fairland Board does it again

dragoncoach56
JV Team

fairland Board does it again

Post by dragoncoach56 »

A special meeting was held this morning and the BOE hired Dave Carroll as High School football coach. There are so many things running through my mind right now but the biggest thing is ,if,like me,you are distressed with the way things are done at fairland PLEASE get out in November and make changes. I don't know what the vote but it doesn't really matter. This board needs cleaned out in my opinion. If everyone is happy with the way things are going than I still encourage you to get out and vote for these guys. Either way a statement must be made about the way things are done at the place it counts most. The polls.In the big scheme of things football programs are secondary to a school system but there is no denying that providing the best possible leaders in extra-curricular activities is an important issue and not to be done in back room deals and who a person is, not what qualifications the person has.
Clayton Dement
Last edited by dragoncoach56 on Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

madpolecat
All State

Re: fairland Board does it again

Post by madpolecat »

What does anybody know about Mr. Carroll and his football resume?

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Why have a special Board Meeting? Was there anything else done at this meeting or was it just to hire the coach?
There is no time table to hire a coach. Guess the Board didn't want to have the people in the district there to voice their opinions.
This maybe a good hire and do not know Carrol but to have a Special Board Meeting to hire sure gives people something to think about this Board being dishonest again.

Hopefully this hire benefits the players more than it benefits the Board.

earp
S

Post by earp »

There is nothing crooked here!Jobs "ALL JOBS" are first posted to in house employees that might qualify,Then it goes to public posting if no one bids on it!Its a union job,Union members have first crack at it!This is how it works,Full time employees have bidding rights!And congrats to Dave,He deserves a shot! ;-)

buckeyes41
Riding the Bench

Post by buckeyes41 »

yep, here we go again!!!!!!!! why does the board keep having emergency meetings when they know no one can show or even know about them? the way I hear it, at least one of the board members (Brumfeild) wasn't even in town. I agree, it's time for change!!!!!! Nov. hopefully the people in this community has seen enough of the back door approach of this board!!! they never did any interveiws with anyone that applied???????????? doesn't make sense to me how you make your decision without speaking with these people. someone help me understand this!

bucking red
Varsity

Post by bucking red »

Everyone knew he was going to get the job no big surprise here.

tmacsports
Waterboy

Post by tmacsports »

They should get Dement, Carroll, Wilcoxen, Maddox, Ward together and let them decide who should be the head coach. Once those 5 choose the head coach, the other 4 should be assistant coaches and run the head coach's system. Maybe something like... Dement/Maddox defense, Wilcoxen/Ward offense, Carroll everything else/head coach.

Run the same system all the way down to the FYFL.

Just leave the Board out of it.

I think that would make a great coaching staff.

dragoncoach56
JV Team

Post by dragoncoach56 »

Thanks but I disagree. It should be a school employee. As long as they are qualified. This is their overtime as well as their profession. My gripe is not that fyfl system isn't run,it's that you need to hire the most qualified person. It is my opinion that Brent is more qualified than Dave. It is no secret I have always believed this. This is no secret to Dave as I have told him the same thing. I think Dave is one of the better basketball coaches in the area,but I think Brent would have been the best choice for the football job. My whole complaint is our board has to put personal feelings aside and get the most qualified person they are able to. That doesnt mean someone whose style reflects theirs or who they are related to. That is their only duty in this respect,no more no less. I wish Dave the same same that I wished Snyder,and that is I hope he succeeds.But in my opinion, we didn't get the most qualified person.Nor did they interview either candidate to my knowledge.
Clayton Dement
Last edited by dragoncoach56 on Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

Sounds like Fairland is going to be in for a long year next year to me.

greenandwhiteboy
Riding the Bench

Post by greenandwhiteboy »

i knew it was gonna be either carroll or wilcoxin. i think they should get to together and get next years team going it would a monster with them together cause next year they should run the spread cause they dont have the bruisers to run the power i. but im just glad they decided early so the coach can get them in the weight room and i think he should make a rule if u dont lift then you dont play. i believe strength and conditioning wins ball games because a strong conditoned athlete will always prevail on top in the 4th quarter

fhsfan
Riding the Bench

Post by fhsfan »

I think everyone has point in how this hiring transpired, but now that it is done, we need to get behind Coach Carroll and support the team. Those who supported Coach Wilcoxen (Clayton) know how it feels to have no support, so they should be the first in line to support the coach.

Ump
Freshman Team

Post by Ump »

The FHS BOE is once again afraid of being in a law suit. All OVC football coaches are jumping with joy now.

RationalVoice
Freshman Team

Post by RationalVoice »

fhsfan,
Slight correction...
Wilcoxen did have the support of almost every parent, almost every player, the FYFL, and - in my estimation - the majority of the community. He simply didn't have the support of 3 board members. And (not trying to stir up trouble here - just stating facts) the shady part here is that they hired the least qualified candidate (by far - look at their backgrounds) with no interviews.

fhsfan
Riding the Bench

Post by fhsfan »

Rational,

I agree...no reason to start anything here. However, I do live in the community and sat in the stands for most of the games in which Wilcoxen coached. I will give you that he had support from players and probably parents. However, I think the community is another story. I would say he had the support of those who are the most vocal in a public meeting. However, there are many in the community who did not support him, but simply chose to express that to a board member or just keep to themselves. Just because they are not vocal does not mean he had a majority of community support.

The biggest problem here is the board did not interview any of the candidates. I do not understand why there were no interviews.

RationalVoice
Freshman Team

Post by RationalVoice »

We'll just have to disagree - and that's okay. I would, however, bet any amount of money that the majority of the community support him. I, too, live in the district & attend many games at different levels. I have yet to meet one person who was against him - not one. The worst I've heard is something to the effect of, "I don't agree with all of his decisions, but he was dedicated and a hard worker.". Plus, you can't listen to the "coaches" in the stands. Over the years, I've attended some Ironton & Wheelersburg games, for example, and even there, I've heard fans voicing displeasure at calls - and look at their success. The ones who are the most informed - those closest to the program - support him.
Now - for the more important and timely issue...
This board is making a mockery of fairness and due process. They need to be voted out - for the district's sake. This coaching hire is just one example. I know, for example, that when Chesapeake hired Davis as their basketball coach, they went through a thorough screening & interview process, which took a lot of time & effort. And it worked - they got a very good coach. Our board holds a sudden, secret morning meeting and suddenly decides it's going to hire a coach right then & there with no interviews - and hire the least qualified one at that. It's irresponsible & changes need to be made.

purpleblood1
JV Team

Post by purpleblood1 »

This board is no different than many of the other that have been at Fairland over the years. Look at all the shady things that have gone on with BOE at Fairland for years. When I coached Jr High at Fairland I got grief for not playing a board members son more, then had a board member make me get rid of my best assistant (a volunteer) because he wasn't approved by the board. Is that rule still on the books cause they passed it at the next board meeting. Then I was fired because I played all the kids instead of going for the win. I even told the parents in my preseason letter (that I paid for and mailed with my own money) that ever kid would be treated the same and that's the way I did it. I believe that building character is more important at that level than winning. Every kid played every game, but winning was more important at that level than learning the game according to the principal and the BOE and that's why I was fired. So don't believe that this is a new thing at Fairland.

Return to “Football”