PORTSMOUTH DAILY TIMES coverage

warhoop
Waterboy

PORTSMOUTH DAILY TIMES coverage

Post by warhoop »

If you have been dissatisfied with the Times coverage of area high school football, or lack thereof, please take a moment and phone them to voice your opinion. 740-353-3101. Apparently there is someone there that believes only two teams need covered each week. I think I was more comfortable when I only "thought" they felt that way...but to actually hear them say it!!??!! I'm not making it up....that's exactly what I was told. ??? Is that okay with everyone????

MuletownManiac
JV Team

Re: PORTSMOUTH DAILY TIMES coverage

Post by MuletownManiac »

It was alot better this week, ecspecially if your a Wheelersburg, West or Minford fan.

bean counter
Waterboy

Post by bean counter »

what 2 teams?

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

I already called,,to cancel them

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

Still cant figure out why the new 'sports' ;-) editor cant figure it out that we would like to see STORIES on local high school sports. Is it really that hard to have the new 'sports ' editor, craft and Brett to cover the top three games, have the new 'sports' editor cover the one nearest the PDT AND have some students get a few paragraphs to the paper by the deadline. Heck, ole Josh reads and posts on here surely he can pass along the information to someone in the 'sports' department.

I have tried to be nice about the entire situation but if I had a student athlete I would be pitching a fit, especially if I had a senior. Where is the volleyball and soccer coverage? We all know how BAD the football coverage has been for the past few weeks. I'd be ashamed to be associated with the PDT. Please join with me and cancel your subscription.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

alabama mike wrote:Still cant figure out why the new 'sports' ;-) editor cant figure it out that we would like to see STORIES on local high school sports. Is it really that hard to have the new 'sports ' editor, craft and Brett to cover the top three games, have the new 'sports' editor cover the one nearest the PDT AND have some students get a few paragraphs to the paper by the deadline. Heck, ole Josh reads and posts on here surely he can pass along the information to someone in the 'sports' department.

I have tried to be nice about the entire situation but if I had a student athlete I would be pitching a fit, especially if I had a senior. Where is the volleyball and soccer coverage? We all know how BAD the football coverage has been for the past few weeks. I'd be ashamed to be associated with the PDT. Please join with me and cancel your subscription.

I aggree, lots of people make scrap books for their seniors,and getting lucky and having your epicture, or even youre name in the paper , can be a big deal to some.

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

biggdowgg wrote:
alabama mike wrote:Still cant figure out why the new 'sports' ;-) editor cant figure it out that we would like to see STORIES on local high school sports. Is it really that hard to have the new 'sports ' editor, craft and Brett to cover the top three games, have the new 'sports' editor cover the one nearest the PDT AND have some students get a few paragraphs to the paper by the deadline. Heck, ole Josh reads and posts on here surely he can pass along the information to someone in the 'sports' department.

I aggree, lots of people make scrap books for their seniors,and getting lucky and having your epicture, or even youre name in the paper , can be a big deal to some.

I have tried to keep a bind eye but enough is enough,last spring a nice picture of my son long jumping in track ,but wait it said it was Matt (not my son).Jose Hincke or the rest of the so called sports department are writing and covering like 10 year old kids :?

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

Buffalo65
Waterboy

Post by Buffalo65 »

There has been NO coverage of teams that play on Saturday!! When there is a HOME Saturday game there is NO reason someone can't cover it. Notre Dame has only 2 Friday night games and they won't be covered since they're away. Looks like the Titans won't get mention one all season!!!!

Whatever happened to the football stats? Thats just printing what is called in. High school students put together a more competent school paper than these jokers.

Incognito
Varsity

Post by Incognito »

i know of one parent whose only child is a senior this year and his school never gets any stories. She has since turned to the Scioto Voice's articles for her son's scrap book. IMHO The Scioto Voice's coverage is spectacular comapred to the portsmouth daily times.

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

What did they have on the Portsmouth-Jackson game? I sent them the box and some information on the game. Enough to do at least an expanded writeup. Just curious.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I too dont consider throwing stats only on page 2 or 3 of the Saturday morning sports section an article about the game.

The PDT does not want to cover these games. I understand they cannot afford to cover ALL games. But they could cover more than 1-2 teams, especially when 1 of those teams stinks this year.

This is the bottom line folks-

They wont spend the resources covering it because they THINK you will still buy their crappy paper no matter what they do.

Go with the Scioto Voice.

I also wondered why the big write ups on other sports, MLB, NFL, etc, that is taking the place of what they could be filling in with write ups on local teams, players, coaches etc. The answer is very easy- they are putting in Associated Press articles because it is copy and paste.....no leg work in it.

If is not copy and paste, you are not going to see it. It just simply takes up too much time for them. I am not sure what they spend the rest of the time doing, but its apparent that all of the exploitation and complaints of their work on this site, as well as phone calls, will not fix the problem.

EAST 2005-2008
Freshman Team

Post by EAST 2005-2008 »

My daughter sent them a "colorful "email.Our entire family both sets of grandparents, aunts,uncles etc cancelled the second week of football.She is compiling a scrapbook for her son,a senior ,and he wasn't even mentioned another player was given credit for his achievements.She too has turned to the Scioto Voice.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

ttt

TAR HEEL FAN44
SE

Post by TAR HEEL FAN44 »

I have heard it is getting bad down there. They need to do something about that.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

They have a new group in. Only Bret Bevens of Waverly is still writing for them. All the others have moved on to other jobs or departments. From my understanding, those they have in have little to no experience. It takes awhile to build a system that works to co-ordinate all the different sports and coaches. It also take the desire to do so.

A previous editor and I was talking a few days ago and they were saying that when they were there, there was a new sports editor who wanted to cover just one football game a week. They would cover it really well and cover everyone once... And they thought people would be happy with one good week of coverage a year. This editor did not put up with that attitude and made them cover more--but it was a fight.

The bottom line is that fans and parents would love GREAT coverage but they want at least ADEQUATE coverage of all the sports. Volleyball, soccer, cross country, golf, tennis and football all should have at least a paragraph or two written on each game/match called in. AND then they should be working on creating enough rapport with the rest of the coaches who are not calling in and get those games called in too. Coaches get tired of calling and it not showing up or not showing up for days.

The Times is doing better now than the first two weeks of the season. But it is still not adequate and the damage to their relationships with the coaches may take years to repair.

The Times needs to be able to pay more to get in a better and more stable staff. These guys that are there may become the best around but there is a steep learning curve that could be eased by having an experienced professional in there.

Good luck guys. Work hard at getting in as much as possible every single day. And if it would help, I have a master soccer schedule put together--day by day with all the games for all area teams listed. It is yours for the asking. Just email me off the moderators' list. (I even have all the soccer coaches phone numbers and most of their e-mails!)

sportsfan_1959
JV Team

Post by sportsfan_1959 »

It may take a while for a "new" staff to become experienced and develop a system. But in the meantime the people who are paying to read their work are getting a subpar product. Where is the refund for these subscribers? No other job in any market would tolerate such a terrible product. This is a travesty. The only message that will be understood is to cancel a subscription and never buy a copy of this newspaper. Then maybe the powers to be at this newspaper will listen. Talk is cheap, actions are heard louder. Turn to the Scioto Voice, they have excellent coverage.

Trojan Spirit 76
Waterboy

Post by Trojan Spirit 76 »

In response to Bleeding Red's post about i team stinking this year and still getting covered...I am sure that is aimed at my Portsmouth Trojans....the only reason we had coverage was because we played in the county....went to Jackson last week....No coverage what so ever...this is not right to any of these kids...no mater what school they are from

Buffalo65
Waterboy

Post by Buffalo65 »

There have been other schools that have played in the county and have yet to see ANY coverage!

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Trojan Spirit 76 wrote:In response to Bleeding Red's post about i team stinking this year and still getting covered...I am sure that is aimed at my Portsmouth Trojans....the only reason we had coverage was because we played in the county....went to Jackson last week....No coverage what so ever...this is not right to any of these kids...no mater what school they are from

If you dont think that a 1-3 record for a Portsmouth team stinks, sorry you dont agree with me.

There are other schools that have played plenty of games in Scioto Co and no coverage.

I think that I speak for alot of other people when we dont want to read every week about a slumping Portsmouth team when we have plenty of other good programs to be covered every week.

I dont see how you would disagree with that. Heck, when Portsmouth had really good teams a while back I loved reading about them.

Scioto Co has approximately 80,000 people, Portsmouth makes up 20,000 or so, about 1/4 of the population. Alot if what is considered "Portsmouth" is actually Sciotoville, Clay and Notre Dame. So that is why people are getting tired of the same ole coverage.

Return to “Football”