Northwest switching from SOC 2 to SOC 1?

Westfan
SEOP

Northwest switching from SOC 2 to SOC 1?

Post by Westfan »

Not sure what I think of this. Good move for the big schools, but a bad move for the small schools going forward.

http://portsmouth-dailytimes.com/bookmark/16498966

starbase_318
Varsity

Re: Northwest switching from SOC 2 to SOC 1?

Post by starbase_318 »

I'd say this would be an excellent time for them to rebuild their program, ground up. After a few years (10) bring them back. Success breeds success and you build a winner kids will come. Now, I hope they allow Portsmouth into the SOC II. It's stupid they aren't allowed in. The league is as balanced as it has ever been in my lifetime. IN any given year, you can have a team win the league. TO me, that's exciting for our schools. If you work hard and do your best, you have a chance at being a league champion. That hasn't always been the case.

blue53
All State

Post by blue53 »

Great move for Northwest football. Now, they can try to rebuild their program from ground up.

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

Then it is time to let Portsmouth in to replace them. A five team league for SOCII teams means we have to find a 6th non league game and most of us are playing Portsmouth anyways!

ohiostbucks99
Freshman Team

Post by ohiostbucks99 »

i dont see Portsmouth getting in,,,,ever but this is a good move for the mohawks maybe they can win 1 conference game now

ohiostbucks99
Freshman Team

Post by ohiostbucks99 »

they will never let portsmouth in,,,good move for northwest maybe they can win 1 conference game now :122245

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

JohnKnight wrote:Then it is time to let Portsmouth in to replace them. A five team league for SOCII teams means we have to find a 6th non league game and most of us are playing Portsmouth anyways!
I agree 100%. The SOC finally did the right thing and moved Northwest to the small school SOCI, so now do the right thing again and allow the Trojans in.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

I think this is a great idea, long overdue. Like previously stated, winning breeds winning and if they can get a few titles maybe they can eventually move back up to Soc II. Hopefully they will stick Frye and the current staff to build some continuity and hopefully the can be successful.

With this happening anything is possible. I thought I would never see this, just as I thought I would never see the day Ptown would be admitted to the Soc, but you never know. The old complaint was that Portsmouth would dominate every sport, but at this point I think it would be very balanced, especially in football (they probably would finished 3rd-5th this season).

hbk2016
Varsity

Post by hbk2016 »

This would be a great time for Waverly to move to SVC and Portsmouth to take their place in SOC II.

Good move for Waverly and good move for Portsmouth

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

I think its a good move for Northwest.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

I hate playing Northwest in football. But with the largest enrollment in the county, moving them to the small school division just because their terrible at football right now isn't fair to Green, Notre Dame, and East. Oak Hill and NW as solid D4 - high D5 teams enrollment wise have no business playing in the SOC I against small D6 schools. These schools, I would guess were the 3 no votes; and rightfully so.

If NW and Oak Hill cannot compete in the SOC II, then they they need to look for another league or go independent. They have no problem competing (winning) at a high level in basketball and other sports. If you can't play them all, go away all-together. West struggles big time at basketball, but they don't wine and cry about it.

As far as Portsmouth. NW being re-evaluated later basically means they could be moved back. So the SOC II will have to be treated as if they still have 6 teams until that happens. Do they want a potential 7 team league?

Valley (next year), Wheelersburg, and West, already play them. So schedule wise moving Portsmouth to the SOC II doesn't help them at all.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Portsmouth would start ruling this league

starbase_318
Varsity

Post by starbase_318 »

Only if they get a coaching change, would they "RULE" the league. The Pirates and The SIders have owned the Trojans the past few years. Anyway rumor on the street from earlier this season the trojans will be in the OVC in 2013, jv's start next year.

Coach's new philosophy, if you can't beat them downsize the competition. I'm sure they'll win the OVC most years.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

noreply66 wrote:Portsmouth would start ruling this league

How do you see that? The Burg has owned Portsmouth in football for the most part and played really even with them in basketball over the years, so just how would they "rule the league".

footballfan
JV Team

Post by footballfan »

starbase_318 wrote:Only if they get a coaching change, would they "RULE" the league. The Pirates and The SIders have owned the Trojans the past few years. Anyway rumor on the street from earlier this season the trojans will be in the OVC in 2013, jv's start next year.

Coach's new philosophy, if you can't beat them downsize the competition. I'm sure they'll win the OVC most years.
I don't think Portsmouth was voted into the MS OVC and will not be joining the league any time soon. Rumor is Oak Hill, Symmes Valley, and Tolsia WV want into the league with Tolsia having the strongest interest in doing so.

blue53
All State

Post by blue53 »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:
noreply66 wrote:Portsmouth would start ruling this league

How do you see that? The Burg has owned Portsmouth in football for the most part and played really even with them in basketball over the years, so just how would they "rule the league".

I had a pretty good laugh at his comment burg grad. PHS will have a couple good yrs here and there, but unless there is changes made, I don't see them ruling much either. This years team would have had them at 4th place at best in the soc 2

s.v.vikinglinex2
Varsity

Post by s.v.vikinglinex2 »

Symmes Valley does not want in the OVC. We are just fine where we are.

ZacBrownBand
Varsity

Post by ZacBrownBand »

I think it's a good move for Northwest. They have a hard time competing in the SOC 2 right now with all of the loaded teams we have just about every year. SOC 1 has been, in recent years, less talented overall. This could give them a shot to compete for a SOC 1 title instead of being in the basement of the SOC 2.

This can get them on the winning track. Lead to a good future.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Northwest 2011

Southeastern (4-6) W 25-13
Sciotoville Community School (7-4) L 27-34
Huntington (0-10) W 48-21
Notre Dame (7-3) W 23-20
Symmes Valley (10-2) L 17-28
Wheelersburg (7-3) L 7-34
Minford (4-6) L 0-43
Valley (12-0) L 7-42
Portsmouth West (10-2) L 7-55
Waverly (3-7) L 20-55

Zach, if you look at Northwests schedule from this past season you see they played 3 SOCI teams and lost to 2 of them. So they may not fair all that much better in the lower tier, but I still think it's a better fit for them. At least they shouldn't go 0-5 over the last 5 weeks of the season almost every year.

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

i think this could be good for northwest. i always feel sorry for there fans seeing them play the big boys. as a valley fan tho i always liked playing them cause of the location. it was kinda a rivalry. i would love to see portsmouth join the soc. its prob not going to happen tho.

Return to “Football”