Re: Future Oak Hill Sports Complex

Post by madpolecat »

Very nice looking plans.

How will the facility be paid for?

MinnyAckMack10
Freshman Team

Post by MinnyAckMack10 »

I like that setup... thanks for the pics!

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

I think this will end the debate of who has the best facilities in Southeastern Ohio (although I hear Portsmouth's will be nothing to sneeze either)!!

I presume this is funded by Oak Hill Banks (now Wesbanco) money. If so, it's great to see an individual put his money into the community, and even better, for the kids. Congrats Oak Hill...will be an awesome facility when completed.*

MightyOaksFan
SE

Post by MightyOaksFan »

http://www.oakhill.k12.oh.us/index.php? ... 7&Itemid=2

Evan Davis of Oak Hill Banks paid for most of the first phase with the community pitching in the rest.

The rest of the project is to be paid by donations as well. I don't think that Evan Davis will be the main contributor to this. You can only ask a guy for so much.

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

art_vandelay wrote:I think this will end the debate of who has the best facilities in Southeastern Ohio (although I hear Portsmouth's will be nothing to sneeze either)!!

I presume this is funded by Oak Hill Banks (now Wesbanco) money. If so, it's great to see an individual put his money into the community, and even better, for the kids. Congrats Oak Hill...will be an awesome facility when completed.*

The facility, by looking at the pictures, will be one of the best around...but...how will this improve Oak Hill's athletics? All this money goes into an athletic complex but without improvement from the actual teams it will seem to be a waste in my mind. I just think people are gonna say "well atleast the stadium is nice"

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

The true fans will appreciate the new complex but I think all the posers will agree with me to an extent

MightyOaksFan
SE

Post by MightyOaksFan »

The Riepo Man wrote:
art_vandelay wrote:I think this will end the debate of who has the best facilities in Southeastern Ohio (although I hear Portsmouth's will be nothing to sneeze either)!!

The facility, by looking at the pictures, will be one of the best around...but...how will this improve Oak Hill's athletics? All this money goes into an athletic complex but without improvement from the actual teams it will seem to be a waste in my mind. I just think people are gonna say "well atleast the stadium is nice"

How is giving young people a nice place to play a waste?

Incognito
Varsity

Post by Incognito »

About time for a new baseball field. Course they get one after i graduate. In all seriousness place looks very nice. Somethign the community can be very proud of.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Riepo: whether or not the facilities impact the Oaks' performance in their respective sports is irrelevant. The point is that they have decided to commit a large amount of money to benefit their kids (and community tangentally). I think it's awesome and hope one day South Webster will be able to improve their facilities with a similar project.

MOF: Mr. Davis is such a good person, that he probably wouldn't mind contrbuting more money to the project (although he's done so much for Oak Hill Schools already, that nobody would blame him if he didn't want to contribute anymore!). I've had the opportunity to meet him a couple of times and he is just a normal, down-to-earth individual. Some people give money/charity for the recognition. Well, I truly believe the money he has donated to Oak Hill Schools has come from the goodness of his heart for the overall good of the community and its kids.*

buckeye21
JV Team

Post by buckeye21 »

Very nice plans but it's still missing a couple of new outdoor basketball courts.

battlecats
JV Team

Post by battlecats »

This will probably be built before the Portsmouth complex with the way thats going....very slow.

MightyOaksFan
SE

Post by MightyOaksFan »

buckeye21 wrote:Very nice plans but it's still missing a couple of new outdoor basketball courts.

The ones we had were once nice from the recent ones all the way back to the ones at the pool. People just don't know how to appreciate and take care of things.

oak_a_holic
Freshman Team

Post by oak_a_holic »

buckeye21 wrote:Very nice plans but it's still missing a couple of new outdoor basketball courts.

Well actually from what I was told, they are converting the tennis corts into basketball courts. Dont hold me to my word though. But it does kinda seem like a good idea because we dont have a tennis team? :?

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

On the Field House plans it only show bleachers on one side and they don't appear to be very big. Is that all that will be in there?

Foolsgold
Riding the Bench

Post by Foolsgold »

As for the complex it will be one of the nicest around. As for the programs getting better I believe it’s going to take two things, one numbers and two cut out the cronyism and favoritism that is deeply embedded it the school.

Many kids get frustrated because they are not in the click and just don’t participate. Sad but true.

MightyOaksFan
SE

Post by MightyOaksFan »

Favortism? Is there an instance where one player was better than the other and did not get to play?

As far as the tennis courts, they have been trying to get a team for the last few years as well as golf.

oak_a_holic
Freshman Team

Post by oak_a_holic »

Yeah I heard about that but I didnt think it was going to happen. Id love to have a golf team. Thatd be fun!

Foolsgold
Riding the Bench

Post by Foolsgold »

If you have been around OH at all you know it the favoritism is true or just don’t want to acknowledge it. You have a lot of kids who get fed up with it at an early age and just stop trying.

It’s not only bad in athletics it’s also terrible in the academic side also.

As for Golf. A couple of years ago the father of a student worked hard to get it golf in OH, even got the approval of the board at FV and found a coach. He even offered to help financially but ultimately the school didn’t go thru with it. Many kids showed an interest but ended up disappointed.

MightyOaksFan
SE

Post by MightyOaksFan »

I agree with at an early age some players get tired of sports, but I also think that if you go to any town in the whole United States you will find the same issue.

Is it sad, yes I agree it is sad. But overall I think that you would find that those same kids that got frustrated and quit would quit later on.

I suggest Upward to anyone. Don't want it to take away from anyone's rec league, but everyone gets to play and a positive message is taken away from it. If parents are dedicated then the player could do both leagues. Tough but can be done.

Upward has football and basketball plus cheerleading in Jackson right now.

Return to “Football”