Wk. 2 - Chesy vs Wayne WV.

robycop3
All State

Wk. 2 - Chesy vs Wayne WV.

Post by robycop3 »

Peake didn't open against Wayne this year, after Wayne had one game under their belts, as they had the last several years. This'll be the 2nd game for both squads.

Wayne has been good for several years, and will continue to be under Coach Harmon. Coach Clark has Peake stoked.

Wayne has a tuff away-game opener against Magnolia, a perennial Class AA power in WV as Wayne has been. I rate the Wayne-Peake game a hoss and a hoss right now.

YOUR thoughts, anyone ?

Ovcman
Riding the Bench

Re: Wk. 2 - Chesy vs Wayne WV.

Post by Ovcman »

Peake in a darn close one. 14 7

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

Misteroby wrote:Peake didn't open against Wayne this year, after Wayne had one game under their belts, as they had the last several years. This'll be the 2nd game for both squads.

Wayne has been good for several years, and will continue to be under Coach Harmon. Coach Clark has Peake stoked.

Wayne has a tuff away-game opener against Magnolia, a perennial Class AA power in WV as Wayne has been. I rate the Wayne-Peake game a hoss and a hoss right now.

YOUR thoughts, anyone ?
Just may have to go with Wayne. They beat Magnolia 66-30,,,if that was a tuff opener then nothing should stand in their way.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Chesapeake keeps with tradition and takes their annual loss from Wayne. If Magnolia is anywhere near as good as they usually are, that's a very impressive win.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

a very good matchup for week 2, my heart says chessy. my brain says wayne.hope my heart wins.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

After talking to friends from Wayne, Magnolia was "supposed" to be very good. Well, "supposed" means nothing when strap on the chin strap. I was told they were average at best.

I have not seen Wayne and I have a lot of respect for Tom Harmon and his program, but I have a hard time thinking they beat Chesapeake this year.

Reasons:
1. Chesapeake is huge up front and will imo control the line of scrimmage. Chesapeake for many years had a far more athletic team, but lost the battle up front and it made all the difference. I don't see that happening this year. This OL imo is as solid as I have seen in 6-7 years at Chesapeake. They are massive and these kids have played a lot of football. IMO this is where the game will be won and Chesapeake "should" win the battle in the trenches.
2. Difference makers. Chesapeake imo has two. Austin McMaster is as good an athlete you will find in the tri-state. At 6'5 he can throw the ball pretty well and once he gets those legs going he is difficult to catch. Javon Thompson is the other. THink back to the last real playmaker at wideout. I have to go back to Jeff Thornburg in 04. Javon is more like former wideout Josh Dillion with more ability.
3. A very steady running attack. Hintz is your classic scat back, he won't out run a lot of people but you better break down and tackle well or he will make you miss. Noble is the perfect fit at FB in this offense, he is physical and runs very hard. He hits the hole hard and will punish you. I was very impressed with Dillion blocking from the wingback position and at 6'1, 205 he is tough to bring down. I think Nate is probably the best combination of speed, power, and vision of all them.
4. This group has played a lot of football together and have heard that this is the year, and I believe it is. This group looked very solid v Oak Hill. I know this is not a great Oak Hill team, but they were dominated by Chesapeake. I don't think they got a 1st down until 2 minutes before the half. THey were dominated from the get go.

CHesapeake 21
Wayne 14

tigerfan98
Freshman Team

Post by tigerfan98 »

I would like to see Wayne play some powerhouses in ohio. I hear their good every year its hard to judge with wv schools. I think Chesapeake is really improved and they should win. Chesapeake 21 Wayne 12

greenwave2332
Waterboy

Post by greenwave2332 »

Chesapeake 28 wayne 21

Pioneer_PA
Freshman Team

Post by Pioneer_PA »

Chesapeake hasn't opened with Wayne to my knowledge. Those games were always Week 2 for Chesapeake. Sometimes they were Week 1 for Wayne, but not recently (02-03 was last time). Chesapeake has always played Portsmouth or Oak Hill first. This year's schedule is not new whatsoever on that front.

Magnolia was a very unbalanced team. They've got pretty good skill kids...two great ones and several pretty good ones, but their line is suspect and depth non-existent. They hadn't played Wayne since 2005. Magnolia gave up 44 points to Wayne in the second half Saturday night...they only allowed 48 in the regular season last year. Graduation hit them hard, and they are losing enrollment fast up that way.

Wayne physically just wore them down. I think Wayne only had to convert one or two third downs in the entire second half.

Chesapeake will present a great challenge for the Pioneers this week. The Peake is confident and won't back down. They have the horses to plow up front and race outside. They are a MUCH more complete team than Magnolia at this point.

That said, I think Magnolia would beat Oak Hill this year, but who the heck knows...as the Ironton fan said, it's not easy to gauge West Virginia and Ohio schools against each other.

I think it will be a great game Friday night and I can't wait!

Ovcman
Riding the Bench

Post by Ovcman »

less than three days away! :mrgreen:

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

Pioneer_PA wrote:Chesapeake hasn't opened with Wayne to my knowledge. Those games were always Week 2 for Chesapeake. Sometimes they were Week 1 for Wayne, but not recently (02-03 was last time). Chesapeake has always played Portsmouth or Oak Hill first. This year's schedule is not new whatsoever on that front.

Magnolia was a very unbalanced team. They've got pretty good skill kids...two great ones and several pretty good ones, but their line is suspect and depth non-existent. They hadn't played Wayne since 2005. Magnolia gave up 44 points to Wayne in the second half Saturday night...they only allowed 48 in the regular season last year. Graduation hit them hard, and they are losing enrollment fast up that way.

Wayne physically just wore them down. I think Wayne only had to convert one or two third downs in the entire second half.

Chesapeake will present a great challenge for the Pioneers this week. The Peake is confident and won't back down. They have the horses to plow up front and race outside. They are a MUCH more complete team than Magnolia at this point.

That said, I think Magnolia would beat Oak Hill this year, but who the heck knows...as the Ironton fan said, it's not easy to gauge West Virginia and Ohio schools against each other.

I think it will be a great game Friday night and I can't wait!
You're right; I'd forgotten Peake opened with Portsmouth for several years. (Senility kicking in!)

Last year, Peake didn't appear to be ready to play until they began their conference play. Not to take anything away from a good Symmes Valley team, but Peake hit bottom in that game. I couldn't attend any more games dueta work, but I was told they looked like a different team against their OVC foes.

Last Friday, they played as if they'd already had three games! Their timing and blocking schemes were on the money mosta the time, and Mc Master began hitting his receivers perfectly. The main work I see they needed was to perform a little more crisply on certain running plays, a little-better pass coverage of running backs, and a cutting-down of "silly" penalties.

Fatigue didn't appear to be a peake prob. That's good, as Wayne will have its usual stable of capable runners, so they'll always have fresh legs in their backfield.

GO, PANTHERS! Good Luck to Wayne the resta the season!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

GET R DONE PANTHERS

wolverine
Freshman Team

Post by wolverine »

panthers in a close one

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Chessy was up at half: 14-8

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Chessy up 21-8 (4th)

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Peake wins

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Nice win for the Panthers!

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Wayne most always has a decent team, congrats to "The Peake".

Pioneer_PA
Freshman Team

Post by Pioneer_PA »

14-8 was the final. Javon Thompson had an interception in the endzone with 10 seconds left to seal it.

Congrats to Chesapeake! As a Wayne fan, they have always had my respect for how hard they played over the years. This year, they had the men up front to take care of Wayne's offense...and having an athlete such as McMaster in the secondary that is nearly impossible to throw over...the matchup fit. As I mentioned earlier, Wayne has just 5 seniors, so they're not fully developed yet. Chesapeake's size inside was an incredible advantage. Those kids obviously work hard in the off-season.

Best wishes on a great season!

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

Good job peak and their coaching staff.
It is great to have all those kids returning and working hard in the off season!
Coach Davis I am sure is proud of these kids and the coaching staff!

Return to “Football”