Waverly Football 2009

Trivium5
Freshman Team

Waverly Football 2009

Post by Trivium5 »

After a disappointing 4-6 season, the Tigers are looking to bounce back and be right back into the run for the SOC II championship. The Tigers are returning the majority of their players lead by Roback and Malone. I would love to see those two "get nasty" and dominate next year. The Tigers need to get in the weight room and get stronger. They are young and inexperienced except for a few. I look for the Tigers to finish a heck of alot better than 4-6. The main focus is the D. They made alot of people baffled by how they went from 9 ppg in 2007, to around 35 ppg in 2008. Your thoughts and predictions on this years Waverly team?

bull rusher
Waterboy

Re: Waverly Football 2009

Post by bull rusher »

Coach Crabtree the Defense Cordinator I look for him to work his men into shape and work on that average....the Tigers defense this past year was their offense and I look for that to be a factor in them winning games this year,, I look for the O-Line to have the experience to buckle down and be a dominate force in letting Malone, Roback, Price, and Kretz score the majority of the touchdowns...

GL Tigers give em Hell :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

D Owens
Freshman Team

Post by D Owens »

They made alot of people baffled by how they went from 9 ppg in 2007, to around 35 ppg in 2008.

Those baffled people must be people who don't know anything about football. Graduating eight of eleven starters did have an impact.

We graduated everybody but the two outside linebackers and our free safety from the '07 team and this year only one of those three played defense on a regular basis.

We don't have a lot of guys like Ian Colegrove, Ramone Conley, Dalton Scott, Trent Noble, etc. standing around here and nobody else does either.

Seops123
Riding the Bench

Post by Seops123 »

But you do have guys like derek roback kevin malone shane price Rashaun conley Your line dosen't look ant thinner than previous years.

bull rusher
Waterboy

Post by bull rusher »

People graduate its something that happens, every player on the Tigers has had that year of experience they need to move on and contend for the SOC title again.

The players must relize the season should not be OVER after the Piketon game.

D Owens
Freshman Team

Post by D Owens »

John,

You wanna take this one? :lol:

bull rusher
Waterboy

Post by bull rusher »

How come if Waverly has a player that is this good of the D1 athelete then why hasnt he stepped up as the "top DOGG"

they need to be hitting the weights which I hear some are, more than others these weights are just another thing for the kids to let slide by like no big deal.

You dont have a team like Walls' class come through and when it does its goin to be a fun year for Tiger Fans....I still look for Waverly to outscore opponents and hope the Waverly D can actually show up to most of the games this year. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Bring the Heat
Freshman Team

Post by Bring the Heat »

If he is the "top Dogg" as your refer to him possibly the pups need to step up.

Last time I checked football is played with eleven on both sides of the ball and special teams
not 1.

bull rusher
Waterboy

Post by bull rusher »

maybe that is true but maybe the quaterback shouldnt take more carries than all the runningbacks...

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

You are aware that Waverly runs the Spread Offense, right?

The spread offense is a generic term used to describe an offense that operates out of a formation with multiple wide receivers, usually out of the Shotgun, and can be run or pass oriented. One of the goals of the spread offense is to stretch the field both horizontally and vertically, and to take what is normally most teams best defenders (linebackers) out of the game by utilizing three or more receivers.[citation needed]

Today variants of the spread are popular in high school and college football, with more modest versions appearing in the NFL.[citation needed] In college, especially, the offense often depends largely on option and misdirection runs, using all of the skill players on offense. The zone read is often a very popular play in this type of offense because of its flexibility, more so if a team has an athletic quarterback who can run the ball as well as pass. Linemen in the spread are often smaller and more agile so they can block effectively on screens, zones, options, and protect against aggressively blitzing defenses such as the 3-3-5 stack. As the defense, already spread out, begins to focus on stopping the run, the spread creates mismatches and single coverage on receivers, which creates opportunities in the passing game. Utilizing receiver motion along with jet sweeps is also an important part of creating confusion and running a balanced, yet successful, spread offense.[citation needed]

The success of the offense depends on creating mismatches (a linebacker covering a receiver), the ability for the quarterback and the receivers to find holes in the zone, and defensive breakdowns in the secondary (the receiver and quarterback both read that the safety will not rotate over to help the cornerback, so the receiver breaks to the outside or up the sideline with single coverage). Few defenses are able to cope with a well-executed spread run-pass threat, which is one reason why football scores have been rising in recent years.[citation needed]

The spread offense can also be used to energize the running game.[citation needed] By splitting out three, four or five receivers and employing a fast, athletic offensive line, the spread opens running lanes for the tailback, fullback and quarterback. Also, linebackers may be taken off the field to cover the receivers, resulting in ability for the defense to effectively tackle the running back. The primary responsibility of receivers in this case is downfield blocking, rather than pass-catching, as they spring backs for long runs.[citation needed] The offense relies on a quarterback who can call plays at the line of scrimmage, read the intentions of the defensive end, and keep the ball or pitch it to a back. The offense also uses short passes like a running plays, executing "bubble screens" that begin with a short, nearly-lateral pass to a speedy wide receiver to get him into open space. No-huddle spread attacks are also popular.

One popular variant of the spread is the "Air Raid" offense (pioneered by Hal Mumme), in which the offense may pass on over 80% of its downs.[citation needed] The offense is seen as being complex, though receivers need to know relatively few routes. The complexity comes from the different formations the routes are run out of. The running back in the Air Raid offense serves a useful role as well by catching passes out of the backfield, on screens, and carrying the ball on draw plays.

D Owens
Freshman Team

Post by D Owens »

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess, "NO!"

Bull rusher seems to be unaware of this fact, along with basic grammar, spelling, and sentence structure,

How come if Waverly has a player that is this good of the D1 athelete then why hasnt he stepped up as the "top DOGG"

not to mention the impact that graduation can have on football team.

People graduate its something that happens...

falconater
Freshman Team

Post by falconater »

It is about the Jimmy's and joes not the x's and O's.

Crazy Legs
Freshman Team

Post by Crazy Legs »

The team will go however Roback goes. I saw a couple games last year that basically the coaching staff and other 10 guys on the field said here is the ball good luck and try to score. Work on the offense a little instead of roback run right or left I don't care how good you are you can't run through 11 guys on "D" by your self !!

bull rusher
Waterboy

Post by bull rusher »

D Owens wrote:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess, "NO!"

not to mention the impact that graduation can have on football team.

wow, I think I was the one to say that graduation happens. Unless you are an English Teacher, which your NOT!!!! Leave the grammar alone.

I'm just expressing my opinion. John, I know what offense the Tigers run. I think that everyone needs to get off the Roback train and see what this Offense is actually capable of. The kids a great ATHLETE, not takin that away from him.

Soooooo, John did you think that whole post on the "Air Raid/Spread" Offense on your own, or did you copy and paste lol lmao hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

What is so danged funny about me cutting and pasting the text from wikipedia? It is about how the spread works and easier than typing it all out.

The point is, in most spread offenses the QB gets more carries than in conventional offenses. That is just the nature of the system. You guys get on here and act like there is some kind of conspiracy. Learn the game.

FarAwayFalcon
Varsity

Post by FarAwayFalcon »

It comes down to this, the spread only works when you can create mismatches. In years past, waverly's skill players have been bigger, faster, stronger, more experienced, etc. than most of the teams they played. This past year they were smaller, slower, and younger than most of the teams they played. Thus they didn't win too many games. The spread is a hard offense to run in high school because you cant gurantee you will have the athletes to do it every year like in college. Some years the start align and you have a great year, other years you have to scrap by with what you can and hope for better next year. I expect waverly to be much better next year.

Seops123
Riding the Bench

Post by Seops123 »

So you are saying that roback and malone are slow. They are two of the fastest guys in southern ohio

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

Malone and Roback are obviously two of the fastest people in the area, but the rest of the team wasn't. The line was slower, weaker, and less experienced than the last two years. The linebackers this year were inexperienced and overall less athletic, and they didn't have 3 huge stopgaps playing the Tackles and Nose guard spots which is very important in a 3-5. It was just a down year for the Tigers. Ironfalcon had a very good point. The spread offense is based on being able to stretch a team out vertically and horizantally, if you don't have players fast enough to do this and a line that is able to block in space you will have problems. Thats why so many teams in high school run a wing-t or option based offense, its not based on athletes as much as it is based on being able to outsmart the other team by using motion, double handoffs, traps, cross blocks, and creating double teams at the point of attack. Waverly is going to be up next year, but I don't think they'll be as dominant as they were in 06 and 07 for a long time.

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

I look for a good season out of these kids, a year under their belt should do them wonders.
Hows the new weight room working out I heard it was finished, has to be a vast improvement over the old one?
Is the 2009 schedule out?

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

The only change to the schedule is week 5, at Ashland.

week 1: Piketon
week 2: at Jackson
week 3: at Wellston
week 4: Vinton County
week 5: at Ashland
week 6: Minford
week 7: at West
week 8: Valey
week 9: at Burg
week 10: Northwest

Return to “Football”