STATE AP POLL

BULDOG
All Conference

Re: STATE AP POLL

Post by BULDOG »

WOW... This is unusal. Usually no love from the AP for southern ohio football.

tigercat1
Varsity

Post by tigercat1 »

Link anyone?

Winchell
JV Team

Post by Winchell »

Media polls mean nothing...zip....nada.

Do-Your-Job
Riding the Bench

Post by Do-Your-Job »

winchell wrote:Media polls mean nothing...zip....nada.

Why does someone always have to make a post like this whenever people are talking about a poll??????? EVERYBODY knows that the AP poll has nothing to do with who makes the playoffs or who wins the state title. It's just a nice, fun thing for people to discuss. I bet it pumps up Logan fans to see how high their team is, shows other people around the state are aware of their success. I hate it when people state the obvious, 'Oh this poll doesn't mean anything because they'll play it on the field in November.'

Philos_Finest
All Conference

Post by Philos_Finest »

Sheridan is actually #4 with New Lex at #10 in D-4.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Do-Your-Job wrote:

Why does someone always have to make a post like this whenever people are talking about a poll??????? EVERYBODY knows that the AP poll has nothing to do with who makes the playoffs or who wins the state title. It's just a nice, fun thing for people to discuss. I bet it pumps up Logan fans to see how high their team is, shows other people around the state are aware of their success. I hate it when people state the obvious, 'Oh this poll doesn't mean anything because they'll play it on the field in November.'

Well, in reality it shouldn't mean alot to these kids. IMO, it gives some teams a false sense of security that they think that ,"hey, we're number one, so we are better then everyone else" and that usually comes back to bite them in the butt.

earp
S

Post by earp »

Its just like every other poll,It means nothing! :roll:

Do-Your-Job
Riding the Bench

Post by Do-Your-Job »

earp wrote:Its just like every other poll,It means nothing! :roll:

Guess you people are just boring. I think it's fun to look at the poll and see who's where and what local teams are in it. If a team actually feels better about their chances because of a poll, and loses because they were over confident, then they were never good enough to win it in the first place.

Winchell
JV Team

Post by Winchell »

gahs4ever wrote:Polls=politics

The two root words making up the word politic are
poli meaning many
tics meaning blood sucking creatures

The reason polls in Ohio HS football mean nothing is because those who vote almost certainly never get to see even a small percentage of them play, unless they are omnipresent.

Thus polls have their basis in tradition, league affiliation, perhaps even perceived strength of schedule, and location in the state; ie NE football gets more respect than SE, etc.

Many HS teams set preseason goals, and I'm willing to bet that none of them have being state "ranked" among them. Going 10-0, winning league, making the playoffs, perhaps getting a week 11 home game, going farther than any team in school history, and for a few even the realistic goal of winning state.

Thank you for explaining it. I really didn't want to get into the ridiculous way in which the AP or any other media poll is constructed. :-D

earp
S

Post by earp »

Right on!Could'nt have said it better myself.GAHS always has some insightful posts! ;-)

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... gahs - you and I both know that the ONLY poll worth reading is "Pfloyd's Elite 8 in Southern/Southeastern Ohio" LOL ...

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

Unless you play for Massilon, then they mean everything!

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

THE STATE POLLS ARE A JOKE. JUST LIKE THE COLLEGE POLLS.

Return to “Football”