FED HOCK PEOPLE ONLY!

?whoknows?
Waterboy

FED HOCK PEOPLE ONLY!

Post by ?whoknows? »

federal hockings football team doesnt directly make any money. the band runs the concession stand and the admission goes to the athletic department. then the coaches ask for stuff and it either gets approved or denied (usually denied). the band has 8 people and the team has fifty. we dont have proper equipment at all. who do you think should get the money from football games, the football team or the band.

redeagle
Riding the Bench

Re: FED HOCK PEOPLE ONLY!

Post by redeagle »

This is horrible! Maybe you should follow in Eastern's footsteps & just get rid of the band. Then there is no arguement for who gets concessions.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

The band members and parents earn the money that they get to use. Maybe the football team should hit up businesses and sell cards for $20 that are good for discounts at local businesses.

california kid
Varsity

Post by california kid »

greens football boosters runs and gets concession sells money

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

I am not a Fed Hock person but I will add something to this. I hope you don't mind.

First, it is sad that Federal's band has dropped to 8 members. We have gone through the same thing at Belpre when last year we had 13 members, 8 played instruments and only 5 took band as a class in grades 9-12. We had to cut staff and with 3 music teachers on staff, K-12, 1 had to be let go. It was the high school band director since he had the least senority. Thus, we had no marching band this year. We still offer instrumental music starting with 5th grade and the hope is that the numbers will come back up and marching band can be restored very soon.

Second, we have 2 concession stands at Belpre. Prior to this year, the band ran both and kept the profits. They also cleaned up the field following the games. The gate receipts, money from the fall program adds etc went into the budget of the athletic department. This helped to pay for equipment purchases, transportation costs, referee salaries etc of the athletic department, regardless of the sport. The board pays the coaches salaries. This year, the band boosters decided they could not run 2 concession stands as they have too few parents to run them. The athletic boosters took over the visitor concession stand and keeps the profits. The money is not funneled just into football. Football does their own fund raisers, as do the other sports. The School supplies major equipment needs including uniforms. The boosters will buy some of the extras like funding the weight room, maintaining the all-weather track and other large items the district can't afford. We paid $7,000 on the new lights at the football field. (Total project cost - $100,000 the rest was from community donations including $24,000 from the Board of Education). We would have liked to pay more but that is all we had to give. I think the band boosters even kicked in a $1000. We also kicked in some money to the new sceince labs at the high school (nearly $80,000 has been spent on this to date and we are now working on renovating the Biology labs, this was all community donations including $10,000 the Board had previously set aside for the renovations). One alumni gave $10,000. ($7,000 to the labs and $3,000 to the lights).

Schools budgets are very tight. Look for school budgets to be cut another 10% at the state level next year so it will be even tighter.

The key is to work together. The right people in the right places can work wonders. Our Lighting Committee was headed up by folks who did not even have kids in school anymore. The same thing for the committee that was raising money for the new sceince labs. There are lots of folks out there that will help out if you just ask, even if they don't have kids in school.

Our major fund raiser last year for our Athletic Boosters was our reverse drawing. We profitted over $10,000. A nice dinner, catered, and a dance for the ticket buyers at the VFW.

Best of luck in these tough times and sorry for being so long winded.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

mister b is right you all have to work together. you can't get anything done if you don't in this day and age. in logan the band get all of the concession stand money. and i think the football team get all of the ticket sales. both do raffels throughout the season plus do fundraisers. etc...... not to sound bad or mean but, i was at fed hocks field this year for my sons biddy league football game.... you guys need some help..... the service from the parents was great! but, the facilities needs some help.stwart isn't that big but, athens county is. couldn't the band or football team sell things at the gas station off of 50? do bake sales, sale t-shirts, raffel off a trip or getaway night at a hotel, chinesse auction. there is lots of things you can do. you just need the ppl to do it. 8 kids is not alot but, those 8 kids love doing band and that should be enough for some supporters to kick in some money.

Tcat wahoo
Waterboy

Post by Tcat wahoo »

Bring back Duck to coach.

Spider1
Waterboy

Post by Spider1 »

They took band out of the elementary when the buildings went K-5. I think they may bring it back now that Coolville and Amesville are K-6 again?
Band has just not been a priority for the administration for the last 10 years or so. Budget cuts have been massive. Don't forget that school populations and band numbers at most schools are down. This is what is left...a few kids.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

OK, here's the deal, at least how it has been explained to me. Back in the day when Fed Hock had a huge band, the band boosters built the concession stand, and thus, got to run the stand, and reap the profits.

Well, the existing concession stand is in deteriorating shape, and the band boosters are strapped to adequately staff the stand, period. If you want to wait 20 minutes in line to buy a $1.25 bottle of water, go at it. I've been to all the home games for the last four or five years, and I can't recall the last time I spent a dime in the concession stand.

A few years ago, when one of the failed levies was on the ballot, there were funds appropriated within the levy to build a new concession stand, with tax payer money. This would have ended the band booster monopoly on the football concessions, but again, the levy failed.

If the football boosters want a concession stand, I say build one, as obviously, the one that we have cannot serve all of the people that attend the games.

One thing that I would like to see, whether there is a second concession stand or not, is that whoever is receiving the profits, is made responsible for the clean-up at the field the very next morning. If this expectation were put into place and enforced, we may have very well avoided the big brouhaha this fall between Coach Springer and our Superintendent.

The band boosters have some gig right now, sell all the food and pop that they want, and walk away and leave the mounds of trash to others. That, in my humble opinion, is a big problem. :122248 :? :shock:

Rutterkickballer
Freshman Team

Post by Rutterkickballer »

Careful koondogger. I doubt you guys can beat the dancers now that we have a topflight kickball program in place.

meanyneenee88
Waterboy

Post by meanyneenee88 »

Was told by someone working in the concession stand during a reserve football game that Holzer Clinic is willing to help with expenses and that plans were drawn up.
The stand would be situated at an angle so those working in the booth would be able to see the scoreboard/field, and this needed to go before the school board for approval. Even though it is old and was in use way back when I was in school, the food being served is GREAT!!!

Spider1
Waterboy

Post by Spider1 »

If Holzer is helping building it, build one for each group (Band and athletics), or half for one, half for the other. Or a concession stand on each end of the bleachers.

If no outside help, the athletics should be allowed to build one on the vistor end with their own money/donations.

Whoever sells the concessions should be in charge of cleaning-up or paying someone to do it (yearbook staff, etc.).

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

In my previous post, I prefaced it with "as it was explained to me". I have since been further educated on this subject, and here's the deal, from someone "in the know".

Years ago, the Fed Hock school board adopted a policy that all outside concessions go to the band boosters, and all inside concessions go to the athletic boosters. So, in essence, all basketball and volleyball concessions go to the athletic boosters. Football, baseball, softball and track go to the band. Their funds are distributed to all sports, including football. The football program also has their own fundraiser.

Now, for this to change, one of two things has to happen. Either the school board changes their policy, or the band program gets eliminated due to a lack of participation or funding issues. If the band program is eliminated, then the school board would obviously have to revisit the issue.

Purple&Yellow Pride
Freshman Team

Post by Purple&Yellow Pride »

Hey Mikey T! Glad to see you back on here. You seem to have turned over a new leaf as your posts are a lot nicer. How is weightlifting going at southern?

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

Why not have just ONE booster club and divide the money up as needed?

0restes
Waterboy

Post by 0restes »

mt11 wrote:BIGGER, FASTER, STRONGER!

76 points will be hung on you guys again.

Return to “Football”