Ohio's Winningest Coach - Top 4

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Ohio's Winningest Coach - Top 4

Post by kantuckyII »

These four are kinda in a class of their own or I'd have the Top 5 here..but seeing how I love stats and figures and facts..I thought I'd post 'em as I love this sort of thing.

# 1 is Terry Malone, Hamilton Badin - His record is 360-117-8 - 75% *

# 2 is Bob Lutz, Ironton St. Joe, Ironton High 349-77-5 - 82% *

# 3 is Al Hetrick, Versailles 325-93-4 - 78% *

# 4 is Pat Mancuso, Leetonia, Cincinnati Princeton 323-100-14 - 76% *

* I did not include the tie numbers in the win % because all future coaches will not have ties figured in their stats so I simple discarded everyone's tied game figures. Percent rounded off to the neartest 1/10 and is current up to today's date. All are retired but Ironton's head Coach Bob Lutz.

boilermaker
SE

Re: Ohio's Winningest Coach - Top 4

Post by boilermaker »

Good Luck Coach Lutz :idea:

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Looks like next year will be the year for Coach Lutz to become the winningest coach all time in the State of Ohio, that's awesome.

tigerdad
JV Team

Post by tigerdad »

when Lutz's get's the record, He will not make a big deal of it, Just another win. Thats just his style.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

True Tigerdad but..we'd sure love to see it come to pass! ;-)

loyaldevilfan
JV Team

Post by loyaldevilfan »

This is a good post.....I really never could figure out why Lutz decided to retire before he got the record and then I think he realized that football is in his blood...It shows what kinda guy he is, when he doesn't care about the record, all he cares about is winning football games. I think this record couldn't go to a finer man.... Congrats in advance to coach Lutz, it is well deserved....

gotigers
Freshman Team

Post by gotigers »

tigerdad wrote:when Lutz's get's the record, He will not make a big deal of it, Just another win. Thats just his style.

I guarantee the quote will be... "It just means I've been coaching a long time and had a lot of great kids."

GO TIGERS!!!

loyaldevilfan
JV Team

Post by loyaldevilfan »

^^^^^^^ I agree,Just shows how classy a guy that he is....

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

HE'S PUT IRONTON ON THE MAP, AS WELL AS THE PLAYERS, AND ALL THE FINE ASSISTANT COACHING STAFF , THROUGH THE YEARS. ANY WHERE YOU GO, IN THE COUNTRY, THEY'VE HEARD OF IRONTON FOOTBALL, I KNOW THIS FOR A FACT.

GOOD LUCK TO A GREAT MAN. I PERSONALLY THINK IF WE TIGHTEN UP. WE CAN GET 10 MORE OF THOSE WINS THIS YEAR.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

you don't know what you are talking about. i've been in many parts of the country, and true football fans , know about ironton, that follow national high school football. it's not just because of bob lutz, but the kids , the playoff record, amazing assts. through the years, players going to so many varied d1 college football programs. ohio state, marshall, clemson, michigan state and the likes of those, as well as well known smaller schools. anmd when they go there they play, and start. just not be on the roster.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

black and blue. what community are you from. serious question.

earp
S

Post by earp »

Ya its true!I have talked football with alot of people in alot of states and alot of them know about Ironton! ;-)

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Please, I didn't post this to start an argument or to cause some kind of controversy. I just thought it was interesting. From what I understand, the thread was even moved while I was at church last night and brought back later after I asked about it.

I do think it's interesting that the coach who now has 11 more victories than Coach Lutz also has 40 more losses...that's something that so often get's overlooked as well as the fact that Lutz has coached for 38 years (this is his 39th season) and only has 1 losing season in all that time!

(uh..all stats and figures are from IrontonFootball.Com ;-) )

sprinter14
Varsity

Post by sprinter14 »

I posted this on another thread, but it is worth repeating.

I am a native of Ironton and now reside in Chillicothe. I am still active in another sport and I have competed in MANY different states. Prior to moving to Chillicothe, when I would sign in and list my hometown as Ironton......you would be surprised at how many times someone came up to me at some point in the night ready to talk high school football because they recognized Ironton, Ohio as a football powerhouse.

Congrats to coach Lutz, but I am really worried about what Ironton will do when he is gone. 2 years ago proved that the Tiger Faithful weren't so faithful when someone new stepped in. It will certainly be interesting to see if they petrify coach Lutz and prop him up on the sidelines in the year 2035 just to keep the Tigers and the fans motivated!!

Riverrat Tiger
Freshman Team

Post by Riverrat Tiger »

I agree with Go Tigers, Coach Lutz will put all the praise on the players, he always has. Coach Lutz is total class, always has been and always will be. Those that don't believe that either have no clue, or just simply need the answer, because they JUST DON'T GET IT and never will!

loyaldevilfan
JV Team

Post by loyaldevilfan »

I heard the argument before this post was taken down and then put back up that all those wins just mean you have been a coach for a long time...Well in a way that is true, BUT....you would not be a coach for a long time if you were not winning games year in and year out.....and I think if you look at coah Lutz wins compared to his losses those numbers speak for themselves....He has had some great talent throughout his career but it takes a great coach to figure out how to utilize that talent....Kudos to Coach Lutz and I hope he get's honored after this great accomplishment.

As for Lutz putting Ironton on the map....I have family that lives in Owasso,OK and they have heard about Ironton Football...As a matter of fact my cousin even knew who the coach was.

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

Just last year USA Today had an article in it, in fact I have a copy of that paper, listing the active coaches in the country with the most wins in each state. Bob Lutz was listed as the coach with the most wins in Ohio.

I was sitting in the Shoe a few years back, about to watch an Ohio State game and they had listed on the Jumbotron, the coaches to be inducted into the High School Hall of Fame that year and Ironton's Bob Lutz was one of those coaches. Dave Lucas of Coal Grove was another. What an honor for these men.

I'm very proud to say that I know Bob Lutz and his family. It also made me proud that he was from my home town, Ironton, Ohio.

Mouth's Better Half
Varsity

Post by Mouth's Better Half »

Good post Kantucky and RiverRat Ray,
It makes me proud too. I think the best thing about the Ironton Coaching staff is that they truly care about their athletes.I know other schools have caring coaches but top to bottom in all sports, there are coaches at IHS that anyone would want to influence their child. Coach Lutz seems to take it in stride and always put the spotlight on the athletes. Coach Burcham is the same way. I can't wait for him to surpass being the winningest coach. 82% chance of winning --- I'd take that coach and those odds any Friday night!

someoverkill
JV Team

Post by someoverkill »

Coach Lutz will put the credit to the players and his coaching staff. When you think of men like Pat Sheridan, Mike Burcham, Lynn Shrickel Gene Jones, Mark Lewis, Louis Fogelsong, Tom Ben, Jeff Handley, and Paul Fugitt. man, that is just flat out great coaching. The people of Ironton truly will never know the true value of having that kind of coaching staff in the 70's and 80's. Ironton enjoyed tremendous fundamental coaching and discipline. Having all of your coaches in the school with you all day was a tremendous asset to have.

I believe Coach Lutz may have this record for many years to come. However, kep your eyes on a coach by the name of John Reed at Coldwater. He is 143-28 in just 13 seasons there. Sounds very familiar doesnt it. Coach reed has 2 state football titles and 2 state title runner ups in just 13 years. If he gets longevity, he may make a run at this. He is probably going to get at least 12 or 13 more wins this season.

Great topic.

Return to “Football”