Big Walnut I thought the Cavs were going to make some real noise this year, but with this loss the Cavs will need to right the ship before heading to Zanesville on Friday.
6. Minford (3-0) last week #4 - The Falcons continue to win but their strength of schedule hurt them. They have yet to defeat a team that has won a game. I believe that the Falcons are a good football team, but have not yet had the opportunity to prove themselves. Minford will see 2 better opponents the next 2 weeks before conference play begins, it is then when the Falcons can show their merit.
7. Waverly (2-1) Last week # 11- The Tigers move up 4 spots this week after a 35 to 21 victory over the Wellston Rockets. The Tigers have yet to face a quality opponent other then Jackson who they lost to 27-20 in week 2. Waverly should have a great chance at picking up another win this week against Vinton County, before they play division 2 Franklin Heights. The Tigers seem to be getting better each week, they will need to continue that trend if they want a shot a the SOC.
8. Gallia Academy (2-1) Last week # 8- The Blue Devils get to stay at # 8 this week as they recover from a 42-6 loss to Ironton. As I stated last week G.A has two victories over two unimpressive opponents. Victories will be hard to come by for the Blue Devils as SEOAL play continues. This week with Logan, followed with Jackson in week 5. These are two huge tests for the Devils.
9. Portsmouth (1-2) Last week # 8- The Trojans lost a rivalry game this week to the Wheelersburg Pirates at Ed Miller Stadium. With the exception of a touchdown return for John Royster, the Trojans were only able to threaten the Pirates defense one time, but that was faulted by penalties. The Trojans will have to do one of two things before this season goes any farther 1. take out a life insurance policy on QB Josh Myers, or 2. START BLOCKING FOR HIM!!!!!!! Myers has been forced to run for his life in 2 straight games, the line must step up or step out, if the 5 they have can’t get it done, find someone who can. If this line can ever come together I still believe the Trojans can be a dangerous team. It will be another monstrous test this week as the Trojans travel to Jackson.
10. Valley (2-1) Last week # 9- The Indians suffered their first loss of the season Friday night at the hands of the Coal Grove Hornets. The Indians gave up 22 points in the 2nd quarter and were never able to recover. This week the Indians go on the road against a 2-1 Chesapeake Panthers team. This and next week are must wins for the Indians if they want any shot a the playoffs, because conference victories will be hard to come by.
11.tie Oak Hill (2-1) last week #12 - The Oaks pick up win # 2 of the season with a 42-18 victory over Rock Hill. I would like to rank the Oaks higher but they have yet to defeat a quality opponent. Look for more of the same this week as they take on the Mohawks of Northwest. It will be in week five when Oak Hill gets their chance to move up the list as they travel to Minford to take on the Falcons; this is by far the best cross division game in the SOC this year.
11.tie East (2-1) last week # 10 –The Tartans drop one spot this week after a 19-6 defeat at the hands of Matewan WV. This was the end of what I believe was a 17 game regular season winning streak for the Tartans. The Tartans will try to avoid a 2 game losing streak this week as they continue their tour of West Virginia as they travel to Buffalo.
13. Notre Dame (1-2) last week # 13- The Titans lost a close game to a very good Summit Country Day team on Saturday night to the tune of 39-32. Notre Dame shows promise but doesn’t seem to be able to take control of a game. Look for the Titians to sneak up on some of their SOC opponents in the second half of the season.
14. Green (2-0) last week # 16 – The Bobcats move to # 14 this week after a victory over Burch WV. It will be a tough task for the Bobcats to remain perfect this week as they travel to Grove City Christian to play a 3-0 Eagles team. If the Bobcats get out with a win the SOC 1 will have to take notice.
15. Symmes Valley(1-2) last week # 14- The Vikings were smoked by Chesapeake and have yet to defeat a quality opponent. They should rebound in the next 2 weeks with games against Manchester and Northwest before conference play gets under way.
16. Northwest(1-2) last week # 15- The Mohawks only victory comes against a first year division 6 school. I don’t see many opportunities for win number 2 on the horizon.
Last edited by Trojan_FB_Alum on Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

black76
JV Team

Re: Week 3 of Ranking area teams since the PDT won't

Post by black76 »

Thanks Trojan for the work you are putting into this. Agree with you, BLOCK for Myers this week Trojans! Cannot believe this huge line cannot get the job done.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

Northwest first win was against a d6 first year team

Coal Grove's first victory came against a team in your rankings,

Where's the Grove at.

72Xcurl
Freshman Team

Post by 72Xcurl »

[quote="Trojan_FB_Alum"]1.
[b]7. Waverly (2-1) Last week # 11
- The Tigers move up 4 spots this week after a 35 to 21 victory over the Wellston Rockets. The Tigers have yet to face a quality opponent other then Jackson who they lost to 20-7 in week 2. Waverly should have a great chance at picking up another win this week against Vinton County, before they play division 2 Franklin Heights. The Tigers seem to be getting better each week, they will need to continue that trend if they want a shot a the SOC.

Waverly lost 27-20 in week 2 to Jackson, not 20-7. Could have actually won the game late, but an INT on the 13 killed the comeback.
Last edited by 72Xcurl on Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

2trap_4ever wrote:Northwest first win was against a d6 first year team

Coal Grove's first victory came against a team in your rankings,

Where's the Grove at.

If you would have read my first weeks rankings you would have seen that I'am only ranking the SEOAL south and the SOC. Notice Logan isn't on the list or Zanesville.

72Xcurl wrote:
Trojan_FB_Alum wrote:Waverly lost 27-20 in week 2 to Jackson, not 20-7. Could have actually won the game late, but an INT on the 13 that killed the comeback.

You are right I will make the change. Just a typing mistake.

ausa
Waterboy

Post by ausa »

what about undefeated Paint Valley?

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

ausa wrote:what about undefeated Paint Valley?

I didn't realize that Paint Valley had joined the SOC or SEOAL South. :roll: I’m ranking the SEOAL South and the SOC this gives me 16 teams to rank each week and write a little piece on. It was stated in week one that this would be the 16 teams that are eligible for this list, if your team is not on here sorry but I don't really care. This was all made clear in the first installment of the rankings, or at least I thought it was clear but apparently some of you weren’t paying attention. If you don't like my list or the teams that are on it no one is stopping you from taking the time and making your own each week.
Last edited by Trojan_FB_Alum on Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ausa
Waterboy

Post by ausa »

ahh i did not know that. I just imagined the rankings would be all SE Ohio.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

ausa wrote:ahh i did not know that. I just imagined the rankings would be all SE Ohio.

Sorry but I had just answered the same question for a guy from Coal Grove in the post right before yours.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Doesn't Portsmouth have two DI OLinemen? What is going on?

MinnyAckMack10
Freshman Team

Post by MinnyAckMack10 »

technically.... portsmouth Olineman are still D4.. :122245

But, yes, I've heard they were supposed to have these big studs which haven't proved much yet. Haven't even heard their name...

MinnyAckMack10
Freshman Team

Post by MinnyAckMack10 »

Good work.. I'll agree to most.. however all preseason and early rankings are inconcise until later on in the season... Fun reading them though, and you done most of your homework! 8)

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

bengalfan76 wrote:Doesn't Portsmouth have two DI OLinemen? What is going on?

Yes, one is to go to Penn State and one to Florida State, but you wouldn't know it by the way they have played the last 2 games. These 2 guys have the size and talent it just hasn't shown the last 2 games, and I don't know why.

MinnyAckMack10 wrote:Good work.. I'll agree to most.. however all preseason and early rankings are inconcise until later on in the season... Fun reading them though, and you done most of your homework! 8)

It is just for fun and isn't meant to do anything other then get people talking.(and take a shot at the PDT) I try to rank them on what they have done so far and what I think the teams ablities are. I'am not so sure that Ironton and Chilli couldn't beat the teams ahead of them but I go off what I have so far. I'll tell eveyone this right now if the Tigers beat Logan week 5 it will be hard to deny them the top spot.

Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

AHEM! you accidentally got 1 and 2 mixed up!
As I see it Burg is the reigning SOC champs and has yet to be beat
this season and has played a harder schedule up to this point!

NOW west 89! don't get your panties in a bunch! I said up to this point!
It is VERY possible West could be a better team! BUT until one of them lose
a game whether its before week 10 or that week, I think Burg has a harder schedule.

BUT Let it be noted I do not look forward to playing west!
They are a very very good team! and it will be a GREAT GAME!
But despite how one sided a person's mind is to their team,
bottom line is, to be the best you must beat the champ! Right?

WHEELERSBURG 1
WEST 2 (for now, maybe)

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Most posts and people I've talked to from Portsmouth have said West is better in their opinion. West will get alot better when we get a healthy morgan at QB and Bricker at receiver. This team is really gonna surprise some with the passing game. They dominated people at the 7 on 7's passing the ball. Wheelersburg is good, but the loss of Lang is gonna hurt them over time, even though the other kid has played well. I've watched some of the Burg/Ironton game on Tv and I think Wheelersburg will be worn out in the 2nd half against our run game. But, we'll see in a few weeks.

Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

siderman wrote:Most posts and people I've talked to from Portsmouth have said West is better in their opinion. West will get alot better when we get a healthy morgan at QB and Bricker at receiver. This team is really gonna surprise some with the passing game. They dominated people at the 7 on 7's passing the ball. Wheelersburg is good, but the loss of Lang is gonna hurt them over time, even though the other kid has played well. I've watched some of the Burg/Ironton game on Tv and I think Wheelersburg will be worn out in the 2nd half against our run game. But, we'll see in a few weeks.

I agree with you and thanks BTW for having a reasonable answer and not acting 10 like west89. I think the loss of Lang really hurt Burg's passing game. Yeah Shank is an AWESOME runner and has great skills, but passing game has gone bye bye!

But WEST89 remember, this isnt an ACTUAL poll! Look at Joe Eitel! that poll is closer to being the truth than some ticked off guy that is mad at the Daily Crimes!
Burg 3 - West 6? TO THIS POINT!! Be a realist! You're the 6th best team in the region RIGHT NOW! Could you be #1? Yeah. Could Burg? Yeah!

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

Interesting that strength of schedule is brought up in ranking Minford 6th (because their opponents have won zero games ) but your No 1 pick has faced 3 opponents with a combined 1 win . I'm not from minford , but have seen portsmouth play twice --they are unmotivated and inexperienced. West's big victory over them is carrying too much weight IMO. I'd say burg , ironton, west , then jackson . portsmouth around 12th until they show improvement. Thanks for the poll --makes for good chatter. MD

Return to “Football”