Dover vs. Marietta

gotribe
Waterboy

Dover vs. Marietta

Post by gotribe »

Marietta just needs to survive the 1st qtr. and a 1/2. They start slow and get in a hole. Dover has beaten Ashland, Zanesville, Cambridge, among others to sit at 7-1 with only a 43-42(?) loss to Canfield. Lets go Tigers. Other thoughts????

el savior
Freshman Team

Re: Dover vs. Marietta

Post by el savior »

Dover by as many as they want.

pressboxchamp
Riding the Bench

Post by pressboxchamp »

If marietta executes their offensive game plan they can score a few touchdowns but no way in hell can they stop dover's offense.

mhsfootballfan
Waterboy

Post by mhsfootballfan »

With all due respect Pressboxchamp, from a MHS fan, what offense? We need to break the game down into single plays and not worry about the score. Every play just try to make a win on any given play. The only word I can thing of is Ouch!

gotribe
Waterboy

Post by gotribe »

Dover is about the same population as Marietta, Cambridge, New Philly. Marietta has tremendous athletes that surface in other sports and some who should be on the field suited up, but aren't. The soccer, volleyball, and basketball teams have been successful very recently. To hear people say the opponent by as many as they want doesn't sit well with me and it should not sit well with the players and coaches either. It has to start with the youth. Get them excited to be a Tiger. Extend halftime 10 minutes and let the peewee teams play a 10 minute game, let them run thru the paper before the game. The entire team should show up at jr. high games, or peewee games. Hey A.D., get the kids to actually sit at the games, instead of a social event. It is time for action. Cmon Tigers, show the heart and belief in yourselves Friday night we know you have.

bigcatmarietta
Freshman Team

Post by bigcatmarietta »

Go tigers
Last edited by bigcatmarietta on Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MttaFan
Freshman Team

Post by MttaFan »

Big Cat you make a very good but unfortunate point. Last years team was much more competitive and I think much more prepared week to week. Being young is a part of it as well, but I'm not sure the signs of progress are there. The JV scores are discouraging as well. This is not just a down year, it's a pattern that is becoming systemic. I have no idea what happened behind the scenes with Farnsworth and it's not important, but he seemed to know what he was doing on game night.

The other fall sports, and other sports year round at Marietta, have great numbers. For some reason our football program just can't draw enough student athletes to get the numbers that other schools our size have. That's a mystery to me.

This HC and staff seemed to be a last minute fill the gap type of hire. Let's start now and build a program. Get the touchdown club to committ to some coaching funds for three years. The district actually has money now and can find a staff/teaching position. Let's go find an experienced and proven program builder to take the program to the next level. Not necessarily somebody's friend, but someone who can build the program from the ground up, is charismatic to kids and the community, and can win. Target who we want and go get them.

About a mile across the Ohio River is a program that wins every year and has all the aspects of the kind of program we want. There are others out there as well without looking too far. Let's not settle for who we can get, let's go get what we want for our kids and the program.

gotribe
Waterboy

Post by gotribe »

Holy cow, didn't know until today and the downpour of rain that Marietta Tigers practice indoors when it rains or bad weather. Is that standard procedure anymore or are we trying to stay under budget and limit the amount laundry detergent we use? Something says to me, It is football. What if it rains Friday night, did it prepare us for the game by being indoors. Starting to really shake my head and wonder hmmmmmm.... I want to stay positive and will. The Tigers can end on a really high note these last 2 games by playing well. We need to get our kids in space on offense, that is our strength. Let Gearhart, Baker, Coffield, Wright etc. make a play one on one. Pounding it between the tackles has not worked and will not work with our non sustaining blocks. Quick hitters!!!!!! The Tigers should be sky high to play against a caliber of team like Dover. Good Luck Boys!

gtowntiger78
Riding the Bench

Post by gtowntiger78 »

We were more competitive last year, but how much of that was due to the teams we played in the seoal, versus now in the ecol?

You have to admit, the ECOL is a tougher football conference than the seoal. Look at how many teams in the ECOL are playoff eligible right now.

Is it about numbers?, or maybe it's more about how much talent is in those numbers? The Rosecrans proved it's not numbers.

Marietta has very talented athletes in the school system, most of them just are not playing football and until that changes, the current situation will not change.

Like it or not, Dover and Z'ville could hang 50 on us, and we only score late in the game when the first teamers are out of the game.

For the record, none of my kids play football,but I go to every home game to support the kids and to eat the consession food!!! Go Tigers!

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Dover can pick the score and yes, the ECOL is better as a whole than the SEOAL.

bigcatmarietta
Freshman Team

Post by bigcatmarietta »

I agree mttafan. But the article bob wrote also says Ike, and Stanton will control the team next year. So it don't look like there will be a search. Who knows. I'm don't understand how it got to be bobs choice to give the program away to anyone but he sure sounds confident that's what will happen.

tiger71
Waterboy

Post by tiger71 »

Good luck tigers. Class of 86 & 87 will be in town this weekend. Play hard and never give up. This is a golden opportunity this week. Playing a good program that as I read above. Start building for next year and finish off this year strong and competitive for our few seniors we have. From what I here we are at three now. Three good ones I might add. Two devils and a Bobcat. I'm proud of you guys. Seems like yesterday in the youth league. It is a shame that such a successful middle school class is down to three talented young men. What was it, lost to meigs as 7th graders. Then went undefeated as 8th graders. Very unique class as a whole. They beat everyone that year by heart and heavy hitting. Good luck, & bigcat. Eich and Stanton are good coaches. I would recommend to the board that they stay on next season. Just as not head coaches. You have to know high school football. Be in touch with the game at this level. Know how to manage the game. I do agree the ECOl is very brutal compared to the SEOAL. But, it wasn't long a go that Logan, Jackson, Ironton,Portsmouth were laying the smack Down as well. And a few others in that league, Gali can't forget them either. Any outsider reading this post. You read and see the complaints. Anybody around this town knowes, the tigers have never quite did well. The whole history is on Mariettafootball.com. We want a winner, we are going to have to have our boys push harder. People need to cheer for the team. And not just cheer when they here there kids name on the loud speaker like its a popularity contest. And of course stop settling for. Bob is an interim coach. He can't hand anything over. it has to be approved, as much as I like his appointed successors. They are no way ready for this. I expect more and so should the next fan here. Our history is not good or great. But, that does not mean it b
Can not change. We have the players now. A good coach will look at the history and the tons of videos that have been saved .And then decide what's best for this team. See coaching at this level is a passion, a dream. Not a 9 to 5 boring job just to supplement your income. Your experience is priceless, can't put a price tag on that. Now Mr. A.D, find that man. He is here, have the gulls to hire him before he ends up back at South.

thechosenone
Varsity

Post by thechosenone »

Dover names the score

tigerstrike2011
Waterboy

Post by tigerstrike2011 »

After seeing five games in person this year and reading this thread my thoughts are this. I agree with some that say the offense could be different and be better. These kids aren't good enough to run right at people. I also don't think that they are talented enough to throw the ball around either. I think a lot of people have forgotten about the losses the Tigers have had as far as players go. Comparing what happened last year to this year isn't accurate. This years team lost three seniors before the season even started. Those three players were two-way starters. So basically when they left the coaches had to replace 6 positions not just three players. Those losses have been very difficult to overcome. If those three players were on the team you would see a more competitive team. Not all of the blame can go to the coaches. I don't think there is any blame at all, it's just the way it is. Not a very talented team overall and young. Thats a recipe for a losing record. Touchdown Club is a step in the right direction that's the support the program needs. Most of the boys seem to have a decent attitude about the whole thing. I hope the seniors can enjoy their last two weeks as Tigers.

bigcatmarietta
Freshman Team

Post by bigcatmarietta »

Go tigers
Last edited by bigcatmarietta on Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

schenk11
All Conference

Post by schenk11 »

Bigcat, I think what is being referenced by the 6 wins is an article from the Marietta Times from April 21, 2011.

Exiting coach Craig Farnswortrh stated
"There is a good core group of returning players with experience. I look for the team to be improved and possibly be .500, or with a couple fortunate bounces, be 6-4. I wish the players the best and thank them for their hard work and willingness to do what it takes to get better. The next coach is going to have a great group of players."
Here is a link to the article: http://www.mariettatimes.com/page/conte ... coach.html

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

DOVER,56-0.

MHS_Soccer_Dad
Freshman Team

Post by MHS_Soccer_Dad »

41-0 at half.

gotribe
Waterboy

Post by gotribe »

UGLY 55- 14 . They took it Very easy on us in 2nd half.

mhsfootballfan
Waterboy

Post by mhsfootballfan »

A couple of points I would like to share today.
One, as much as I hate the butt kicking we took last night, I thought Dover brought a very classy, brilliantly coached, and very good sportmanship team. The score could have been worse.
Two, I'm so tired of all the crap about the coaching, I'm not saying you're wrong BIGCAT, actually, I think your exactly right. The coaching stinks and we've wasted another year. We've made strides in the support for the program (i.e. MTC) but have stepped back in the coaching. The players are whom I'm most sad for, they truly have given their all in every game.
Lets look at the future, and what we need to do. First, how to replace the awesome leadership Futrell and Gearhart have shown this year. I'm sure Leach will step up to help lead but now I challenge the other juniors to step up and help lead. To all the players, help pass the word, lets get the athletes sitting on their butts in the stands out on the field. Hopefully, we'll get the coaches to help.
We have a pretty good sophmore class, and the freshman definitely have some athletes that will be nice additions. Middle school, from what I've seen, is pretty good. How do we keep all of them?

So, for the future, better and more coaches, more players, and leadership. If we can accomplish all this we'll be a competitive program again.

Return to “Football”