2009 Warren Football

warriorfootballer
Riding the Bench

2009 Warren Football

Post by warriorfootballer »

blah
Last edited by warriorfootballer on Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WHSBaller27
Waterboy

Re: 2009 Warren Football

Post by WHSBaller27 »

In my opion Warren needs to get stronger and faster if they achiveve this goal. Then they will be able to compete with Ironton and other teams that are stronger and all around bigger than them. The key to this would be hitting the wieght room all offseason.

WHSwarrior
Varsity

Post by WHSwarrior »

And they will.

If there's one thing I've seen about Warren in the Bolen/Pifer era, they aren't afraid of the weightroom.

warriorfootballer
Riding the Bench

blah
Last edited by warriorfootballer on Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WHSwarrior
Varsity

Post by WHSwarrior »

Me, too.

I don't think your senior leadership will be a problem, but I can see some of the laziness you speak of. I've got a few players in mind.

One of the things Warren needs to concentrate on is getting their best athletes out for football. We'll need a new kicker...does the soccer team have any impressive juniors or seniors?

coal miner's son
Freshman Team

Post by coal miner's son »

Warren's football coaches should be pushing hard to get their players to play a winter sport and a spring sport. Athletes play sports, weightlifters lift weights. EVERY sport at Warren lifts weights, boys and girls. The reason the key players play other sports is the reason they are the key players. Very few good football players ever just played football. Athletics is 90% psychological. The only way a kid because psychologically more mature and stronger is to be in situations that force them to get a job done. Whether this job is making a free throw to win a game, getting a take down in overtime of the league match, making a hit to score a winning run or running your fastest time in the 200 to help you 4x200 relay team win a track meet. These examples are far more important and a lot more benefitial to helping a kid become a better football player than lifting weights all winter, spring and summer. We are talking about kids who will only get to play these sports once in their life. A kid does not have to be a state champion or be an all state player, but allow himself/herself become a more well-rounded individual.

warriorfootballer
Riding the Bench

blah
Last edited by warriorfootballer on Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coal miner's son
Freshman Team

Yes, you are right. Those that are not playing do need to do something. It would be nice if there was some kind of equipment that you could buy that kids could practcie blocking and tackling, as well as working on their foot speed and agility.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

coal miner's son wrote:Warren's football coaches should be pushing hard to get their players to play a winter sport and a spring sport. Athletes play sports, weightlifters lift weights. EVERY sport at Warren lifts weights, boys and girls. The reason the key players play other sports is the reason they are the key players. Very few good football players ever just played football. Athletics is 90% psychological. The only way a kid because psychologically more mature and stronger is to be in situations that force them to get a job done. Whether this job is making a free throw to win a game, getting a take down in overtime of the league match, making a hit to score a winning run or running your fastest time in the 200 to help you 4x200 relay team win a track meet. These examples are far more important and a lot more benefitial to helping a kid become a better football player than lifting weights all winter, spring and summer. We are talking about kids who will only get to play these sports once in their life. A kid does not have to be a state champion or be an all state player, but allow himself/herself become a more well-rounded individual.

Very well said and I agree 100%.

Auburntgrfan
All Conference

Post by Auburntgrfan »

The big guys need to find the wrestling room. Many of the linemen for other schools and colleges were/are HS wrestlers. A great example was Luke Fickle a multiple state champ on the mat and an outstanding lineman for OSU. Participate in something/anything.

runhallerun
Freshman Team

Post by runhallerun »

baller,

'a couple of the greatest wrestlers - Warren will ever see'.

Let's be careful here, and understand that I appreciate your youthful exuberance here, but there have been some really, really, good wrestlers come through the program there at Warren. Be careful when you post things like that - Harlow has yet to wrestle a match, and trust me, Warren has had much better wrestlers than Dunfee and Sebring, heck, Dunfee's dad was better than him - Did you ever see his dad wrestle??? Your history book is much too thin to be making statements like the above.

That being said - good luck in the weightroom!

warriorfootballer
Riding the Bench

blah
Last edited by warriorfootballer on Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

air4ce1
Freshman Team

Post by air4ce1 »

There were several kids that were already in the weight room today! Football season is all year around for warren. Good luck warriors!

WHSwarrior
Varsity

Post by WHSwarrior »

The year-round season is new to Warren, having arrived during the Bolen/Pifer era...it's a good thing. Bigger, faster, stronger is the best mantra, and Warren really seems to try to follow it all year long.

You can't improve strength and speed during the season, that's why the offseason exists.
But--that 'weightlifting' opportunity shouldn't discourage someone from playing two or three sports. The two- and three-sport athletes are some of the most well-rounded athletes you'll ever find, and those skills serve just as well on the gridiron.

swamisez
JV Team

Post by swamisez »

Is Pifer going to be around next year, or will Warren have another new coach?

coal miner's son
Freshman Team

Do you know something or are you being sarcastic? We all know the current history.

Bubblegumhuffy
Riding the Bench

Post by Bubblegumhuffy »

I have also heard faint rumors of Pifer possibly departing, but nothing substantial. I hope the Warren boys go at it hard in the offseason. they have done a lot this year toward the future, and i think they remembered what it feels like to win and have fun playing the game.

hardrock21
JV Team

Post by hardrock21 »

Warren does have one heck of a wrestling history, the wall speaks for itsself. Probably the most succesful program in Warren history. Although they've been down a bit since 03/04 seasons. The new coach has been trying to get numbers back up, hopefully he gets things going this year again. But the point is looking on the wall you will see some names that were some of the greatest athletes in Warren history, yes wrestling helps espicially for the big guys. Builds agility, good hand/feet skills and endurance. If these boys arent on the field they should be on the court or mat.

WHSwarrior
Varsity

Post by WHSwarrior »

Funny. Probably not all 10, but SOME of those victories will be ours.

Rumors have been flying around Pifer since his wife left Belpre Schools last school year.
He's lain a great foundation, and I think the Warren fans are more willing to give him some time to build it after this year. Personally, I hope he stays.

Cupboard's not bare, we just need to polish some of the new cups.

Return to “Football”