Region 19 Final - Liberty Union v. Bishop Ready

fuzzhead
SEOP

Region 19 Final - Liberty Union v. Bishop Ready

Post by fuzzhead »

Congrats on your 3rd ever playoff berth and your nice run, LU. But methinks the run comes to an end this weekend. Ready is really tough and could probably beat/compete with most of the playoff teams in 4:15.
They showed against Portsmouth West what they're capable of against a one-dimensional offense and from what I saw Saturday, LU's O is just that.... Dustin Love... and not much else...
Where will the game be played?

Good luck!

RogueWarrior1965
Varsity

Re: Region 19 Final - Liberty Union v. Bishop Ready

Post by RogueWarrior1965 »

I predicted going into this year that Ready would be the # 1 team in region 19. They have access to kids from throughout Columbus which is obviously a huge advantage for them. I wish LU luck and actually hope they win, but I don't think they will.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

RogueWarrior1965 wrote:I predicted going into this year that Ready would be the # 1 team in region 19. They have access to kids from throughout Columbus which is obviously a huge advantage for them. I wish LU luck and actually hope they win, but I don't think they will.

I predicted the same thing. I drew heat for it on here and I got a little nervous when they dropped during the season after two of their games got cancelled, but here they are proving us right. They'd have been #1 coming in if it wasn't for those two cancellations.

JoeGatto
JV Team

Post by JoeGatto »

fuzzhead...LU's offense is so much more than just Dustin Love. Mix, Magley, Weaver, Makuch, McCord, and Kovach are big parts of it as well. If you are basing your prediction and your assessment of LU solely on one performace I'd recommend you watch some films or something. You'll see that the Lions have many offensive weapons.

I too predicted that this region would come down to Bishop Ready and Liberty Union both on here and on the huddle and I too caught flack for it. But having seen lots of football in both Southern Ohio and Central Ohio, I knew which area was clearly stronger.

GO LIONS!

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Interesting Final....

I actually played for Valley when Liberty Union came to town and beat us 27-7 in the playoffs back in 99, they had good athletes and a good squad. I was at the game in where I watched Valley dismantle #1 Bishop Ready 28-6 a few years back.

I have heard that LU really gets to the football, and holding Burg under 15 yards in a half is pretty darn good. I think it's going to be a great football game.

Bishop Ready 21

Liberty Union 24

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

If LU's offense plays as lethargic as they did against the Burg last Saturday for the first 3 quarters then this game will get out of hand quick. Their offense was almost non-existent for 3 quarters and only moved the ball on the Pirates in the 4th because they finally wore down the small defensive lineman of the Burg. Ready is huge on the lines from what I've heard and are very quick at the skill positions so I think Ready wins this one pretty handily. My guess is around 35-14 or 35-10.

Good luck to LU though. I'm hoping you win.

black76
JV Team

Post by black76 »

Ready 24 LU 7

lionpride
Waterboy

Post by lionpride »

Funny how all last week the Wheelerburg folks insisted that there was no way LU would wear down their kids and now by their own admission that is what happened.

Now for like the 7th week in a row, everyone is picking against the Lions. Each week the task gets tougher and each week these boys step up and find a way. This is far from a one dimensional team and that has been their best weapon all season. You never know who is going to step up and make a play to propel them to victory. You stop one thing and it opens up another. Sometimes it takes them a while to figure out what it is and to adjust to the other team, but they eventually do and they never give up.

Ready is another very tough foe, but these boys will go to work and prepare for them. They will be ready for Ready on Saturday and will lay it on the line and see what happens.

Lions - believe in what you know and what got you to where you are - teamwork. Feel pride in knowing you have a chance to be the best there has ever been at Liberty Union and don't let yourself have any regrets when it is over. Prove teh neysayers wrong once more - your fans believe in you. Leave it all out on the field and bring it home!!!!

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

I have always thought Ready was the top school in R19. As a private school, they have an unfair advantage over all of the public schools. They recruit football players from throughout Columbus/Central Ohio. A school like Ready will never be an underdog in any playoff game against a public school, regardless of the rankings. If Ready loses to a public school, it will be one that is state championship material.

Having said that, I would rather see Liberty Union win this game, even though my money is on Ready. I like nothing more than to see a public school knock off a private school.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:I have always thought Ready was the top school in R19. As a private school, they have an unfair advantage over all of the public schools. They recruit football players from throughout Columbus/Central Ohio. A school like Ready will never be an underdog in any playoff game against a public school, regardless of the rankings. If Ready loses to a public school, it will be one that is state championship material.

Having said that, I would rather see Liberty Union win this game, even though my money is on Ready. I like nothing more than to see a public school knock off a private school.

I disagree with that, the Valley Indians crushed Ready just a few years back 28-6 in the playoffs before losing in the regional championship 26-21.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

NY also has a win over Ready in the regular season back in '91. However, more times than not, a private school like Ready is going to defeat a public school in our Region be it regular season or playoffs.

Look at how many of our state championships in all six Divisions have been won by private schools.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

FrozenRope9 wrote:fuzzhead...LU's offense is so much more than just Dustin Love. Mix, Magley, Weaver, Makuch, McCord, and Kovach are big parts of it as well. If you are basing your prediction and your assessment of LU solely on one performace I'd recommend you watch some films or something. You'll see that the Lions have many offensive weapons.

Sorry, but I'm not following you. Mix wasn't that impressive against Burg, who according to you comes from a weaker area. If I remember rightly, he only completed like 6 passes (4 or 5 in one quarter). It just seemed like LU would much rather run the ball straight up the gut as to go to the air.
From my count, they had 250 total yards of offense and Love had 111 of those yards (a good bit of them coming on that 40+ yard run in the 4th Q). Now defensively, they were very impressive. But if that's their strategy in the cold, against a higher-seeded team - WATCH OUT!

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

I agree with NYBuckeye96 , But

GO LIONS :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

JoeGatto
JV Team

Post by JoeGatto »

Hmmm let's see....it's been cold the last two weeks....LU has also been the lower seeded team (underdog) and guess what, they've still won. So I don't follow you fuzzhead. I don't know what was so hard to follow about my post. I said you need to have seen more LU games than one to appreciate their many offensive weapons.
By the way, a win is a win regardless of how many passes you complete or how little total yards you put up. I'm sure your team wishes they were still playing.

GO LIONS!!!

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

FrozenRope9 wrote:Hmmm let's see....it's been cold the last two weeks....LU has also been the lower seeded team (underdog) and guess what, they've still won. So I don't follow you fuzzhead. I don't know what was so hard to follow about my post. I said you need to have seen more LU games than one to appreciate their many offensive weapons.
By the way, a win is a win regardless of how many passes you complete or how little total yards you put up. I'm sure your team wishes they were still playing.

GO LIONS!!!

Wheelersburg isn't even in the same league as Ready. As people have alluded to on this thread, Ready is a private school from the Columbus area with ties to all of the surrounding talent (and there's a lot of it).
What I'm not following is the fact that you say that Wheelersburg is from a weaker area and that Liberty Union's area is "clearly stronger" - but at the same time, you want to take credit for beating the favorite.
I'm sure LU has had more than one play-maker this year, but if they look the way they did against Wheelersburg, why should I believe anything will change against Ready - the defending Region 19 Champ?
Do you have any stats from the 1st round game? You've sparked my interest. I want you to know that I'm not trying to be a "know-it-all" or a jerk, I'd love to see the Lions pull the huge upset, but you have to realize that it would be just that: A HUGE upset.

blue53
All State

Post by blue53 »

C.B.R. in a close one. 17-14

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Ready does not get kids from all over central ohio and the columbus area. All the catholic schools have certain areas around their schools where the kids must live. some kids live in Desales area, some in Watterson and so on. The school that really has an advatage as far as getting kids from every where is columbus academy. Bishop ready big.
NYBuckeye96 wrote:I have always thought Ready was the top school in R19. As a private school, they have an unfair advantage over all of the public schools. They recruit football players from throughout Columbus/Central Ohio. A school like Ready will never be an underdog in any playoff game against a public school, regardless of the rankings. If Ready loses to a public school, it will be one that is state championship material.

fb4ever
Waterboy

Post by fb4ever »

Yes Ready is very good, or they wouldn't be in the Regional Championship Game. However, that being said, Ready did not dominate West. West gave Ready a short field with a good kicker, down 3, Ready one long trick play pass, down 10, one poor tackling play, long run late in 4th quarter, down 17. Ready did hold the ball on several time consuming drives only to punt. West is a one diminsional offense, RUN, RUN, and then RUN. They tried to become a passing team in one week and that is not possible to do and be effective. Liberty Union however has been able to throw the ball when necessary. They dont try to pass, they try to impose their running will on the opponent, if that doesn't work, then they try to impose their running will again, if that doesn't work, then they pass and are very effective at it. Ready will be the most balanced team Liberty Union will have faced since week 6 or 7. The game against Wheelersburg really was never in question. One big pass play for Wheelersburg and nothing else. Liberty Union will need to play more disciplined on defense to stop both the pass and the run or they will get suprised.

bigdaddyblitz
Riding the Bench

Post by bigdaddyblitz »

fb4ever wrote:Liberty Union will need to play more disciplined on defense to stop both the pass and the run or they will get suprised.

I agree, and I have full confidence in Dan Johnson, Ron Owens and the rest of the Lions Coaching staff. Those two have coached at LU for 23 years together, and have played the likes of the columbus area private schools and Col Academy. They know they must be two dimensional, while playing tough D and sound special teams. I'm sure theyve been working on it all week.Great weather for practicing this week. They were able to get 2 good 3 good dayd in, before the rain started. Lets go Lions. Prove them wrong and beat the Knights. Definitely a "doable" feat.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Funny how all last week the Wheelerburg folks insisted that there was no way LU would wear down their kids and now by their own admission that is what happened.

Yes, Wheelersburg defense did wear down in the second half, but that's what happen when your defense is on the field for 90% of the half against a huge offensive line. It was still 7-0 Burg going into the 4th quarter and the Burgs inability to move the ball on offense kept the defense on the field way to long.

Yes Ready is very good, or they wouldn't be in the Regional Championship Game. However, that being said, Ready did not dominate West. West gave Ready a short field with a good kicker, down 3, Ready one long trick play pass, down 10, one poor tackling play, long run late in 4th quarter, down 17. Ready did hold the ball on several time consuming drives only to punt. West is a one diminsional offense, RUN, RUN, and then RUN. They tried to become a passing team in one week and that is not possible to do and be effective. Liberty Union however has been able to throw the ball when necessary. They dont try to pass, they try to impose their running will on the opponent, if that doesn't work, then they try to impose their running will again, if that doesn't work, then they pass and are very effective at it. Ready will be the most balanced team Liberty Union will have faced since week 6 or 7. The game against Wheelersburg really was never in question. One big pass play for Wheelersburg and nothing else. Liberty Union will need to play more disciplined on defense to stop both the pass and the run or they will get suprised.

You are kidding, right?? LU couldn't do squat against the Pirate defense for 3 quarters. Like I said above, the Burg defense was just on the field to long in the second half and it wore them down. Had the offense been able to get anything going in the 2nd half to give them more than a 3 and out rest I believe they could have actually won this game 7-0, but they couldn't and LU took advantage of that.

Also, if the Burgs QB had just a little bit more arm strentgh it would have been an entirely different game. #32, Andy Stegman was behind your DB's all night long but our young QB just didn't have enough oomph on his passes to get the ball to him. One of your own coaches even admited that as they were leaving.

Good luck against Ready.
Last edited by Burg_Grad_77 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Football”