Thanks to Roger Gray and WNXT....

wink
JV Team

Thanks to Roger Gray and WNXT....

Post by wink »

Thank you for the many hours and hundreds of games you have sent out to us fans in the hinterlands over the years. Most of us out here sincerely appreciate being able to sit on our couch with a bowl of popcorn and enjoy the games. Many simply cannot make it out to the games for one reason or another.
Although a few will even take shots at the way Roger sometimes presents the games and making a few mistakes in the process... such as calling a team by their wrong name, etc., most of us are thankful to hear what you work so hard to send out. Brother, if you don't know who the two teams are that you are listening to is, you shouldn't even be allowed near a radio (or any other electrified instrument) in the first place.
I saw another say Roger should retire. Be careful what you wish for. WNXT may decide not to replace the Sports Director and replace him instead with some shock jock that will play rap music for your listening enjoyment every Friday night. Could easily happen ya know.

Jess sayin'.

Another big thanks to Roger, WNXT and all the fine sponsers that bring us the games.

THANK YOU !!!!

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Re: Thanks to Roger Gray and WNXT....

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

I too appreciate WNXT doing all of the local teams like they do. The biggest problems I have with Roger Gray is that if you tune in late you may go half a quarter before he ever gives a score, especially if no one is scoring. He very rarely spots the ball or gives the yard to gain. He does sometimes call a player or team by the wrong name and it's funny how the guy that is with him now will correct him every time. Personally, I think Chuck Greenslate and his cohort do a much better job of calling a game.

blue53
All State

Post by blue53 »

I'm very glad that WNXT carries the games. Chuck does a great job. But Roger over the last several years just gets hard to follow the game. I appreciate for what he has done in the past and keeping local sports on the radio.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Roger = class act!

starbase_318
Varsity

Post by starbase_318 »

Ah, the voice of reason! Of course, many of us are very grateful for having a way of listening to local teams on Friday Nights. The errors they make are tolerable compared to the alternative, nothing at all! But, it is a fans prerogative to poke fun at the refs, announcers, etc....right? All in fun of course. Thank YOU WNXT for bringing a taste of home to those of us who can't watch games at the stadiums!

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

If you want to hear how a game should be called then tune in to 107.5 and listen to Chuck Greenslate do the East game. He gives the LOS and the yard to gain every play.

JayBruce
Waterboy

Post by JayBruce »

Southern Ohio is very lucky to have WNXT and a guy like Roger Gray!! One of these days when he does retire, the radio station will not replace him and games won't be covered at all. I for one appreciate Roger and all that he's done for sports in Scioto County and southern Ohio in general.

ACCBiggz
JV Team

Post by ACCBiggz »

JayBruce wrote:One of these days when he does retire, the radio station will not replace him and games won't be covered at all.
Sorry, but statements like that are nonsense. Local high school games draw the biggest ratings for radio stations. During normal hours you draw just the fans of the format (Adult contemporary, rock, etc.) but when you have a local sport contest you draw the community. Especially in an area such as Scioto County where everyone LOVES the local athletics scene they will find someone new and continue broadcasting contests.

It happens at the vast majority of local radio stations. Jackson County stations (96.7, 98.7, 97.7 and whatever the AM one is) airs all of the local clubs: Jackson, Wellston, Oak Hill and Vinton County. Because it draws. They put people with no broadcasting history on the mic to make sure they have someone to cover it (No offense to Mr. Perdue, if he still does it for Wellston, but he's a teacher not a PBP or Color Commentator).

Sorry, but it's just asinine to suggest a radio station would stop broadcasting athletic events in Scioto County. Although, if they do please contact me so I can invest in a new one and make a killing.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Not only that, but Chuck Greenslate does an excellent job and could step right in and fill Rogers shoes no problem.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

If you get a chance, listen to Wheelings kiss fm broadcasting St. Clairsville next saturday night...have a puke bag ready.

tl895
Varsity

Post by tl895 »

one of the worst play by play people i have ever heard

Blu_n_Whyt
Freshman Team

Post by Blu_n_Whyt »

ACCBiggz: Unfortunatley, ratings don't factor into why a station carries local high school sports, especially in our rural communities because they are mostly unrated markets.

It all too often comes down to dollar and cents.

Many small market areas like Portsmouth, Chillicothe, Marietta, etc. have carried local high school sports for monetary benefit. It's something they've done for a long time (i.e., WBEX in Chillicothe since it went on the air in 1947).

Change comes when interest begins to wane or there's a long timer calling it quits. For instance, the day will come when my buddy Roger will hang up the headsets. Many folks aren't aware, he's the driving force as the salesman gathering the necessary advertisers to participate in the broadcasts.

The dynamics have changed in some areas. Many local businesses have made cut backs in their advertising budgets. And if they've cut back on sports, finding a replacement sponsor is getting more and more difficult. A radio station is then forced to make unpopular decisions to survive.

Let's say retirment comes for a vital member who keeps radio coverage of high school sports alive, and the station doesn't replace him with someone with a similar passion. Covering high school sports becomes a liability to the budget's bottom line (phone installation costs for broadcast, the personnel to call the games and to run the broadcasts in the studio). Hence, the pencil pushing bean counters decide to replace it with something less expensive to run (normally automated syndicated programming). Sadly, it's happened many places over the last few years.

Hillsboro radio lost the services of 40+ year veteran Ernie Blankenship last year. Fortunately, they've kept their sports coverage alive.

It starts with sponsorship. If the interest begins to wane, coverage gets silenced.

This is why it's vitally important for our stations, that fans of high school sports patronize the sponsors who are on the game broadcasts and vocalizing "thank you's" so they know there's an appreciation for their helping make the broadcasts possible.

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Post by WitnessProtection »

Blu_n_Whyt is spot on in his assessment. If you want to keep prep sports on the air in your community,you need to support your local radio station. If you're a business owner, spend a little coin with the station from time to time. And, for pete's sake, don't turn down a sales rep if they come to your door asking you to buy ads on prep broadcasts!!!!!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think WNXT may still be locally owned, which is a big plus if it is.
Roger has done a fine job there over the years. He was always extremely courteous to me when I visited Portsmouth to cover games.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Been a long time supporter of the broadcasts and Roger. Appreciate it always.

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

Did this station do the Ironton vs. Johnstown game? If possible could you send a copy of the game to the Johnstown coaching staff? It is awesome to have the game with the radio broadcast as well. PM me for more info or if you have any questions!

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

55Buckeyes98 wrote:Did this station do the Ironton vs. Johnstown game? If possible could you send a copy of the game to the Johnstown coaching staff? It is awesome to have the game with the radio broadcast as well. PM me for more info or if you have any questions!

WIRO out of Ironton does all of Irontons games.

Return to “Football”