Matewan ethics

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Re: Matewan ethics

Post by The Riepo Man »

hammerdown wrote:
The Riepo Man wrote:I have never lossed by that many points so I cant really feel for the players but I personally would rather lose by 50+ than forfeit. I would rather keep fighting and lose with dignity.

i wouldn't forfeit either i disagree with pounding on teams that are unable to defend themselves be whatever the reason is. and yes they are teams that cannot defend themselves against a superior opponnet whiether it is lack of size or talent.

i like the running clock no need to further the a senseless beating. sometimes common sense has to kick in.i don't think the clock running could be any more embarrasing that taking a beat down like those kids got.

no football is not a war. :roll: War is what our fine young men and women are going through overseas.seeing your fellow soldiers dying in battle that's war .not if a kid misses a tackle or scoring a TD.ask our soldiers if a football game is war.

War has more than one meaning now...Merriam-Webster Dictionary also defines it as "struggle or competition between opposing forces or for a particular end". I know the use of the word "war" can be misused but no one is saying it is comparable to armed military conflict.

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

RICKYVAUGHN wrote:
hammerdown wrote:no football is not a war. :roll: War is what our fine young men and women are going through overseas.seeing your fellow soldiers dying in battle that's war .not if a kid misses a tackle or scoring a TD.ask our soldiers if a football game is war.

It's called a metaphor, Hammerdown. It's meant to draw a comparison between the unyielding and unsympathetic nature of war and the unyielding and unsympathetic nature of football. Clearly, barring extreme circumstances, nobody dies on a football field. You knew that, though, you just couldn't resist throwing in a plug for our troops. I like 'em, too, so I get it. Believe me, sir, you needn't lecture me about war.

You know what I meant. You know you were just being argumentative.

I think that is the best way to put it and coming from a family with tons of military experience I can agree 100%.

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

We should just drop the whole troops and war subject...those are two iffy subjects that should be left alone.

Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

RICKYVAUGHN wrote:Football is war.

Thank You Kellen Winslow!
:roll: :roll:
:twisted: ARE YOU A WARRIOR!?! :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Metaphor or not that is a stupid comment!
You showed yourself and exactly why the mercy rule
would be a good idea, for coaches with the attitude like you!

dilligaf
S

Post by dilligaf »

I saw a team loose there star fullback this year trying to run up a score

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

I have to say after reading the article that my first thought was 'goodness it was just a game', this is too much fuss.

The next thought was that the behavior of the Burch coach was unethical and downright poor. The Burch's coach spent too much time during the game worrying about what the other coach was doing and not enough time coaching his team. He then spends his time after the game, not a decision made in the heat of a moment, smearing another man's character.

In the end, that was the obvious unethical behavior that I recognize in the situation. I may not agree with the Matewan's coach's decision and certainly would not have made it myself but in the end it was just a game. Move on and forget about it. Trying to harm someone's character and reputation on purpose--that is bad.

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

Everyone should leave their star player in and purposely give yourself bad field position to rack up extra yards, it's the obvious thing to do. As Colin Cowherd says, say it out loud and if it sounds stupid, it probably is.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

Oh, and the Conneticut rule is poor thought also. A rule like that in kiddy league is OK--along with the rules that everyone plays the same amount of time and no one keeps score and you have kids play positions based on size so no one has a 200 lb running back with 90 lb tacklers.

In this situation, if a coach's team is leading by 49 points, he has to instruct his players to stop and take a knee at the 1 yard line four times. Then after turning it over on downs, they have to avoid at all cost tackling the ball handler in the end zone because that would put them over 50 points... Can you imagine the senarios? How embarassing is that to the losing team?

A mercy rule of 50 points would be a better rule than the one that they have.

Trust me, it does NOT feel good to watch the other team kneel down to avoid scoring on you. It hurts much less for a much shorter time to play straight up with your JV and let the score fall where it may.

tri_state
Waterboy

Post by tri_state »

Here you are talking about the ethics of West Virginia’s Matewan High School football team and trying to justify the 18 to 6 butt woopin they gave you this year was all the officials fault. I heard how bad the officials were, but you’ve got to play real good and win big when you go out of the state. Plus, I didn’t hear Matewan bitchen about how bad the official were last year when you spanked them 42 to 14 here on your home field. Maybe it was a little pay-back.

And we all know how bad the WV teams are in the first place, but you scheduled them to get an easy win and knock your points divisor down to help you when its playoff time. Now it’s the next year and you had to go there. What goes around comes around. Now "LEAVE NO DOUBT "ABOUT THAT TOUR.

EAST 2005-2008
Freshman Team

Post by EAST 2005-2008 »

tri_state wrote:Here you are talking about the ethics of West Virginia’s Matewan High School football team and trying to justify the 18 to 6 butt woopin they gave you this year was all the officials fault. I heard how bad the officials were, but you’ve got to play real good and win big when you go out of the state. Plus, I didn’t hear Matewan bitchen about how bad the official were last year when you spanked them 42 to 14 here on your home field. Maybe it was a little pay-back.

And we all know how bad the WV teams are in the first place, but you scheduled them to get an easy win and knock your points divisor down to help you when its playoff time. Now it’s the next year and you had to go there. What goes around comes around. Now "LEAVE NO DOUBT "ABOUT THAT TOUR.
Funny U should use that saying.That is exactly what I put in a pm tonight.What goes around does come around. "LEAVE NO DOUBT TOUR "will continue.Did U see the game Saturday? And I agree there is no justification for this game.I was there.Or has it already came around?

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

tri_state wrote:Here you are talking about the ethics of West Virginia’s Matewan High School football team and trying to justify the 18 to 6 butt woopin they gave you this year was all the officials fault. I heard how bad the officials were, but you’ve got to play real good and win big when you go out of the state. Plus, I didn’t hear Matewan bitchen about how bad the official were last year when you spanked them 42 to 14 here on your home field. Maybe it was a little pay-back.

Actually I know people who sat on their side last year and they made no secret this would happen when we came down there this season.

peewee to pro fan
Waterboy

Post by peewee to pro fan »

Anyone know which college signed McCoy? From what I read all colleges were probably after him since he holds high school records. I doubt any college player today can boast of breaking national records,except for McCoy.

tri_state
Waterboy

Post by tri_state »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18

:aaaaa6 :aaaaa6 :aaaaa6 :aaaaa6 :aaaaa6 :aaaaa6 :aaaaa6 :aaaaa6 :aaaaa6 :aaaaa6 :aaaaa6 :aaaaa6 :aaaaa6 :aaaaa6 :aaaaa6 :aaaaa6 :aaaaa6 :aaaaa6 :aaaaa6 :aaaaa6 :aaaaa6 :aaaaa6 :aaaaa6 :aaaaa6 :aaaaa6 :aaaaa6 :aaaaa6 :aaaaa6 :aaaaa6 :aaaaa6 :aaaaa6 :aaaaa6 :aaaaa6 :aaaaa6 :aaaaa6

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

I think that McCoy was about 165 pounds. He was NOT a prospect.

A defensive coordinator from a school that played against that Kinder team actually said that he had seen several backs better than McCoy on the Ohio teams he played that season.

peewee to pro fan
Waterboy

Post by peewee to pro fan »

Thank you for above info

1longtimeviking
Freshman Team

Post by 1longtimeviking »

Matewan has never treated Symmes Valley any worse than East has. I'm not saying that East has treated us poorly either, I'm just saying, they are the opponent, they are going to do what it takes to win. Play the game and move on with your life.

california kid
Varsity

Post by california kid »

green went down there last year and we were treated with respect by everyone players, coaches, referees, fans were all very nice and sportsman like to us but we treated them with respect also not saying that east did not matewan fans even cheered for us as we walked off the field the players were some of the nicest i have played against in my career it was one of the best/funnest games i have played in and had it was backand forth the whole game they ended up scoring with about a minute left on a td pass it was a heartbreaker and a long ride home

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

Not trying to start a holy war here, but...

...I attended River Valley from 1993-94 till 1996-97. In that time I witnessed Ironton put 70 on us twice I believe.
Also saw a star RB from GAHS re-enter the game late in a 4th quarter rout so that he could clinch the school record for TDs.

I'll just let that post stand for itself, and I truely don't want a war started over it. Keep in mind though, let him who is without sin cast the first stone at Matwan.

Return to “Football”