Matewan ethics

EAST 2005-2008
Freshman Team

Matewan ethics

Post by EAST 2005-2008 »

http://www.ethicsscoreboard.com/list/matewan.html For any naysayers about the ethics of Matewan.Please click and read.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Re: Matewan ethics

Post by biggdowgg »

unreal :roll:

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Whoa. Sometimes, it makes me wonder why I do what I do. I guess the only thing that could have been worse, and that is if he was a transfer.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

I remember hearing about this when it happened and all they talked about was how Matewan had such a great back to do this. I believe this was the year that East did not play Matewan. If these things keep happening Matewan will have to pay other schools to make the visit there as they only have 4 home games this year and heard that is all they ever have at the most and three of them are from out of state.

Foolsgold
Riding the Bench

Post by Foolsgold »

Why do you keep crying? Give it a rest. Move on.

Why does every loss have to be somebody cheating?

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

That story barely even scratches the surface of the Yogi Kinder legend...

Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

I think anytime you are up 50+ and your starters are in, the stats you put up are not eligible for state/US records.

EAST 2005-2008
Freshman Team

Post by EAST 2005-2008 »

If I am right that is why the 50+ rule was brought in.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

but to play Devil's Advocate...

When you step onto the field, you are agreeing to play 48 minutes, no?

Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

KarlAgathon wrote:but to play Devil's Advocate...

When you step onto the field, you are agreeing to play 48 minutes, no?

SO if my team is playing your team and i'm winning 62-0 and my 1st team is STILL in and your DEF is EXHAUSTED!! That makes it ok for my players to risk injury on your team and mine to keep the game going just so we can get 48 minutes in? Please!

I would be ok with the 50+ mercy rule ONLY if both teams agree and it HAS to be after the 2nd half, mabe even after th 3rd Quarter! Not that it would a comeback but.. Who knows!

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

Maybe there might be safety issues (though I think that they are often overstated),

HOWEVER, if I were still playing high school ball, I wouldn't want to surrender a single one of the 2400 potential minutes of high school football I could play, especially if they were being taken away because I had the geographic misfortune of playing at a school with a really bad football team...

Played on the wrong end of a 70-0 a**-stompin' once. Still wanted to play every last play.

revjimjones
Riding the Bench

Post by revjimjones »

There is nothing in the rules saying that you have to pull your starters if you get ahead by 50 points.

When is somebody going to say that it is the other team's responsibility to stop the other team from scoring?

It is high school football, not a kindergarten class. ( Not everything is going to be butterflies, rainbows and fingerpaint)

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

you would think the word "CLASS" would come into play somehwere.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

Getting hammered down is a part of life, isn't it?

We always want to talk about the lessons learned by playing sports. I think that seeing the task through to the end, even in the face of great adversity, would be a lesson best learned first on a playing field so that when life takes a royal crap on you, you have something to go on...

Sure, we would like people to be "classy" but you better not count on "classy" when your employer of 20 years tells you that it is taking the plant to China in three months.

"Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy."

-- Robert Heinlein (United States Naval Academy, Annapolis 1929)

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

I am advocating expecting the worst, and fighting until the very end. I wouldn't do what Kinder did in the aforementioned game, but I guess I expect no great nobility from most of the human beings that I know.

I despise so-called "slaughter rules" that end/shorten games.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Any time you agree to cross the river for a game, this should be expected. It's been going on for years and will continue for years. Best advice is to not schedule them in the first place. If it was really as bad as what some are saying on here though, East should make the return game next year a nightmare for Matewan as soon as they step off the bus.*

friday_nite_fan
Varsity

Post by friday_nite_fan »

hammerdown wrote:i myself like the running clock rule.

Continuous clock BLOWS!!! Why would you play the game any differently in the 4th quarter than you did the first 3? If you are going to take an *ssbeating, take it with dignity and stop the clock when it's supposed to be stopped. When you are on the wrong end of a Grade-A beating, it makes you feel worse looking up at the scoreboard watching the clock run when everyone in the whole stadium knows that it should be stopped. In my opinion, if I were a coach, I would rather pack up the troops and get on the bus before the game is over rather than sit through the embarrasment of a continuous clock 4th quarter.

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

I have never lossed by that many points so I cant really feel for the players but I personally would rather lose by 50+ than forfeit. I would rather keep fighting and lose with dignity.

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

RICKYVAUGHN wrote:A team is by no means ever "unable to defend itself" unless they only have ten or fewer bodies to put on the field. Is running up the score classy? No. Is it legal? Seems like it. Ethical? According to who's ethics? Football is war. Win or be trodden upon. It's that simple. I have no sympathy. Nobody ever showed my team sympathy when I was a kid (and I grew up WELL north of here). It happens. It sucks, but kids need to learn that embarrassment isn't fatal. Neither is failure.

I agree to a certain point. Sympathy and the sport football do not mix in my mind for the most point. I do believe that after a certain point the starters should leave the game completely unless the team needs them due to injuries, low number in players etc...Once the second string and JV go in then the score should be allowed to rise as high as possible. I know people may think that running up the score is embarrassing to the other team but if they cant stop the second string and/or JV then too bad. Now if those teams were just bombing passes everytime then I could understand. How do you think the younger kids feel when their cooach tells them to just take a knee or run dives every play? Some kids may never get to play an extended amount of time in their entire high school career and every chance they get they are gonna give 110%. They are gonna be playing as hard as possible to score just like the starters...hoping to make their parents, peers, and themselves proud.

Return to “Football”