ironton 2009

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Re: ironton 2009

Post by kantuckyII »

Well, actually, I think that the most exciting thing that you could have heard down that was Biggdowgg was that Portsmouth is building Ironton a brand new playoff stadium there ;-)

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Its a long ways away from 2009. A lot of things could happen either good or bad. As long as they get in the weightroom and start working now and not wait for the summer and if they come out in shape to play the game I think we can see some big things from next years team. the off season in the weightroom and trackis where games are won. Thats where you get that work ethic and winning habit from those days like that.

pembrook burrows III
JV Team

Post by pembrook burrows III »

We need a lot less size and a lot more speed on defense in order to compete for championships. Today's high school offenses make us cover the whole field, and we haven't proven lately that we can do that against the best.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Less size? No what we need is more consistant play and more heart.

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

more consistent play and more heart? The less size thingy, I understand where we could get that. The more heart and more consistency? How do we accomplish that TC?

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

I remember seeing Courtney Lewis 5'7" 150 play nose guard a few plays against Logan and I was impressed with his ability to penetrate and get into the back field.

fighting_falcon
Freshman Team

Post by fighting_falcon »

Football has changed but Ironton hasn't. Until they get the defense fixed they will have fans get on here and declare they can walk on water then get beat by every decent team with speed. You see it in college today, Big Ten vs SEC or Big 12. Speed over size. Lutz has had a great career but this part of the game he has not changed with.
See they results the last few years, Burg, Portsmouth, Logan, heck even NY put points on them.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

tigercannon71 wrote:Its a long ways away from 2009. A lot of things could happen either good or bad. As long as they get in the weightroom and start working now and not wait for the summer and if they come out in shape to play the game I think we can see some big things from next years team. the off season in the weightroom and trackis where games are won. Thats where you get that work ethic and winning habit from those days like that.

I agree they need to get in the weight room but there is no-one on the Coaching Staff that knows anything about the current day weight lifting prorgams. The prorgam they are using is out dated by 10 years.

Carl Spackler
Riding the Bench

Post by Carl Spackler »

As I said in another post. You can't play the 5-2 and cover the new offense's that alot of the good teams are running now. Speed wins today, not size. When Ironton played New Lex it looked like New Lex had there basketball team on defense. No slow fat tackles. They beat Ironton to every gap and corner. You would think that size could just line up and run at speed, but when size cant get off the ball fast enough to keep speed out of the gaps and off the corner it puts you in alot of 2nd and 9 and 3rd and 6 situations. The day's of run 1st and pass only when forced to are over. It takes smaller, faster more versitle players to play the pass and the run.

jenna's daddy
Waterboy

Post by jenna's daddy »

good post spraker. I wish Ironton would go to the defense that Wheelersburg plays.
Unless you are Mooney or Stuebenville...you are not going to beat most good teams that throw the ball. My opinion is...with the roster that Coach Lutz has to go 7-3 is a testament of how good of coach and coaching staff he has. they play a brutal schedule and to go 7-3 is super. they actually could have gone 9-1. but the basic 5-2 defense is not going to work against most good teams. they gave up almost 400 yards passing against Westfall and had no answer for New Lex. remember.. they don't have 55-65 kids playing..more around 30 and most play two ways. in the hey days they had way better lineman that were around 220 to 240 lbs that were pretty quick and had super fast tailbacks. thay tend to be bigger on the line now with not as much quickness and the backs are good but not as fast either. I have watched Ironton since 1973 and the offense and defenses are the same. but the game has changed. play a more blitzing D and throw 12 to 17 times a game and still run the ball. I hate to admit it, but I wish they played more like a Wheelersburg team plays today. smaller and quicker.

Carl Spackler
Riding the Bench

Post by Carl Spackler »

You are correct!!!

Another thing that hurts Ironton is that I believe they are hovering just inside div. 4 size.

Does anyone know how far they are from Div. 5?

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

This is one season when it was better for ironton to be in D4...at least region wise. I believe Region 19 D5 was tougher than region 15 D4. Ironton lost to Burg, who lost to West. those teams also bowed out in round 2. I dont believe Ironton will be D5 anytime soon.

gotigers
Freshman Team

Post by gotigers »

OSU 77 wrote:
tigercannon71 wrote:Its a long ways away from 2009. A lot of things could happen either good or bad. As long as they get in the weightroom and start working now and not wait for the summer and if they come out in shape to play the game I think we can see some big things from next years team. the off season in the weightroom and trackis where games are won. Thats where you get that work ethic and winning habit from those days like that.

I agree they need to get in the weight room but there is no-one on the Coaching Staff that knows anything about the current day weight lifting prorgams. The prorgam they are using is out dated by 10 years.

I guess Dave Coburn, who is a partial owner of a fitness center, doesn't know anything about current day weight training?!?! Some of Ironton's former stars that are now playing college ball go to him for weight training and agility training, but I am sure it is because that want to get out-dated, 10 year old, stale advice. Stick to topics you actually know something about and leave the Ironton Fighting Tiger discussions to people who actually care about the Ironton Fighting Tigers; NO MATTER WHO THE COACH IS!!!

GO TIGERS!!!

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

85inside wrote:more consistent play and more heart? The less size thingy, I understand where we could get that. The more heart and more consistency? How do we accomplish that TC?

That comes with each individual player digging deep and deciding he wants to be part of a team and not an individual. It comes with each guy showing up day in day out to practice, summer weightlifting, meetings or whatever and being there to work. it comes from taking pride in wearing that stripe on your helmet. I think we have lost that in recent years. We dont have that winning habit that desire to be the best anymore. Used to Ironton had that swagger bout them because they knew on any given night they could beat anybody and when they took the field home or away the opposing team was down 7 already. Now thats not there. Its a false bravado our teams have. They might try to swagger, but they dont have the power to back it up because they are putting in the blood sweat and tears in the off season.

You guys keep going back to the New Lex game. Heck fire you could have put a jr. High team out there and they way Ironton played they would have gotten beat. Thats no indication of anything except Murphys law going horrible wrong for Ironton.

Watch High School football 95% of the teams still line up and run at you. High school football is about running the ball. Yea it be nice if we had a medium passng game instead of taking long shots down the field all the time, but to win in high school you run the ball with a sprinkling of a pass thrown in occasionally. Watch the state games and you will see the teams that can run win the games.

Going back to the size and speed. If you work in the off season in the weightroom you can have size and speed. If spped was all their was then the NFL line wouldnt average 325lbs theyd all be about 275 and quick, but they arent.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

gotigers wrote:
OSU 77 wrote:

I guess Dave Coburn, who is a partial owner of a fitness center, doesn't know anything about current day weight training?!?! Some of Ironton's former stars that are now playing college ball go to him for weight training and agility training, but I am sure it is because that want to get out-dated, 10 year old, stale advice. Stick to topics you actually know something about and leave the Ironton Fighting Tiger discussions to people who actually care about the Ironton Fighting Tigers; NO MATTER WHO THE COACH IS!!!

GO TIGERS!!!

Very true about Coburn.

ItownBrowns
Freshman Team

Post by ItownBrowns »

It is a misnomer that Ironton always runs the 5-2 umbrella zone. If you were watching the games against Westfall and NL you would have seen that I'town usually was in 4 and even some 3 man fronts. Lutz isnt dumb he adjusts his defense according to what a team likes to do. As far as the speed theory, your right. I'll bet nobody in town would love to have more speed to work with than coach Lutz. Guys with great speed and athletizism don't grow on trees. Plus you cant make a kid much faster than his God given ability will allow him. Now you can make them stronger, smarter and more fundamentally sound. Athletizism is what I see lacking from the kids these days as compared to the past. Speed is only one component of athletizism. Good athletes have hand/eye coordination, instincts, agility and speed.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

It is good to know they have someone that is knowledgeable but if he is not with them daily to push the players then the weight program will not work. Is he with them daily pushing them and working with them?

PS Also don't assume I don't care about the program

Mouth's Better Half
Varsity

Post by Mouth's Better Half »

OSU77,
We have on staff -- Coach Coburn and he is with them everyday -- he is a Coach.
Why the negativity OSU77?

Tigfan
Riding the Bench

Post by Tigfan »

Also, something we need is a scheme where the qb runs. Watch the state games and you'll see. It works a little in the NFL, great in college, and fantastic in high school. We need deception on O to keep the defense guessing and on D we need to attack instead of just sitting back. Unless we have 1989 like linemen we will always run into a buzzsaw.

Mouth's Better Half
Varsity

Post by Mouth's Better Half »

Good post ItownBrowns,
You can't make an athlete smarter. If athletes can't remember the play or where they are supposed to be in a defensive pass coverage play and you practice and practice it. But you are right , pure athleticism is rare these days. A Brigham Waginer, Dennis Gagai, Mandy Boykin only come around every once in a while.

Return to “Football”