Re: Derek Arnold of Nelsonville-York

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

What are his plans for the summer? Will he be attending college camps? I am not referring to team camps, but rather college combines, including individual university programs and Nike, Sparq, etc. programs? I realize his resources are limited, but surely someone at or around NY would flip the bill for this kid. This needs to be done if he wants to be recognized. Colleges aren't just going to show up at his games. For instance, Ohio State almost never offers a "borderline" OSU prospect unless they have seen him personally in camp after the Junior season. I am certain other schools are very similar in that respect.

IMO, he needs to work on maximizing his small-space explosiveness/ his shuttle time. This will be his meal ticket. He will also need to improve (IMO) his 40 time. I think he lacks DI college break away speed right now, but for a guy his size, his shuttle time will be the most important ie. Mike Hart, Boom Herron.

Some numbers of backs with similar size and style to shoot for...

Dan "Boom" Herron: 40yd-4.55, vertical jump- 37", Bench- 355, Squat- 550, No Shuttle Listed

Maurice Wells: 40yd-4.44, vertical-31", Bench-320, Squat-450, Shuttle-4.38

bucksfan08
Freshman Team

Post by bucksfan08 »

i would love to see him go to several camps, this boy deserves all of the attention he can get!!! I think its a great idea for him to hit up some BIG 10 camps especially with his size, he'd make a great back, Or in the Big east, but for this boy to go anywhere means a lot for a program and a school as small as NY

NY BUCKS
All State

Post by NY BUCKS »

I have arnold at 1,546 yards rushing.not offical but what i have.

MariettaPride21
S

Post by MariettaPride21 »

what does he run his 40 in?

zebra77
Varsity

Post by zebra77 »

Arnold must have had over 250 yards on kickoff returns to ga along with his rushing total, he is definately a game breaker, region 19 looks to be a tough region to come out of this year, GOOD LUCK TO THE BUCKEYES!!!!!!

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

MariettaPride21 wrote:what does he run his 40 in?

I'm not sure, and I'm also not sure anyone could give an accurate answer until he runs at a real combine.

I would say if Scout.com were breaking him down, they would say...

Strengths: Toughness, Vision, Agility, First Step

Weakness: Break Away Speed

Size should not be an issue, as the college realm is filled with RBs under 5'10"......

He has break away speed for the high school level, but right now he is not a burner at the college level. However, Mike Hart at Michigan and Boom Herron at OSU are both guys with similar size who do not have "break away" speed at the college level. They have good vision, are explosive in the first 10 yards, and shifty. I think those will be the keys to Arnold's recruitment. He will need to test with a good short burst and run a good shuttle time. It also would not hurt to improve the break away speed (40 time) just for good measure.

buckfan84
All Conference

Post by buckfan84 »

I have heard that the University of Cincinnati is looking at him.

4 HORSEMEN
JV Team

Post by 4 HORSEMEN »

Derek is a great worker............ He put about 20-25 lbs worth of muscle on his frame from last year to this year, and I think you will see at least 20 lbs more next year. That would put him at about 207 lbs. He did all of this while also adding a step of explosiveness on his running speed.

Derek works hard in the weight room, on the high-speed tredmill, at plyometrics and and in everything he does. He has absolutely NO ego!!!!!!!! (I really don't think he has any idea how good he really is).

As far as speed is concerned, I think that his "football speed" is probably much better than his 40 time. He is someone that just seems to reach that other gear when he needs to find the goal line.

He is the type of kid that I would BEG a college to take a look at and take a chance on................. He would not dissapoint them.

91Buckeye
Varsity

Post by 91Buckeye »

IMO breakaway speed is overrated. This kid has explosive acceleration, good agility, and always seems to make the first guy miss. To me those are the important things. :122249

NY BUCKS
All State

Post by NY BUCKS »

^^^^^^^^ and he SCORES ALOT.

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Post by grizzlynatural »

Now ya know...Logans Clay Morgan graduates this year. They'll be needing a RB like him next year :lol: :lol:

Just playing.

Are there films of him floating around online by any chance?

NY BUCKS
All State

Post by NY BUCKS »

Arnold would NEVER GO TO LOGAN keep wishing he is A BUCKEYE

MariettaPride21
S

if i was him i would

bucksfan08
Freshman Team

Post by bucksfan08 »

thats cuz youre from marietta....BUCKEYES dont do that. =]

NY BUCKS
All State

Post by NY BUCKS »

MariettaPride21 wrote:if i was him i would

Your tigers already having a hard time with the seoal add arnold behind logans line.Just think what the stats would be. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Joedirt
Freshman Team

Post by Joedirt »

NY BUCKS wrote:
MariettaPride21 wrote:if i was him i would

Your tigers already having a hard time with the seoal add arnold behind logans line.Just think what the stats would be. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now watch out Buckeye fans,he gets upset and tell's you to stick to being a fan,cause you don't know football. :) :-D :122245 :lol:
Arnold is a quick striker with excellent vision.

bucksfan08
Freshman Team

Post by bucksfan08 »

Im pretty sure us buckeye fans know football. lol...he doesnt wanna open that can of worms.

NY BUCKS
All State

Post by NY BUCKS »

True very True.LOL

MariettaPride21
S

bucksfan08 wrote:thats cuz youre from marietta....BUCKEYES dont do that. =]

no becuase i would much rather play for a tough D2 team that wins year in and year out than play for a D5 team
he would get more looks(college) at logan

bucksfan08
Freshman Team

Post by bucksfan08 »

you really think a boy of his talent isn't getting looks at nelsonville?? He's not just a story around SEO, its allover the state. The boy has done wonders for the last few years, this year isnt a fluke.

Return to “Football”