SEOAL losing yet another school!

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

SEOAL losing yet another school!

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

First, it was Charter Member, Athens announcing they would leave after the 2007-2008 season to join the TVC-Ohio. That sent a shock wave in the SEOAL.

Second, it was Zanesville announcing they would leave after the 2008-2009 season to revert back to independent status and stay in the OVAC.

Now Ironton will be leaving after the 2009-2010 season, I assume to revert back to independent status.

Who is next? Rumors have already spread about Marietta joining the OVAC again and playing in a makeshift league with Zanesville and other OVAC Teams. Warren has already tried to transfer into their old conference the TVC, but was told no by the TVC-Ohio. Will they leave the SEOAL to, if Marietta departs?

That would leave the SEOAL with 5 teams if that takes place. What is the future of the SEOAL?

How can the surviving teams strengthen there bonds and make the league strong? Now, lets see if there are actual civil responses, or the usual resident experts making smerks, especially coming from those that never played the sport or played anything in the SEOAL. Let's see if there can be a real dialogue or like always, the usual........those famous resident experts stating, as they have earlier, that the SEOAL will not lose members, the SEOAL is here forever, even if the last three charter members, Logan, Jackson and Gallipolis stay together as a league. :roll:

Well, we see it happening, and as usual, the resident experts were wrong again. The ultimate question is, how can we stop the bleeding and encourage the other teams to stay and make it work?
Last edited by BuckeyeCAV on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:24 pm, edited 6 times in total.

madpolecat
All State

Re: SEOAL losing another school!

Post by madpolecat »

The SEOAL is doomed.

In a world where making the football playoffs is a realistic possibility (eight teams in a 25-team region can make the post-season) for anybody, playing for the pride of league titles is meaningless.

A coach is not successful enough when he wins a title. Making the playoffs is the new prestige. Conference ties and loyalties are a thing of the past, folks.

Everybody wants their team in the a conference where it has a chance of getting the eight wins it typically takes to make the playoffs.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Re: SEOAL losing yet another school!

Post by Bleeding Red »

The main factors have to be 1. Economy 2.) Fuel Prices

fuel for the buses isnt cheap. When you look at the travel distance for some of these schools in all sports, it is more cost effective for them to be independent and play a more local schedule. Now take into consideration working familes that must travel sometimes 2 hours or more to go watch their kid play after missing time of work to leave early to make the game.

The SEOL is so spread out that it is better for the teams to be independant.

Waverly is in a nice location to join the SEOL. They are D4 and match up with many of the other schools as far as # of boys. They could leave the SOC II and Portsmouth could join.

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

Bleeding Red wrote:The main factors have to be 1. Economy 2.) Fuel Prices

fuel for the buses isnt cheap. When you look at the travel distance for some of these schools in all sports, it is more cost effective for them to be independent and play a more local schedule. Now take into consideration working familes that must travel sometimes 2 hours or more to go watch their kid play after missing time of work to leave early to make the game.

The SEOL is so spread out that it is better for the teams to be independant.

Waverly is in a nice location to join the SEOL. They are D4 and match up with many of the other schools as far as # of boys. They could leave the SOC II and Portsmouth could join.

Waverly was in the SEOAL from 1970-1983. But chose to leave the SEOAL and go back to the SOC where they came into the SEOAL from. Why would you want to replace Portsmouth with Waverly? Why not keep Portsmouth and add Waverly back to the league. That is, if Marietta, Warren and possibly Logan leaves. I could not see Waverly rejoining the SEOAL with Marietta or Warren due to travel. And likewise, if Logan was still in the SEOAL. But if Chillicothe, Jackson, Gallipolis and Portsmouth was the league, I could see Waverly thinking of coming back in the SEOAL.

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Post by WitnessProtection »

BuckeyeCAV

Where did you get the info about Ironton's alleged departure?

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

It was voted by the Ironton BOE. Check the thread out.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54184

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

that's what i was wondering, i love the seoal. we'll have to travel all over to get games any way. now the kids can't play for league honors. i think the town is traveling better to the games now. it was home crowds not showing up that hurt our attendance. the crowd was unusually small , when we faced jackson, a team that at the time was like 5-1. and ranked high in d2. and the reserve section was at best half full. as well as general admission.

Army
S

Post by Army »

Interesting isn't it :?: :-D

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Post by WitnessProtection »

I saw the thread, but can't find it in print anywhere on the net.

Army
S

Post by Army »

WitnessProtection wrote:I saw the thread, but can't find it in print anywhere on the net.

PM Amen Corner, I am sure he can give you the scoop.

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

WitnessProtection,

Check out the Ironton posters who know.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

With the difference in size and strength of the programs, the SEOAL is a joke and its time for teams to move on...

schenk11
All Conference

Post by schenk11 »

Marietta looked into but is not joining the OVAC.

GAHS7462
All Conference

Post by GAHS7462 »

Only time will tell.

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Post by grizzlynatural »

Ya know, now we have the same amount of teams as we did like 6 years ago. The SEOAL will be fine. Unless of course Marietta ends up leaving or something. THEN we'll all have to pack our bags and move on.

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

gallia academy and ironton to the ovc

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

If the OVC did let Gallipolis and Ironton in, there Conference just took a major step up. The only thing would be both schools would dominate for the first few years in football, but in the end South Point, Coal Grove, Rock Hill, Chesapeake, and River Valley would get better. Eventually being able to step up and defeat both schools in football. The only one having difficulties might be River Valley. In all other sports, the OVC would be fine. I think it would only benefit the OVC to take a step up in competition and let them in.

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

gahs4ever wrote:GAHS doesnt want in

They might want to re-tink that option, especially if more teams continue to exit the SEOAL in the near future :!:

You never know who might be next.

Oh, I forgot, the SEOAL will be here forever in your theory, even if it only exist with Gallipolis, Jackson and Logan as a League. Right? But doesn't the OHSAA have some kind of rule on the number of teams a league or conference must have? :-D

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

I would rather see Portsmouth and Jackson join the SOC II but that is not going to happen either.

Jackson
Portsmouth
Waverly
West
Wheelersburg
Minford
Valley
Northwest

or

Let NW move to SOC I in football.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo